Jeb_CC's (Dodgy) Music:

Sign in to follow this  

I've decided to make a thread here so I can stop cluttering the Music thread in the General area of the forum. XD About time, really. I love making music and would like to get better and create better songs, but I need better programs and software and currently I am just a mere poor high-school student. :P So for now, I've been making my music off basic MIDI programs and sheet-writing software (Jazz + MuseScore). I make both piano songs and basic rock/electronic soundtracks.

Here's a few piano songs:

<- One of my favourites

Aaand some other songs with varied instruments:

<- Another of my favourites

Also I'm pretty sure Vapymid helped me with at least ONE of these songs, I've lost track, I've made too many songs. XD So, high-fives for him. :P

Like I said, they're dodgy as all fuck but I would love to get some better software so I can make cool effects and shit, vary the volume and the instruments. :P One day.

If I make any new music, I'll dump it here.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Jeb what kind of software are you using? I tried making my own music once with a program called LMMS(Linux Multimedia Music Studio). Now despite the name it works on Windows and Mac too. From my own experience LMMS can crash occasionally (make sure to save your projects often.) but it's free and it's way better than nothing. Not only does LMMS include a ton of instruments you can also download more instruments known as VST plugins. I honestly know nothing about composing music so I wasn't able to get much out of it. But that's my fault not LMMS's. maybe you'll get more use out of it than I did. There's plenty of videos on Youtube to help you get acclimated with LMMS. Though I learned how to use LMMS mostly from just playing around with it.

https://lmms.io/

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

I just listened to them all and I have to say, they are amazing! I especially liked the piano ones, but the songs with more instruments are all great too.

I hope you find a way to make more in better audio quality, I really like your style

@Helio: Sorry for the late reply. XP I use MuseScore to create the initial score, and use Jazz if I want to change the instruments of it. But I'll definitely take a look at that program later. :D

@MrKittyCat: :D Why thank you! ^-^

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

I had a fiddle with the LMMS program. :D It's really nice. I created a score in MuseScore, turned it into a midi file and gave it to LMMS. For some reason the sound seems better in that program, dunno why but I had a play around with the effects and stuff and ooohhh my gosh this is amazing, holy fuck.

If you thought you couldn't get dizzy from music... you're wrong. XD Chuck a pulsator effect on that thing and woaaaah... the music phases from ear to ear real quickly and repeatedly and wow... is this what it's like to consume illegal substances? XD

Anyway, this was my test song I suppose, just a piano song. But I really want to do something with more intruments now. :D That can be my next creation.

Thank you very much Helio for this. ^-^

-------

I had a fiddle with the LMMS program. :D It's really nice. I created a score in MuseScore, turned it into a midi file and gave it to LMMS. For some reason the sound seems better in that program, dunno why but I had a play around with the effects and stuff and ooohhh my gosh this is amazing, holy fuck.

If you thought you couldn't get dizzy from music... you're wrong. XD Chuck a pulsator effect on that thing and woaaaah... the music phases from ear to ear real quickly and repeatedly and wow... is this what it's like to consume illegal substances? XD

Anyway, this was my test song I suppose, just a piano song. But I really want to do something with more intruments now. :D That can be my next creation.

Thank you very much Helio for this. ^-^

You're welcome Jeb :D , glad you like LMMS. I'm getting a very Sims 1 vibe from your piano song, it's really good. Have by chance heard any of the Sims 1 soundtrack?

I think I played the Sims 1 waaaaay ages ago when I was a wee little ankle-biter. XP But, I haven't heard the soundtrack recently. I've been playing The Sims 3 lately though, does that count? :P

-------

I think I played the Sims 1 waaaaay ages ago when I was a wee little ankle-biter. XP But, I haven't heard the soundtrack recently. I've been playing The Sims 3 lately though, does that count? :P

Sims 3 has got bits and pieces of Sims 1's soundtrack but it's not as good as Sims 1's soundtrack. Sims 1's soundtrack was scored by Jerry Martin and his work is excellent. I found a video of the whole Sims 1 OST a while back so this should give you a feel for Jerry Martin's work. Particularly All the build mode songs which start at 40:08 and end at 1:06:05.

Mtf7pocKg-E

Sorry for the late reply - just wanted to add something else to my post other than a simple 'thanks'. :D Thanks by the way. :P But yeah, I love piano music, and the Sims uses a lot of that. Or even instruments similar to that of a piano. I can't help but create piano songs - as a piano player. XD And the aim of the songs are just to be catchy I think. I mean, in the Sims you don't have much dialogue going on so it's nice to have something melodious in the background.

But I have a question...

I'm in the middle of creating a song at the moment but I'm unhappy with how it sounds on the soundfonts I have available to me. So I was wondering...

Does anyone know a good site where I can get soundfonts from? Preferably free...

And also, does anyone know where to find the soundfont for Windows? I notice some of my songs actually sound really decent on the default MIDI soundfont, but I have been unable to find where it's located. :S Thus I can't tell my program to use the default midi sounds. Or perhaps, do you know how to make LMMS use the default soundfont? :D

Thank you!

-------

Sorry for the late reply - just wanted to add something else to my post other than a simple 'thanks'. :D Thanks by the way. :P But yeah, I love piano music, and the Sims uses a lot of that. Or even instruments similar to that of a piano. I can't help but create piano songs - as a piano player. XD And the aim of the songs are just to be catchy I think. I mean, in the Sims you don't have much dialogue going on so it's nice to have something melodious in the background.

But I have a question...

I'm in the middle of creating a song at the moment but I'm unhappy with how it sounds on the soundfonts I have available to me. So I was wondering...

Does anyone know a good site where I can get soundfonts from? Preferably free...

And also, does anyone know where to find the soundfont for Windows? I notice some of my songs actually sound really decent on the default MIDI soundfont, but I have been unable to find where it's located. :S Thus I can't tell my program to use the default midi sounds. Or perhaps, do you know how to make LMMS use the default soundfont? :D

Thank you!

I actually didn't know what a soundfont was till you mentioned it. I did some digging and apparently the default MIDI soundfont for Windows XP is located at c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\gm.dls . I'm on Windows 7 and the file is still there so it will probably still be there for you as well. That's all I got though, sorry. As I said I literally just found out what a soundfont is moments ago. :D

Edit: Okay so gm.dls isn't Soundfont it's DLS. You have to convert it soundfont using a sample converter. I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm going off of what this person posted here over at Superuser http://superuser.com/questions/107255/wheres-windows-xp-standard-midi-soundfont .

Nevermind, I think I figured what is going on.

Basically, Windows XP uses the DLS (Downloadable Soundbank) library. It can be found in c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\gm.dls . It should be possible to convert this DLS soundbank to a SoundFont (*.SF2) using a converter - reportedly, Extreme Sample Converter offers this functionality.

Anyway, I have found this publicly available SoundFont (link). It sounds almost exactly like Windows's standard MIDI soundbank, so it solves my problem :)

So this song is a LOT different from my other songs. :) But I'm loving the LMMS program so much now that I've had a closer look at it.

I classed this as a trance song cause it is kinda... trancey. XD

-------

I wouldn't put it fully into the Trance category, but it does have many elements of Trance. Quite interesting. :)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Fair enough. :) If I may ask, what do you think would be a better genre for it? Cause despite making so much music, I honestly have no idea about genres. XD

-------

Well, I personally am not well versed in all the electronic subgenres, so I can't really help you out with a specific single subgenre, but I can say that it is only partially Trance. If you can find somewhere that lists all the various subgenres, (that'd be a LONG list) with some example music, then I could help you, but I've been unable to find a site that does that. :(

Keep making the music though! :)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.