It's time for the Star Wars franchise... to end

Sign in to follow this  

15 years ago, Drew Karpyshyn and the pre-EA writing staff Bioware proved, once and for all, that excellent Star Wars stories can exist outside the skywalker saga and the original trilogy. Ever since that magical moment, I wanted more, and I expected more following Disney's acquisition of the franchise. But what we got was passable, adequate, half-baked and half rehashed. And whether you agree with the new direction of the story or not, Kathleen Kennedy has taken some serious liberties with the established lore, choosing to bastardize and cannibalize the stories all we know and love instead of coming up with something truly original.

So why go on like this? For the next 50 years Disney will overturn every nostalgic rock on planet Wookieepedia in the hopes of turning it into a C+/B- cashcow that everyone will see once, and then forget about 20 minutes later. If they are not gonna try, then why wait around for Star Wars to devolve into something akin to Zombie Simpsons. They've had a good run, let's have a graceful exit ( not like that will ever happen)

"But what about the chance of a rebound?" It's possible, but imo, unlikely. I can only speculate what goes though the minds of sociopathic film industry executives, but I doubt that they will do something risky to hurt potential box office numbers. And as people continue to loose interest, the chance for another Empire Strikes watershed grows slimmer.

So yeah. Do you think SW has run its course?

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

Star Wars is a product of its time, it's not bad but people treat it as some sort of sacred and holy cinema masterpiece, when really it's honestly just, well, passable. It's not like the established lore was ever really fantastic to begin with, it certainly is original, but it's not very interesting. As far as I'm concerned, if I could choose between the prequels, original trilogy, and Disney's star wars, I'd pick Disney first because at the very least those are fun to watch. If I want to see a movie for the depth of its plot and universe, Star Wars isn't going to be my first pick. I don't necessarily disagree that the franchise should end, but as long as people are still entertained by Star Wars movies and games, I see no reason to stop making them.

the name's riley

Star Wars is a product of its time, it's not bad but people treat it as some sort of sacred and holy cinema masterpiece, when really it's honestly just, well, passable.

It changed the ways movies were made forever, so I think it's a bit more than just passable.

It's not like the established lore was ever really fantastic to begin with, it certainly is original, but it's not very interesting.

Yeah, 90% of the expanded universe is hot garbage, but there some stories that stand head and shoulders above the rest. Don't just think and accept that star wars is limited in its scope. Lucas and Disney have brainwashed everyone to think that way; they're lying to you. I mean look at KoTOR, it was and still is the best thing to happen outside the OT.

I'd pick Disney first because at the very least those are fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdm8rpv045U

Personally, I'd hate to see an ongoing Marvelization of Star Wars. It has/had the potential to be so much more than just dumb fun movies.

I'm enjoying where they're taking Star Wars, to be honest. I'm super excited to see what they're going to do in Episode 9. It's certainly going in a different direction than the EU books took it and I'm happy for that.

I do wish some characters from the EU would appear, however, such as Thrawn, Mara Jade, and possibly even people like Kyle Katarn, Winter and Exar Kun. But that's just me. Perhaps the way forward, after these movies are done, is by going back to the Old Republic. Fresh fields to plow there.

Just.... Just no Yuuzhan Vong, please.

There sure are a lot of blasphemous heretics on this site /s

I'd be s lot more excited about the new direction if it didn't shit on the foundations of the OT, e.g Luke. But even putting that aside, I don't think it's good enough to hold a candle to the star wars namesake. Much better than the prequels, but still disappointing.

Maybe Disney can quench the thirst of millions of Star Wars fans, but nothing combats thirst better than a refreshing ice cold Coca-Cola

https://us.coca-cola.com

lol, gotta love when you ban a spammer and delete their posts so that now nothing makes sense...

Just doing my job

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I'm bored with it, but I feel that way about a lot of movies. It's partially age. I've seen most stories in one form or another, so not much is new. But some of it is the degradation of film-making. I think John Wick is boring and the fight scenes go on too long. They're cool and all, but often found myself wondering when this fight scene was going to end. That's no bueno. I blame the fact that copyright lasts for like a hundred years and 6 media companies own everything.

Excuse me, I have to go outside and shout at some clouds...

Personally, I love Star Wars.

I've filled my head with too much lore from the Expanded Universe and Canon (no regrets), so my opinion on the franchise is very biased.

But if you have an overly biased opinion on something and still think it's "meh", then there's something wrong.

My answer: I love the new Star Wars stuff we're getting from Disney, but they could be doing a lot better.

We'll just have to wait and see what J.J pulls off in December.

On 8/13/2018 at 7:58 AM, danielsangeo said:

Just.... Just no Yuuzhan Vong, please.

Lol, I was reading the Legacy of the Force series some time ago, and I recall the Yuuzhan Vong seriously screwing everything over. I suppose it would be for the better if they weren't included.

Edited by oak_coffee
edited the post because why not (see edit history)

All they have to do is make it less "this magic thing happens because the writer decided that the universe works differently for this paragraph than any other time in the script", and more internally consistent with the established universe. (basically what we already know about our own universe, adding the force and FTL, and nothing radically different)

Solo was actually a really good Star Wars movie IMO, and apart from the original trilogy, better than all but Rogue One.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Solo wasn't bad, but it was unnecesary as a part of SW. They crammed every reference from the first movies they could just because we "needed" to see it for some reason. If it weren't Han solo and it was it's own thing, it would have been pretty good. I also sort of hate prequels in concept and in practice.

I thought Rogue One was kinda bad. About 30 minutes in I realized all these characters die and I know what happens, it's another prequel, why is this happening. The main character was also unlikeable and aparently her parents felt the same way, because the opening scene was unbeleivable. her mother would rather die than survive and be with her. Personally, if building a D-Star would ensure the safety of my son, I'd build 5 D-Stars and make them IMPREGNABLE.