FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 58

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

FM58.jpg

(Downloadable copy will be up later)

Subtitles: English

The next Freeman's Mind episode is out, after a much-longer-than-expected delay! I'm guessing some people guessed the content of this episode was next, but probably not everyone. Due to this episode being filmed in a different engine, on a technical level, it was actually the most difficult one since the original, maybe even moreso in some ways. I had to invent some new tricks to make the visuals semi-consistent with the previous episodes. My apologies about the delay, this one didn't get started on until July and while the voicework has been done on this one for a few weeks, the sound editing took way more work than usual and I was working on other things while Otto finished this one off.

Some of you may be concerned I won't get to finishing Half-Life 1 this year at this rate, and if every episode was going to take this long, you'd be right. However, Freeman's Mind has been shifting to become a priority and I have confidence I'll be able to get Half-Life completed this year. What I don't know is if I'll have any holiday-related Game Dungeon episodes or the DOTA 2 voice pack redo before FM is done, I'll just have to see how things go.

While the next episode will likely take longer than average, it absolutely won't take as long as the gap between 57 and 58.

LINK TO FORUM COMMENTS

Brilliant Job, Ross, I actually loved this episode more than Episode 28 or 29 (whichever one that had the Looney Tunes line)

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

I really enjoyed this episode, especially with the return of the ghost. And covering up a cover up of a cover up? That is a pretty sweet idea.

I was going to mention

Half Life: Uplink

in the last thread, but thought my idea was stupid.

Tell me, how did you get it to run properly? I assume you ran it on an emulator like Arcade America, because when I ran it in compatibility mode I couldn't change the resolution.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

Gordon managed to waltz through the portals while high. A true scientist on drugs!

Some viewers identified the episode to be on HL:Uplink. Ross, is this true?

EDIT: Oops, I didn't see kingkolton9 spoiler tag.

And stupid me didn't watch the credits in full.

The FOV sure seems different.

I'm not sure if it was intended or not, but the sat dish wasn't exactly pointed at USNRC...

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Sign in Tip-Top Variety store window reads, 'Bitch-Slapped-By-The-Invisible-Hand-Of-The-Marketplace Sale'.

Wait, Ross what do you mean filmed in a different engine? What engine?

EDIT: Ah, I forgot about Uplink. It is kinda the lost Half-Life title. Interesting choice.

To be honest I'm not 100% certain how I feel about this episode.

I was really looking forward to continuing the main game, but any episode of FM is good by me.

Also I've never even heard of Half-Life: Uplink before.

Wait, Ross what do you mean filmed in a different engine? What engine?

The engine that the original Half-Life was made in, GoldSrc. A bit of a prelude to the Source engine we all know and love.

EDIT: Took a page from everyone else's book and put it in a spoiler.

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.

Brilliant episode, Ross! Hope it'll be chalked up to being a fever dream. :)

Different engine in the spoilers:

The video is of Uplink, which is in the Goldsrc engine. The rest of Freeman's Mind is using the Source engine (from Half Life: Source).

EDIT: By the way, subtitles may be delayed for upwards to a week. A lot of high-priority things going on right now and I have to put off lower priority things such as these subs to a later date. Thousands upon thousands of apologies. Please be patient; they will be done! :)

Not easily, ThatGuy. I don't know if Ross wants to reveal the secret, but this was part of the reason it took longer to make.

Wow, I am really surprised at the reception this episode got on YouTube. Then again, I really shouldn't be reading those comments.

I'm not sure if it was intended or not, but the sat dish wasn't exactly pointed at USNRC...

Ah, you noticed that too, huh? :P

Also, personal apologies on my part, good folks. The first couple of sound attempts that were sent to Ross were not quite perfect,

given how the old engine rendered some different sounds on different levels. So keeping things consistent and working around the

timing took forever. At least it's 13:24 minutes long though.

Yeah I think the FOV may have been a bit screwed for this one now that I look back at it, sorry about that, I can try and experiment with the next one and see if it translates to the demo file.

Actually the holstering is the result of r_drawviewmodel, just maybe not how you think

Ok… I imagined that Ross took out viewmodel of one of HL's weapons and replaced it with empty one, which would be empty hands, so changing to it would just put the weapon down, and from it — unholster next one.

BTW, was weapon damage or monster hitpoints edited (or scale)? Or both?

People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

The ventriloquist line was brilliant. As was the episode! Really wasn't expecting Ross to move to this game. Quite a nice surprise.

"I tell you one thing: I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

The ventriloquist line was brilliant.
Yeah, there's only so many bugs I can fix. Stuff like this is why I'm trying to retire from source and get proficient in another engine.

The ventriloquist line was brilliant.
Yeah, there's only so many bugs I can fix. Stuff like this is why I'm trying to retire from source and get proficient in another engine.

May I ask how you got the game to run so well? I've tried to play it but there were so many bugs it was unusable.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.