Website issues and improvements.

Update... Would be nice if we could get the IMG tags to work in the sigs so I wouldn't have to constantly manually append my new one.

post-38479-Oh-yes-I-hate-this-It-is-revol-kqfe.gif

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy it.

Reposting here so other people who don't browse FFA can see it

Older accounts automatically have a box checked that says "Disable BBCode"

934c2a062a.png

Just uncheck that and you should be good to go.

the name's riley

Hey guys, I don't know what happened, but the rule of "no images in signatures" is still in effect, even if its enforcement seems to be disrupted. I still find them very distracting, especially animated ones. This will hopefully be disabled again soon, but I just wanted to make an official statement on that in case anyone's wondering what the situation is.

Hey guys, I don't know what happened, but the rule of "no images in signatures" is still in effect, even if its enforcement seems to be disrupted. I still find them very distracting, especially animated ones. This will hopefully be disabled again soon, but I just wanted to make an official statement on that in case anyone's wondering what the situation is.

Ah okay, I was a bit confused why they were suddenly enabled again...

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Of course the SSL test would fail. This site (AFAIK) doesn't even have SSL. That shit costs money.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

Of course the SSL test would fail. This site (AFAIK) doesn't even have SSL. That shit costs money.

OpenSSL is a completely free implementation of SSL... SSL = Secure Socket Layer, and it's always free to utilize.

I strongly suggest forwarding it to an admin.

I thought that was what this thread was for... (I did make a PM to each of the forum Admins though)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

OpenSSL is a completely free implementation of SSL... SSL = Secure Socket Layer, and it's always free to utilize.

You still need the certificate though. OpenSSL can generate self-signed ones, but they're considered insecure and I wouldn't use them in-production.

But the question is - what for? It's not exactly as if AF was handling the users credit card or medical data or, say, jihadist materials...

Regards

There's that too. AF's got what -- machinima and a message board? Is it really worth the cost of an SSL certificate?

I've ran several sites before. None had SSL certificates. They also never had security issues.

I'm thinking more along the lines of someone spoofing the site for a redirect to a malicious site... That's one of the main things that SSL prevents.

idk, that seems a bit of a stretch to me. not something really worth the cost of a certificate, anyways

StartSSL is free SSL certs, (mainly for sites that do not have any e-commerce) RapidSSL and Xpress are $50 per year... (and good for low volume sales)

If free or $50 per YEAR is expensive, what isn't expensive?

truthfully i wouldn't trust startssl to a site i managed - i've heard enough against it.

$50 a year depends on the site budget. it's a lot for some people and even otherwise you're still paying $50 more than you did before.

$50 to protect against the site becoming a redirecting point to somewhere that will likely bombard you with viruses and scams for a year... Not a bad trade off IMO.

$50 a year can make the difference between being able to pay for a site or being forced to take it down.

Hence the free version. It doesn't have to be pretty, but every version will work to help secure the site.