ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: TYRIAN

rgd_tyrian.jpg

Blip.tv link

Here is another one of the side projects I've been up to, a new series! "Ross's Game Dungeon" is a sort of game review show where I talk about things I think are worth mentioning on various games. While this first episode is more on the tame side, in the future I plan to differentiate this from other reviews in that I'm not going to treat this like a normal review where I analyze every detail of the gameplay or give it a rating, etc. For example, if I'm reviewing a train game, I may decide that it reminds me of an incident where a janitor stole a train and talk about that for a while instead before getting back to the game. So think of this show as part game review, part lecture, part whatever I want to talk about that's remotely relevant. While I probably will focus more on obscure PC games, I don't plan to limit myself to any particular kind (though for the near future I'll only be reviewing low-resolution games as I don't trust my computer to record much else), although if I do cover a mainstream one, my plan will be to focus on things you DON'T hear in every other review out there. Ultimately, my main criteria for me choosing a game is I need to have strong opinions about it one way or another.

This came about primarily because after joining That Guy With The Glasses, I was told by another creator that the vast majority of their content are reviews. Since I've played a lot of unheard of games that I can comment on, I thought this show would be worth trying. I like the idea of this show as it lets me make something constructive out of this otherwise worthless knowledge. For everyone who is groaning because I'm hopping on the game review / commentary bandwagon, I promise to keep doing other videos too.

For this first episode, I've covered Tyrian, a frigging masterpiece of a game that puts many others to shame. I had so much to say about this game the episode ran a little long. I think this first episode may have come out a little bit drier than I wanted, but I definitely hope to improve in the future. I expect a certain portion of people to hate this simply because it's not Freeman's Mind, but I think it has potential. Expect better writing and worse editing in future episodes.

Also to everyone waiting on more Freeman's Mind, that will continue too, my plan is once I'm up to speed is to have these in between FM episodes as I think I can potentially produce them faster. All in all, this is another experiment, but so was Freeman's Mind.

- - -

ADHD version: Ross made a game review show! Warning: It contains lots of talking.

LINK TO FORUM COMMENTS

Ross, I lost all of my shit when you just randomly added, "I'm piloting a carrot." No explanation at all. I intend to play this game when I'm done typing my response to you. I love the idea of this new series as well. Not only is it fun to watch, but, also, it is very informative with all of the humor your fans have grown to love exponentially more as we have watched you. Thank you Ross!

As a person from the Southern United States, I very much appreciated the amount of guns and vegetarian-mocking in this video. Looking forward to more!

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

Ross forgot to mention, that there is an arcade mode, where you collect weapons, not buy them. There's also a two player mode, where you control two diffferent ships and can combine them, which is absolutely AWESOME!

lol, just lol. i got one question- how the hell this is first time i hear about this?

i do hope, however, that there are some reviews of more known games, such as C&C tiberian dawn (aka c&c 95, freeware since 2007), Mafia- the city of lost heaven (it got bit more players after Mafia 2 but before that it was more of cult game), worms series, dangerous dave, monkey island games and few other good games, which names i have forgotten (i played lots of old games when i was young, some very good but which names i have mentioned and people go like "wut")

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

After Ross joined TGWTG.com I predicted that he`ll make a review show some day. I envisioned him sitting in front of a camera in a HEV suit replica with beard and glasses reviewing games as Gordon Freeman ;P

The format chosen by Ross is still ok and I like the idea.

Well I've definitely got to try this out! (despite my lack of skill at this sort of game). Then again, you did make it clear I won't be having the usual problems I have with this genre anyway.

As for the review, fantastic, you definitely got your point across and all that.

So nudity next time, huh? Good luck with that.

the Galaga lover in me weeps for not having known about this game before.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

As soon as I saw the game you were reviewing, I knew everything you were going to say about it... Didn't stop me from watching and laughing though. :)

Tyrian is hands down, one of the best games ever.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I didn't even know this game existed, it's amazing! Looking forward to more episodes of this, you did a great job on this one.

This is definitely my favorite game of all time and was the first game I ever played.

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

You know, that train janitor was actually falsely accused by the train company in a failed attempt to cover up their own incompetence and apparently quite lacking security procedures. It was all over the news here in Sweden for quite a while.

You know, that train janitor was actually falsely accused by the train company in a failed attempt to cover up their own incompetence and apparently quite lacking security procedures. It was all over the news here in Sweden for quite a while.
That's too bad, I was hoping it was just someone with an insane agenda.

I just finished watching the episode. My oh my, that was a good one. Different in tone from the other videos but by no means any less entertaining. I'm not much into vertical-shooters (I'm the kind that gets a free pass... for now. Ross will have to come back for me later) but it does look great.

To show how very little I'm into vertical-shooters, I have played three vertical-shooters in my entire life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmPjsBDN9Xw, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjWIqtkSlQE, and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzQE9YYBZbU (not sure if the last one counts as it alternates between vertical-scrolling and horizontal-scrolling). That's it.

But, my God, that music. I must have the soundtrack now.

Well it's better than most Scrolling shooters i've played.It grows on you,after a while.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This post has been approved by the local psychiatric ward. Play safe!