Dead Game News: Episode 4 (Fable Legends, Dust 514, Darkfall

Sign in to follow this  

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Dead Game News yet again! I have to say, when I started this, I really didn't think the news would be this frequent. The pace games are being killed off is a little insane. I increased my standards slightly this time and added screenshots of a few of the titles, and also used footage recorded by someone else that was sent to me. I'm still open to your game footage being used for some of the videos, but it has to be relatively high quality and not particularly distracting or full of spoilers. Anyway, I hope to have at least two normal videos this month.

COMMENTS

Hello everyone,I am planning to send some footage for the next video chat,so I was wondering what are the requirements.I know that it has to be at least 3h long and that it should be at least 720p,but how do I send it and where?

Hi Ross! Not sure how relevant it is to games dying for good, but there might be something to be said about online only games (MMORPGs mostly) that are in continuous state of development, and each time they receive a patch, some bigger update or an expansion, they change. Sometimes the changes are small, sometimes they are big, but ultimately, unless you can find some third party server running an older version of the game, you are forced to go with it. Even if you liked the game as it was in one of the earlier stages, the company can take away the things that you liked and there's nothing you can do about it...

Hi Ross! Not sure how relevant it is to games dying for good, but there might be something to be said about online only games (MMORPGs mostly) that are in continuous state of development, and each time they receive a patch, some bigger update or an expansion, they change. Sometimes the changes are small, sometimes they are big, but ultimately, unless you can find some third party server running an older version of the game, you are forced to go with it. Even if you liked the game as it was in one of the earlier stages, the company can take away the things that you liked and there's nothing you can do about it...

To be honest, this is sort of common practice and you know what you're getting into if you've ever played an mmo. The reason I myself feel that the practice of shutting them off vastly differs from changing them like you're explaining is that first of all, you can still play them, and second, it's the developers will to alter his/hers game to the new version. This practice encourages creativity while shutting games down discourage creativity and makes it risky for the potential player to purchase the game, the game and all work put into it is completely gone instead of altered.

I agree that alterations aren't necessarily good and many games I wish just stayed as they were instead of changing so much, one example being team fortress 2. I don't even mean the free to play stuff, who cares about that. I mean the ridiculous amounts of weapons that have completely throw the game off balance. But they way I see it they made an attempt to improve it and while I don't like it, the changes they made did increase the games lifespan. So while I'm annoyed with some stuff in the game I encounter sometimes I'm really happy that I can still go onto a server off peak hours and actually play it, unlike Day of defeat source and lately even DoD.