Looking for a new sci-fish/utopian/ideological etc TV series

Sign in to follow this  

Heya guys,

I just finished watched Man in the High Castle season two (which recently came out). I found this series very good and to my liking. Has anyone else watched it?

Anyway - I'm currently looking for something else to watch. I might be interested in something similar - a Sci-Fi, something utopian, ideological etc. My guess that book adaptations have very in-depth potential (not sure how many out there though). I'm looking for something that has something more to offer than just something to pass the time, something where you have to think more, or there are some bigger meanings in there. Anyone can suggest anything interesting?

Just some stuff I have seen sort of recently:

Man in the High Castle

Firefly

Arrival (movie)

Interstellar (movie)

some other stuff I have seen/read that I liked:

Dune (the old movie)

Fahrenheit 451 (novel/movie)

Gataca (movie)

Equilibrium (movie, although more action base, seemed very similar to Fahrenheit)

Children of Men (movie, action based, quite ok)

Jericho (tv series, was quite ok)

That's just some of the stuff that comes to mind at the moment.

I'd personally recommend the recent British TV series Black Mirror by the pessimistic comedian Charlie Brooker, although that show's premise is often more dystopian than utopian! In the tradition of psychological thrillers and speculative horror series like The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits, Black Mirror deals with uncanny and terrifying situations - often as a consequence of technological advancement and with overarching blackly comical elements. Brooker explained that each "episode has a different cast, a different setting, even a different reality. But they're all about the way we live now – and the way we might be living in 10 minutes' time if we're clumsy." If you don't watch anything other than the first episode of the debut season (entitled National Anthem) then I honestly think you wouldn't of wasted your time. I won't give anything away, and in-fact the story plays it's opening gambit almost right from the beginning with a premise so absurd and potentially crass that a lesser scriptwriter would certainly not been able to pull it off.

There are currently three seasons and the majority of it is marvellous, in my humble opinion.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I love the Expanse novels... I haven't seen the series yet - cause I'd rather die than sign up to any DRMed streaming channels :P But the book was excellent...

Regards

I'd personally recommend the recent British TV series Black Mirror by the pessimistic comedian Charlie Brooker, although that show's premise is often more dystopian than utopian! In the tradition of psychological thrillers and speculative horror series like The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits, Black Mirror deals with uncanny and terrifying situations - often as a consequence of technological advancement and with overarching blackly comical elements. Brooker explained that each "episode has a different cast, a different setting, even a different reality. But they're all about the way we live now – and the way we might be living in 10 minutes' time if we're clumsy." If you don't watch anything other than the first episode of the debut season (entitled National Anthem) then I honestly think you wouldn't of wasted your time. I won't give anything away, and in-fact the story plays it's opening gambit almost right from the beginning with a premise so absurd and potentially crass that a lesser scriptwriter would certainly not been able to pull it off.

There are currently three seasons and the majority of it is marvellous, in my humble opinion.

I second this. Black Mirror terrifies me more than any other horror film.

Actually Yngwie of Haus Malmsteen, feefty eenches of pure Svwedish beef.

Have you tried out Primeval. It's about Time Travel and Anomalies to the past and the future, so it involves Dinosaurs and Future predators. It's actually pretty good, and it's all set in the UK

Non Nobis Domine, Non Nobis, Sed Nomine, tuo da Glorium