Fears of a second Civil War in the US?

Sign in to follow this  

I'm not one to delve into hysterics, as I personally think this is a hysterical idea, but then I also am not living in the US, I'm merely an observer north of the border, looking through the muddled lenses of both of our various news apparatuses and online social media forums, and I'm merely curious to see if anyone else has any input or insight to provide on this idea.

Do you see a Second Civil War happening within the US anytime soon?

I first heard this idea come up in my Canadian Media (I know, very reliable source on this, eh?) back during the election when they were asking various people what they "thought" would come if Trump were to become elected. A few dared pose the idea that a new civil war could be a possibility due to how divisive the whole thing had been.

With Anti-fa radicals making their bids at trying to gain larger swathes of supporters, media outlets in some cases discussing the ethics of committing violence against others merely for their political beliefs, in all likelihood hundreds if not thousands of vehemently opposed folks on both sides to the other that love to voice their discontent and not necessarily think about what they're saying or doing beforehand, and an administration that is far more uncompromising in some respects compared to the last, I can see why people would get the impression.

Personally, though I see it as a possibility, I don't see it as a likely one for several reasons.

1: Unless large parts of the US army outright choose to defy the will of the administration in power in support of others within the administration (or without, though I cannot imagine why), I don't see any rebellion as having much of any serious basis to stand on. Almost every civil war in any nation has required a reasonable backing by the standing military to make it even possible. I've seen no immediate indicators of that happening myself, even if there are debates among the Generals and other staff within the administration on policies and the best courses of action.

2: If there is no substantial regional cohesion and organization as there was with the South I don't see such a thing as having much of any coordination beyond limited resistance that would be quashed within a few months perhaps. The populations of the individual states aren't even THAT cohesive politically.

3: The Anti-fa and Black Bloc do not inspire much fear in me with their abilities, or lack thereof to even deal with riot cops, let alone lead a revolution even if their willingness to destroy public and private property serves to make them feel bigger than they actually are.

4: Most of the other more populous opposition likewise has no wish to fight any war themselves and are mostly passive. Persistent in their voices perhaps, but not having any desire to actually attempt such a radical step out of fear for personal safety.

The only ways I could see it becoming more likely is if the politics become so polarizing that literally no national can look upon one or the other as even being remotely American anymore because of the beliefs they hold, perhaps not even as human beings (which elements of that could be seen in the last election, but the question is how prevalent that actually is, IDK and I don't trust the media to give us a straight answer on that). That would be a major step. Dehumanizing those you see as your enemy legitimizes any form of violence or harmful action taken against them, and both sides can be argued to be doing this right now.

But ATM? I don't see it happening. But maybe I'm wrong, anyone have any thoughts of this they'd like to bounce off?

Could be entirely unrelated to the current political status, do you personally have any fears of a second civil war in the US any time soon?

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Long is the way; and hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light-Paradise Lost

By the power of truth, while I live, I have conquered the universe-Faust

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes, except that one

Vae Victus-Brennus

One major reason that this won't start a civil war: The 'protesters' would rather destroy some innocent's car than do anything against the government. They talk loud, and destroy private property, but they aren't even close to a "resistance".

Back with the last Obama election we were very close to a real civil war, as many states were threatening to leave the Union if certain federal laws were used to supercede existing state laws. (those threatened applications of federal law have since stopped being a threat)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

One major reason that this won't start a civil war: The 'protesters' would rather destroy some innocent's car than do anything against the government. They talk loud, and destroy private property, but they aren't even close to a "resistance".

Back with the last Obama election we were very close to a real civil war, as many states were threatening to leave the Union if certain federal laws were used to supercede existing state laws. (those threatened applications of federal law have since stopped being a threat)

I heard about that.

Irony now being that Californians are toying with the notion now that the situation is reversed, though i haven't heard anything serious come of that, nor is the whole state of one opinion on the whole thing.

Long is the way; and hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light-Paradise Lost

By the power of truth, while I live, I have conquered the universe-Faust

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes, except that one

Vae Victus-Brennus

Until it's a state government that is threatening to secede, there is no risk of civil war. (Cali wouldn't dare try without at least a 95% popular support, and 2 more states with the same opinion)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.