8-Bit Life: Horror Movies Podcast

I dont know much about horror really and sort of dont understand why people like to scare themselves (maybe someone can explain the concept to me). I do remember my friend got me to watch this really damn weird "experimental horror" called Begotten though which was just this guy disemboweling himself. It wasnt scary really, just nauseating.
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of gross out horror like that, I prefer scary situations by far. As for why, I think in my mind it's kind of the same sense you get of exploration of the unknown, except that in horror, you know that what you're "exploring" via a game or movie is more hardcore and there's something with some teeth out there, heightening the experience.

I suppose that makes some amount of sense. As for me, my brain just doesn't really comprehend horror too good - what experience I did have with it tends to leave me more confused as hell rather than scared. Not sure why that'd be.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

While I`m not a fan of horror movies, and wouldn`t even watch one voluntarily (suspense, thriller -> just fine), there`s one movie that SOMEWHAT fits into this category, it`s horror and it`s strange.

I can`t quite recommend it, because what I like about this film is the side category this movie falls into (or is it main?) which is "cliche exploiting", "satire", which other people may not like, and I don`t know how popular the movie is.

After that short foreword, I give you:

The Worst Horror Movie Ever Made (2005).

Be sure to find 2005 version.

HUGE(this adjective might be redundant, considering the size of the letters) DISCLAIMER:

Do not watch if you`re looking for suspense horror, and not for horror that has explicit content -> blood, axes and so on in first 5 minutes of the movie (even satirically (as in props and acting)).

So, it`s not for an easily upset tummy.

Just adding this here, and apologizing for not adding it sooner :). Proper way to do stuff right is to explain all things at once, not 2 days after resonance cascade.

I've never really been into horror movies, but I absolutely love horror games for sure. Stuff like Silent Hill (as you'd expect). If you're looking for a good Half-Life mod with some pretty good horror, check out Afraid of Monsters: Director's Cut. That may get some jumps out of you, who knows.

I've never really been into horror movies, but I absolutely love horror games for sure. Stuff like Silent Hill (as you'd expect). If you're looking for a good Half-Life mod with some pretty good horror, check out Afraid of Monsters: Director's Cut. That may get some jumps out of you, who knows.

Have you played Nightmare House 2? It's a horror mod for Half-Life 2: Episode 2 that I really enjoyed playing. Some pretty spooky moments in that game.

"I'm not really the sentimental type, but.... well, no, I'm not."

I suppose that makes some amount of sense. As for me, my brain just doesn't really comprehend horror too good - what experience I did have with it tends to leave me more confused as hell rather than scared. Not sure why that'd be.

Autism maybe?

On Topic: I'm not really into horror but i'm looking to see more of the genre. I really enjoy the sci fi themed ones like Alien (one of my favorite movies) The Thing, The Blob (50s and 80s), Cloverfield, The Mist, It Came From Outer Space and other that i can't really remember.

I notice nobody mentioned Event Horizon yet... It's the only "horror/thriller" movie in my top 25.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I notice nobody mentioned Event Horizon yet... It's the only "horror/thriller" movie in my top 25.

Ah yeah, it's one that i forgot to mention on my post. Nice and original sci-fi with supernatural shit.

PANDORUM is another one that i liked a lot and it's pretty underrated (or not, i've seem a lot of people talking about it lately)

Pitch Black is one of my favorites, even though is not even that good, i just love that movie.

I never classified Pitch Black as a horror/thriller, but come to think of it, it does have many of those same traits. Looks like there are 2 horror/thrillers on my top 25 then. lol

Autism maybe?

I have a tendency to be very literal-minded, so maybe that's got something to do with it.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

That, or you've seen enough of real life to know that what is shown is usually impossible, even if impossible physics is accepted.

"In the Mouth of Madness" was a pretty good movie as well, now that I think about it.

When I was a stupid brat I thought that it looked like a stupid Stephen King ripoff. Now that I'm a stupid adult I think of it more as a very decent Lovecraft and David Lynch mashup.

I've seen about eight Carpenter films, and this and The Thing were the only ones I really liked. The man frustrates the hell out of me. He makes exactly the kinds films I want to see. They tend to have pretty intriguing concepts and some good black humor mixed in, so I keep watching them, and then most of the time I don't like them as a whole. :(

"In the Mouth of Madness" was a pretty good movie as well, now that I think about it.

When I was a stupid brat I thought that it looked like a stupid Stephen King ripoff. Now that I'm a stupid adult I think of it more as a very decent Lovecraft and David Lynch mashup.

I've seen about eight Carpenter films, and this and The Thing were the only ones I really liked. The man frustrates the hell out of me. He makes exactly the kinds films I want to see. They tend to have pretty intriguing concepts and some good black humor mixed in, so I keep watching them, and then most of the time I don't like them as a whole. :(

Carpenters best film hands down is Escape from LA which was more or less like Pink Floyds The Last Cut (Both kind of deal with the hatred towards certain politicians, Escape deals with the watergate scandal to some extent and how carpenter felt like the government cant be trusted so he created a film more or less where a renegade has to rescue the president for whom he hates, The Final Cut was more or less about Roger Waters and his frustrations with Margaret Thatcher and the Falklands war and alot of what was going on in the early 80s)

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

The only honestly scary horror films have been original Ring and Grudge. The American remakes were awful, but i've not seen anything remotely as scary since those two films.

To everyone: I've seen all the horrors mentioned on this page

Carpenters best film hands down is Escape from LA which was more or less like Pink Floyds The Last Cut (Both kind of deal with the hatred towards certain politicians, Escape deals with the watergate scandal to some extent and how carpenter felt like the government cant be trusted so he created a film more or less where a renegade has to rescue the president for whom he hates, The Final Cut was more or less about Roger Waters and his frustrations with Margaret Thatcher and the Falklands war and alot of what was going on in the early 80s)
I don't know, for me The Thing just blows away everything else by him, although Big Trouble In Little China is very good in an entirely different way. I watched Escape from LA again after I left LA in 2009. My favorite line from it is "this fucking city can kill anybody!"

All my favorite horrors came out in the 80s: The Thing, The Fly, Re-Animator, Evil Dead, Hellraiser, Day of the Dead, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Shining, Brain Damage, etc. But you've seen those.

Less popular films Ross may not have seen: Onibaba, Black Sunday, Schramm, Spoorloos (not strictly a horror but an extremely chilling film nonetheless).