This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.
I understand.
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:31 am


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:52 pm
Reputation: -/+
This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »



Here's a video to wreck my previous schedule! I'd give more details, but really I laid out everything in the video. I originally was hoping to make this a quick 10 minute video where I just talk to the camera, but my ambition got the better of me again and it's something longer and far more watchable now. Sorry about that. I'm essentially going to have no time after Saturday, likely for weeks, so I'm scrambling to get the next Game Dungeon out by then. Thankfully, this one should be a shorter episode, but I thought the same about these last 2 videos also. If you want to know if I'll make it or not, you should ask that question in the same voice as the narrator from the old 60s Batman series. This video does put me behind as I won't be prepared for Halloween, but I'm hoping to have a week or so at the end of October to get something together. A lot happening for me this month!

Also because I just posted this, I notice the color will be off, but it should fix itself as Youtube finishes processing it.

COMMENTS


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:50 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:19 am
Location: My personal bunker made of alloy
Reputation: -/+
Okay then, this... uh, this is pretty bad. And there is no way anyone can stop that, at least temporarily, or even slow it down?

On a lighter note: people still suggest Patreon, despite you mentioning that specifically in the video. I find it kinda funny for some reason

__________________

A.K.A. UberCatSR
Favorite game: Quake 1.
--------
Avatar made by DarkAngelAmethyst


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:11 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:00 pm
Location: Georgia
Reputation: -/+
How do you find all these maps playing in the background? Hammer being as dated as it is, I'm still a sucker for neat brushwork, and with fewer Source mappers than ever before, a e s t h e t i c a l l y pleasing maps are few and far between.

__________________

100 percent average every time, all the time.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:33 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:28 pm
Location: Moscow
Reputation: -/+
I disagree with the expression "fan welfare".
You make good art, we pay for it.
You earned it, no apologies required.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:59 pm
Reputation: -/+
I definitely agree that Patreon would be a great way to go, personally. But that's me speaking as a fan alone.

And with Internet speeds increasing over time as well as storage space, I think an era of self-hosted "YouTube"-like streaming services will be coming. YouTube may be approaching the end of its life unless they can figure out a way to adapt. And, so far, they aren't.

Finally, I don't believe I'll be subtitling this video. If another person wants to take a crack at it, I'll check it for errors and timing, but I won't be doing the normal stuff for the video. It's just too depressing. I am going to chalk this one up as being in the same bin, subtitle-wise, as the monthly video chats and playsessions with fans (which are NOT depressing, but are just too long).

I will continue to do subtitles for the other videos--Game Dungeon, Freeman's Mind 2, Civil Protection (once that comes out of stasis), and so on, but this one won't be subtitled by me. Sorry.

__________________

The Official Accursed Farms Subtitles Compendium: https://goo.gl/aTBvzj
--
Project Manager for Ross's Movie


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:21 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:52 pm
Reputation: -/+
danielsangeo wrote:
I definitely agree that Patreon would be a great way to go, personally. But that's me speaking as a fan alone.

And with Internet speeds increasing over time as well as storage space, I think an era of self-hosted "YouTube"-like streaming services will be coming. YouTube may be approaching the end of its life unless they can figure out a way to adapt. And, so far, they aren't.

Finally, I don't believe I'll be subtitling this video. If another person wants to take a crack at it, I'll check it for errors and timing, but I won't be doing the normal stuff for the video. It's just too depressing. I am going to chalk this one up as being in the same bin, subtitle-wise, as the monthly video chats and playsessions with fans (which are NOT depressing, but are just too long).

I will continue to do subtitles for the other videos--Game Dungeon, Freeman's Mind 2, Civil Protection (once that comes out of stasis), and so on, but this one won't be subtitled by me. Sorry.
No problem, sorry for it getting too depressing, that's literally the last thing I want to aim for with my videos, I was hoping to inspire fear or concern rather than sadness. In any event, holding off on subtitles may almost half to be a mandatory thing now, because that likely increases the odds of a video getting demonetized. Doesn't mean I won't have them, but a delay could now help out a lot. No problem at all skipping those. Anyway, I hope to have the next RGD out as fast as possible to help scrub this one away some.

EDIT:

Go watch the videos I mentioned if you need some cheering up. Brave Dave may be more of an acquired taste, if you're not hooked after the first freight hop, then you'll know if it's for you or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUg0jFO7NTo

I wanted to clarify that this isn't depressing to me quite as much because part of what I wanted to emphasize is I don't seem to be an outlier here, there's pressure from all over. I don't consider this a depressing scenario so much precisely BECAUSE it's unsustainable. The higher the pressure, the more a change is likely to emerge from one direction or another. Humanity is good at reacting to immediate threats, but collectively poor with long term ones. The faster a change is occurring, the more likely it is for there to be a counter reaction.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:18 pm
Location: Argentina
Reputation: -/+
I think there is a good argument for Patreon that can be achievable through the website: people seems to like the difference of seen their names with the contributions on a page.
Sorry for the bad English.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:30 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:13 pm
Reputation: -/+
The level of non-information regarding "ad-unfriendly"-flagged videos is a little bit amazing, even by Google's standards. But then, that's part of what happens when you honestly think that you can use mindless bots to effectively enforce content guidelines intended for people: a lot of random shit gets flagged and a lot of random people wind up very confused.

Really, I have to wonder how aware Google even is of the shittiness of their systems at this point. Like with that video denying that there was a problem of people being automatically unsubscribed from various channels: are they just being secretive assholes and deliberately trying to confuse people or are they really that far out of touch with the people actually using their services? Either way, I really hope that this serves to undercut people's faith in Google and doesn't just end up being yet another example of Silicon Valley horseshit being normalized because people can't even be bothered to acknowledge how shitty it is*, much less fight it.

*That is, continue to acknowledge it for more than a couple months or so, since people have been getting increasingly bad about getting bored after a while with talking about shitty things done by corporations and just letting the corporations get away with it, instead turning their ire on anyone who dares to bring up the issue afterwards because they're being "negative" or whatever.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:38 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:59 pm
Reputation: -/+
Ross Scott wrote:
In any event, holding off on subtitles may almost half to be a mandatory thing now, because that likely increases the odds of a video getting demonetized. Doesn't mean I won't have them, but a delay could now help out a lot. No problem at all skipping those.


Just to clarify: Would you like for me to hold off on subtitling until this demonetization is "solved" (whenever that will be) or continue to do them, at least for things like FM2 and RGD?

__________________

The Official Accursed Farms Subtitles Compendium: https://goo.gl/aTBvzj
--
Project Manager for Ross's Movie


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:44 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:47 am
Reputation: -/+
Of course there is a way: VOTE WITH YOUR DAMN PURSE and use some other video hosting site!!

Well actually, seems like tube is voting with *their* purse. Heard that actually them Poogle boyz are bleeding on Tube, as they are pretty much paying more for views than they are getting from ads, no matter how annoying they are. So I guess all this crap is just to make you loose your income for a while. It may seem small, but if they cut couple hundred videos every day for day or two, it can make millions on savings a day

BTW, that's music from Fallout 2 in the background, isn't it?! Looks like somebody can recognise the good stuff 8-)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:53 am 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:13 pm
Reputation: -/+
As someone who despises PayPal and wishes to use it as little as possible, I would love for you to open up a Patreon so I can help support you


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:59 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:47 am
Reputation: -/+
You can use cryptos, no?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:24 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:46 pm
Reputation: -/+
Would enabling Community Contribution have effect in demonetizing? they seem to have a pretty robust subtitle maker so far.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:55 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:05 pm
Location: 83°39′45″N 30°36′50″W
Reputation: -/+
ywyak wrote:
Would enabling Community Contribution have effect in demonetizing? they seem to have a pretty robust subtitle maker so far.


From my experience, crowdsourcing subtitles with that mostly yields lower-quality subtitles (for larger channels, at least) and there isn't a way to put up guidelines for subtitles on there, IIRC.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:59 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:28 pm
Location: Moscow
Reputation: -/+
Behemot wrote:
Of course there is a way: VOTE WITH YOUR DAMN PURSE and use some other video hosting site!!
Sadly, it does not work like this.
This would produce what is known in physics as evaporative cooling - when the hottest particles leave the remainder's temperature drops.
Same thing here - when the saner members of a community leave the community becomes dumber, then the next smartest ones leave and it gets dumber again.
Thing is, there is a surface layer of smart that evaporates and then there is a bulk of mediocre that won't go anywhere.

So they can evaporate away, but the ocean wont notice...

The only way to stop BS like that is to make advertisement illegal, but good luck with that for the same reason.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:06 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:47 am
Reputation: -/+
Them Poogle continues heating it.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:07 pm 

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:27 pm
Reputation: -/+
Artlav wrote:
I disagree with the expression "fan welfare".
You make good art, we pay for it.
You earned it, no apologies required.


Completely agree.

For me as someone that wants to go on youtube because no job and government benefits for disability are evaporating because... vodka (I can't explain since NOTHING about my situation has changed to cause a reevaluation of what I qualify for, or rather what I no longer qualify for given it feels like 'oh you're still alive? welp we're cutting SNAP down from $120 to $30.')

The fact all this demonotization happens for reasons that are ambiguous enough to be interpreted and exempted however the designers like AND it's being run by an algorithm where you have no appeals process unless you're ALREADY big is discouraging as hell, especially since I don't have thousands to invest in professional gear, a good greenscreen, or have real access to anything that isn't a shitty let's play channel.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:06 pm 

Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:52 pm
Reputation: -/+
"I can't tell if they're just pod pepole or if they're drinking the kool-aid"
(paraphrased)
I'm pretty sure google puts something in the water.
I'm almost certain I notice it as a general trend with people that age(my age): They'll wilfully rewire their beliefs, opinions, philosophy, and perception of reality to align with their employers interests.
It seems like part of pretending their job is "epic" and "awesome" and something to be excited and happy about in general. I'm pretty sure it comes out of just really wanting to not be unemployed and starving.
It reminds of japan, where yo u're supposed to be really enthusiastic and dedicated to your company. Except in japan, they have a strong cultural understanding of "honne" and "tatemae", true self vs public facade. In america you're supposed to "be yourself", which here means..well, what I described them doing. "We dont just want your labor we want your SOUL!"


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:50 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:04 am
Location: 38°16'48.96"N, 104°34'9.42"W - Don't forget to -rep me.
Reputation: -/+
keawea wrote:
I'm pretty sure it comes out of just really wanting to not be unemployed and starving.

I can say with 100% certainty that that is 99% of the problem.

__________________

bi ti ʤi ˈbulzaɪ
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy it.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ROSS'S YOUTUBE DEMONETIZATION SPECTACULAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:20 am 

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:34 am
Reputation: -/+
The problem has been described as well as can be, what's next is for us fans to decide what best to do about it. My first impulse is to support Accursed Farms directly, perhaps by encouraging a method by which we can buy downloads of current and future videos. This is likely too simplistic, but it's the best I've got.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
twilightBB Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net