Freeman's Mind vs. other videos

Hey Ross,

I'm putting this here in the forum instead of in an email because I'm curious to see if anyone else agrees. I'll get straight to the point. I absolutely love Game Dungeon and have seen all the episodes countless times. Some are definitely better than others, but all of them are good - there's a sort of genuineness about them that I can't describe. If I'm having a bad day, watching Game Dungeon puts me in this mental state where everything is okay again.

I also really like the Civil Protection videos.

Freeman's Mind on the other hand... well, you mention in your last chat with fans how it feels more like work, like a grind, than any of the other videos. I almost kind of knew that. It shows. So while I think Game Dungeon is brilliant, and Civil Protection is great, Freeman's Mind is just sort of... average.

So it kind of pains me that there will be even less Game Dungeon than before, for what will probably be many years to come, just to get another long seris of (what I consider to be) average videos. But it's even worse knowing that you yourself don't really want to be making these videos and would rather be working on The Movie or more Game Dungeons.

"The fans have spoken" is definitely a solid argument in favor of Freeman's Mind. But I do wonder how many FANS (not subscribers!) prefer this show over Game Dungeon. My theory is a lot of them just follow every gaming channel where the reviewers just scream all the time, like PewDiePie or Markiplier. I mean, there's a lot of screaming going on in Freeman's Mind. So, uh, not the most solid theory. But if that's not the case, I'd be curious to find out what the appeal of the show is for other people.

You were all fair and reasonable up until you got to the part where you compared gaming channels to Freeman's Mind lol. But you've noted that there's a thing such as personal preference (which too many seem to miss), which is nice. XD

But they are way different. I like Civil Protection and Freeman's Mind equally, for me it's just some good scripted fun, not meant to make you really think or shape your view on a certain game, it's just entertainment. They usually tell a fictional story, unlike Game Dungeon which is orientated towards both fictional and non, it includes Ross talking about real events that happen outside of the game so it can be quite informative and entertaining in that regards.

But Freeman's Mind is not the same as Let's Plays. Freeman's Mind is made for a more mature audience. It doesn't rely on improvisation and literal shit/dick jokes to make people laugh. It's not filled with drama, you can expect each episode to be the continuation of something you enjoy, and the screaming part... I don't think Ross screams THAT much. lol I watch gaming channels and Freeman's Mind but they are not the same at all. Freeman's Mind is a Machinima, which isn't all that common seeing as it requires much more work and time. People perhaps prefer Freeman's Mind over Game Dungeon because it's so different, and of course it's Half Life, who doesn't like Half Life? XD (Don't answer that)

Game Dungeon though is more like game reviewing with a few twists every now and then. You can find plenty of those. (No offense to Ross, I prefer his Game Dungeons over every other game reviewing channel there is). And they're not everyones' cup of tea.

That's just my two cents though. :)

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

I'd be curious to find out what the appeal of the show is for other people.

It has to do with someone actually voicing many of the things we were all thinking when we played through the game to begin with.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Hey Ross,

My theory is a lot of them just follow every gaming channel where the reviewers just scream all the time, like PewDiePie or Markiplier. I mean, there's a lot of screaming going on in Freeman's Mind. So, uh, not the most solid theory. But if that's not the case, I'd be curious to find out what the appeal of the show is for other people.

Absolutely not. Freeman's Mind is the only show of its type that I'm even remotely interested in because;

* The dialogue is actually engaging, interesting, funny and not just "rAnDoM!" nonsense like you get on other "gaming" channels

* HL was/is my favourite game and knowing the maps well and which bits are coming up in FM kept me interested, to see how Ross would react

* FM is a series I've watched for years and I'm super pumped to see it continue

* It's not laid out like a typical "Let's Play" because it isn't that; it's a Machinima, it's an action comedy and it's a parody.

Now I'm a huge fan of Game Dungeon, and I'm interested in The Movie while not excited yet (because we don't know enough). But I really want to see Freeman's Mind. If Ross didn't think he could do it, or *really* didn't want to, he wouldn't. Yes the "fans" have spoken but if we all asked Ross to jump off a cliff... ?

I've always wanted and am excited for FM2, but that doesn't mean I don't want more GD - I absolutely do! Then I want more Ross Rants. I want to see Moon Gaming evolve and I want The Movie to take shape. I want the QnAs to polish up. Hey I'd even go for more CP. Whatever happens I'm here for the long haul because I think Ross's content is worth staying for. If FM2 takes years, so be it! It'll be worth it. I'm sure he'll take a break every now and then for a different video, and over time those videos and ideas will stack up. The content will come. If you don't like FM as much, then stick around for the other videos - over time they'll come.