General Chat

Thing about me is when I go to sleep at night I leave a lot of things incomplete, and it's happened numerous times where when I shut everything down when it's incomplete, I have trouble remembering everything that I had on hold and where I left off. I don't have the most fantastic memory so even when I try to write stuff down I always leave something out. Suits me best to just boot it up and find everything where I left it.

Retired Forum Moderator

x06w9s9.png

This counter is going to get worse and worse. I usually like to keep a lot of things open in Google Chrome, just random pictures sometimes or chat history - keeps me sane I guess? :P And if I've created something recently, I keep that open too. Not as a; "I'm so proud of what I've done. I'm a cocky bitch." thing. XP I just like to look at my stuff - see any mistakes, figure out what I need to improve on next time I draw or make some music.

I also find the soft light of a laptop screen slightly comforting... 'soft' because I darken the screen brightness at night. But because I'm so like, sentimental of all my shit, my RAM dies so much. XD I just keep so many damn things open on my computer. I'm like... a hoarder... but on electronics. I have 2000 pictures on my phone because I feel like every one of them is important for some reason. :P Do I need help?

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

I'm very intrigued by the RAM actually. It's pretty much a cliff wall lol. 0 to 5 GB in the blink of an eye. Did you open everything all at once? XD

Even my ram doesn't do that and I have a habit of attempting to launch 7 programs before the first even began to load.

Also I forgot context for mine. The uptime only counts outside of sleep mode. I haven't turned the damn thing off since like December started. XD

Retired Forum Moderator

Oh, I think it only starts measuring the stats of my RAM and CPU when I've opened the task manager window so. :D

Just checked, yep, that's exactly it. X3 You had me worried though, cause I realized that does sudden very very off. XD Just open my laptop and BAM, GOODBYE RAM. WAS NICE KNOWING YOU!

But damn Rarity. You're torturing your computer. You monster! XD I'm never letting you borrow my electronics. :P I'm just going to warn you that right now. XP

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

Also I forgot context for mine. The uptime only counts outside of sleep mode. I haven't turned the damn thing off since like December started. XD

False, try it now. Record the uptime, set it to sleep for like 10 minutes, start it back up, and record it again. 10 minutes have gone by. Now it's not like all those processes and service were running the whole time, so setting a computer to sleep for 10 days is not the same as leaving it on for 10 days. But, coming from IT, I still highly recommend shutting down your computer every night.

Now for you Windows 8 and 10 people lets do an experiment, record your uptime and then Shut down your computer. Through the Start menu > Shut down, not restart. Now turn it back on and look at the uptime.

Unless you disabled the "feature", you'll notice your uptime was not rest to 0. That's because of Hybrid Shutdown. It's basically something in-between hibernation and shut down. It suspends the O/S to memory and then powers off. When you turn it back on, rather than start all the processes and services, it will read from the suspended O/S and resume them. Which is faster than a normal start up.

Personally I think it's terrible. Bugs and errors that could be prevented by regularly turning off your computer stick around with Hybrid-Shutdown. Because all of your computer's services and processes don't get a fresh start. It's hard to explain to people that there's now a difference between a reboot and shutting down and turn on again.

Disabling Hybrid Shutdown

I left it in sleep mode for about 20 minutes just now to go make food and only 40 seconds passed which is about the time between hitting sleep and relaunching. O_o

Regardless I try to make an effort to shut down when not needing to preserve something.

Retired Forum Moderator

I just tested it in Win10. Put it to sleep and 20 minutes later brought it out of sleep. Uptime went ahead 20 minutes. IDK!

So there's a new kind of weapon suppression system call Flow-Through Suppression.

Introduction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oXMrvDU7-Q

Demonstration with a .50 BMG. Notice there is no ear protection.

https://youtu.be/ndbfj-Jk0To?t=24s

Seems really slick, huge improvement over what we have.

I just tested it in Win10. Put it to sleep and 20 minutes later brought it out of sleep. Uptime went ahead 20 minutes. IDK!

You're comparing to Windows 7... 7 doesn't even have a hybrid shutdown capability, and sleep doesn't count in the uptime. (the system isn't actually on in sleep mode, it just sends a slight current to the RAM to prevent it from losing its stored data) Windows 8 and newer went and changed a ton of stuff, (including the timers) all without caring about why things were the way they were previously. (uptime timers are primarily to determine hardware usage times for business systems)

So there's a new kind of weapon suppression system call Flow-Through Suppression.

Introduction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oXMrvDU7-Q

Demonstration with a .50 BMG. Notice there is no ear protection.

https://youtu.be/ndbfj-Jk0To?t=24s

Seems really slick, huge improvement over what we have.

Believe it or not, there are much older and simpler designs that perform similarly... The problem with those are that they just aren't quite as durable. (maybe 1000 rounds instead of the OSS 10000 round rating for a 5.56NATO system, probly can't handle the pressure from a .50BMG though)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

My hard drive is nearly two-thirds full, so I've been reviewing what I have on it, and moving the more valuable things onto my backup drive.

Turns out I forgot to delete the windows.old folder after I reinstalled windows..two years ago. :roll:

EDIT: Now rockin' just under half full. Feels gooood.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Just looking for a sound editor like Fruityloops, one that can do MIDI files and use soundfonts. FL Studio turned out to be $200. FUCK THAT. So I look around for alternatives. They're all either not at ALL like FL, packed with trojans or also massively overpriced. I have just spent more than a few hours of wading through shady shit.

-vgZgLBIfbQ

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

Just looking for a sound editor like Fruityloops, one that can do MIDI files and use soundfonts. FL Studio turned out to be $200. FUCK THAT. So I look around for alternatives. They're all either not at ALL like FL, packed with trojans or also massively overpriced. I have just spent more than a few hours of wading through shady shit.

If you want a DAW like FL Studio, you will probably have to pay for it either way. FL is actually one of the cheapest alternatives when compared to Reason or Cubase.

I did come across an open source alternative once but don't remember what it was called at the top of my head and I don't think it was as fully featured...

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Really, I just need to be able to import, make and export MIDI files, and it needs to be able to use soundfonts. (At least the soundfonts are easy to find. I already picked up Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI and Earthbound soundfonts.)

And if I can't find an equivalent at a less batshit price, I'll get the super extra mega deluxe version from a rather different provider and not have to pay for it. Thry don't need to charge that much when they already made bank on the eleven previous versions and the dev cost for the new one was approximately seventeen cents and a pop-tart. And if the price was reasonable, I wouldn't be sailing into the piratebay while contemplating the best means of discreetly faxing them ASCII art of a middle finger.

Really, I just need to be able to import, make and export MIDI files, and it needs to be able to use soundfonts. (At least the soundfonts are easy to find. I already picked up Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI and Earthbound soundfonts.)

And if I can't find an equivalent at a less batshit price, I'll get the super extra mega deluxe version from a rather different provider and not have to pay for it. Thry don't need to charge that much when they already made bank on the eleven previous versions and the dev cost for the new one was approximately seventeen cents and a pop-tart. And if the price was reasonable, I wouldn't be sailing into the piratebay while contemplating the best means of discreetly faxing them ASCII art of a middle finger.

You should see how much they want for Cubase which isn't nearly as user friendly...

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

MuseScore, Jazz and Aria Maestosa are some MIDI programs that I use but they're probably not as good as what you're looking for. X3

-------

You should see how much they want for Cubase which isn't nearly as user friendly...

That suck does not make this suck suck less.