ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: REVENANT

I'm going to take a guess here: He's going to review a game.

Preposterous! I don't believe you!

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.

I believe this time he'll review some old Germanic wood carvings.

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream?

Man, I completely forgot about that game! Seems like the kind of thing Ross would like.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

hes going to review the 3 of the 1/2 lifes

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

So at this point I am guessing that we can write off the promise you made in the fundraiser to get through Half-Life in Freeman's Mind before January 1 2015 because at the current pace that deadline is NOT going to be made. It's a shame that all of the people who gave a crapton of money to see that happen are going to be so let down by it not happening
It looks like you didn't read the previous comments. Either you bet a minimum of $20 against me that I won't make it, or you stop with further comments like this or else you'll get a ban. You have to put your money where your mouth is, essentially. You sound pretty confident I won't make it, so why not make some money off it?

Alright, you're on.

If you make it through HL1 in FM by 12:00 AM January 1 2015 GMT+8 then I'll donate AU$20 through the fundraiser page or any other method you care to name except physical means. If you don't then I will PM you my paypal address so you can put the $20 in, you are also welcome to use any other methods you like, just let me know beforehand so I can get the details ready

So at this point I am guessing that we can write off the promise you made in the fundraiser to get through Half-Life in Freeman's Mind before January 1 2015 because at the current pace that deadline is NOT going to be made. It's a shame that all of the people who gave a crapton of money to see that happen are going to be so let down by it not happening
It looks like you didn't read the previous comments. Either you bet a minimum of $20 against me that I won't make it, or you stop with further comments like this or else you'll get a ban. You have to put your money where your mouth is, essentially. You sound pretty confident I won't make it, so why not make some money off it?

Alright, you're on.

If you make it through HL1 in FM by 12:00 AM January 1 2015 GMT+8 then I'll donate AU$20 through the fundraiser page or any other method you care to name except physical means. If you don't then I will PM you my paypal address so you can put the $20 in, you are also welcome to use any other methods you like, just let me know beforehand so I can get the details ready

That's the spirit. I was thinking USD instead of AU, but that's close enough.

Hey, Ross, I'll bet you 1 dollar per video submission you can't put up a Patreon page.

Edit: I actually have no idea how that parses out, I'm a bit tired. I'll commit to give you money for each video is what I'm saying.

Btw, Ross, I am a programmer and I have done some work on getting older games to work on new hardware.

Here are some of the top things:

Upscaling: Textures that have transparency in them do not upscale correctly (likely the reason for the purple as another poster mentioned.

DirectX: The old versions of direct X were not well supported starting with DX9 so older versions of Direct3d and Direct sound have a ton of problems.

Redbook: CDs with redbook audio used special drivers that are not always fully compatible with newer hardware. You can get stuff to run, but it may not play all the time, or it may play several tracks at a time.

--techdude

Hey, Ross, I'll bet you 1 dollar per video submission you can't put up a Patreon page.
I may or may not do Patreon. My main concern with it is what extras I can offer without it digging too much into time and sacrificing other things. Besides, I'm still stretching the donation from earlier this year as far as I can. I thought even considering Patreon before finishing FM people might seem as greedy, although I really am making the money count.

Btw, Ross, I am a programmer and I have done some work on getting older games to work on new hardware.

Here are some of the top things:

Upscaling: Textures that have transparency in them do not upscale correctly (likely the reason for the purple as another poster mentioned.

DirectX: The old versions of direct X were not well supported starting with DX9 so older versions of Direct3d and Direct sound have a ton of problems.

Redbook: CDs with redbook audio used special drivers that are not always fully compatible with newer hardware. You can get stuff to run, but it may not play all the time, or it may play several tracks at a time.

--techdude

As for the textures, it makes me wonder what they're upscaling from, since the game only ran at one resolution. As for DirectX, Microsoft essentially killed off Directsound3D support with Vista onward. As for Direct3D, I will say on older games I have seen a little bit better compatibility on Nvidia hardware than AMD; although who knows, maybe on AMD I would have had less bugs with Revenant. For redbook audio, I've never had any problems, although I've never gotten it to work in-game via emulation. If I don't have the original disc, I'll usually burn the audio tracks to a CD-RW in order to hear it in-game.

The CD audio thing reminds me of an interesting quirk with the GoldSrc engine. Pop an audio CD in your drive, any audio CD really. Load up the original Half-Life. Even in the Steam version, it'll still play the music from the CD in the drive. My friend says that Quake also does this and he found that a certain album (he says Alice in Chains - Dirt) meshes very well with the gameplay. I wonder how many other games from that era have that quirk.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

I found that out the weird way.

I loaded up Half-Life one day and, IIRC, went into that area in Power Up where the HECU had set up sandbags on the platform between the two fans (this area), and suddenly music began to play. Music that was both inappropriate AND appropriate at the same time.

Enya's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTrk4X9ACtw.

Yeah I found it out once too. I accidentally left a disc in the drive and I was confused when I started up a game of Half-Life and the music on the disc started playing.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

I may or may not do Patreon. My main concern with it is what extras I can offer without it digging too much into time and sacrificing other things. Besides, I'm still stretching the donation from earlier this year as far as I can. I thought even considering Patreon before finishing FM people might seem as greedy, although I really am making the money count.

Well, you could just set it up quietly and not initially mention it except putting a link on the donations page. That solves most of your concerns right off the bat. It's not asking if you're not asking. As for rewards, not everyone needs them. People donate for many reasons. I don't know what percentage felt the same, but I donated mostly to show solidarity against Machinima and in gratitude for already created content. In addition, I like FM, but I actually prefer the game dungeon. I know you made some promises to help spur donates, so certainly you should keep them, but they weren't why I gave money. I just like Patreon because I can set it and forget it.

Subs published. I let myself to make a small modification at the very beginning of part 1 ;)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

That's fine. I approve. :)

Thanks! I always think subs should be kind of a "voice projection" as much as possible ;)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Hi Ross,

this has been probably asked before, but I couldn't find any solution so far..

How did you manage to emulate 3D graphics on virtual machine?

VirtualBox doesn't support Guest Additions for DOS-based OS and generic "SciTech Display Doctor" doesn't support 3D

Virtual PC 2007 also does not support 3D (that S3 card...)

VMWARE...also no dice.

I remember spending days trying to figure that out, and eventually gave up and purchased Win98 capable laptop, though I'd jump for virtual solution any time, since an extra machine takes up space and apart from Win98 environment is unusable. Also 2.5" IDE HDDs are pretty expensive nowadays.

Thanks for any input.. ;)