That one game...

Sign in to follow this  

Do you find yourself remembering a video game, but not the title? Do you remember vague details like "3D, FPS, crowbar, aliens, train ride", but no matter how much you focus on these things, you just can't figure out what the title is? Maybe one or two details are mistaken? Have you tried looking this game up, that you know came out in the late 90's or early 2000's, but you're not finding it? How bout you remember distinctive details like, "character never talked, first weapon was a crowbar, you worked at a science lab at the start, shit went bad and now you're fighting for your survival/trying to escape", yet you still can't remember the title? Maybe it's at the tip of your tongue? Well I got some news for you. In this thread, if you're trying to remember a game but can't find it, tell us here. We will try to help you! Be as descriptive as possible. Type up everything you can remember. Things like "it was a 3D game, the camera was behind the player, you could customize the character, I think puzzles were involved, it was on PC, I think it came out in the late 90's. Etc." The more descriptive, the better.

Also, if you're helping out, maybe post a screenshot or two, add a link, whatever, be as helpful as you can. There are those lost games we want to relive, games we remember playing a demo of, but never got our hands on. Or maybe you played it at a friends house. I know I have some lost games I want remembering.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Okay. I could give this a go. X3

I want a nostalgia trip. There's a game I used to play when I was really little, an educational game. It was like... bad graphics 3D models, open-world I believe... There was a lot of different versions of the game, but one I remember being a dinosaur themed one. XD It scared the absolute shit out of 5 year old me, and I refused to play past the level that had me running away from a t-rex. XP I was too scared.

The main characters of the game are like... two kids, one blonde chick, the other a black haired guy. If it helps, it MIGHT be an Australian game. It's an educational game, but I can't actually remember how it was educational. X3 I assume it teaches you how to spell and snot like that. But yeah, I cannot remember the title of it, but I would absolutely love to know what it is. Most of you lot are also older than me, so perhaps one of you know of a game that's similar to what I described. X3

To sum it up:

- Bad 3D graphics, old game

- Educational

- Different versions with different themes

- Main characters are two kids, one blonde haired, other black haired.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

There are two games I vaguely remembered playing when I was a kid. First there's this educational kiddy game I played for my computer class back in kinder. I remember it's used as a way to teach us the basic computer stuff (typing, using the mouse etc.) through minigames. For example, you type the missing word of a nursery rhyme or this I Spy-style game where you look for a certain item and click it with the mouse etc. It also came with a textbook, which I can't remember much what's inside, except it shows the screenshots of the minigames and the instructions. This is probably my earliest experience with a computer game.

Another game I used to play is a FPS Doom/Quake-like PC game I found in my brother's PC. The only thing I remember about this game is a corridor and a dog charging after me. That scared the 7-year old me away from that PC for a while.

So yeah, a kid's game and a FPS game with a touch of horror. Quiet a stark contrast

Welp, now what?

Educational games from school seem to be at the back of everyone's memory!

There was one in my primary school that I think was based all around arithmetic. The more you got right, the more..ammo? you got for your ship, and you'd try and shoot down space garbage? something like that. All point and click.

There are also some computers from primary school that I only vaguely remember. One was a small Apple that made a high-pitched whine and ran on a pretty old OS. They did have some Performas that had a different start-up chime* to the Power Mac my family had (they looked the same, that beige all-in-one that preceded the iMac). The computer that played the aforementioned game, may have been a PC, IDK, and there was one in the P1/2 class (5-6 years old) that played block colour games, may have used a cartridge.

I guess I could try and make rough sketches...?

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

So, I only briefly saw the gameplay for this game at a friends house years ago so I'm not sure how much of what I remember is accurate. If he gave me the name I don't remember it.

The game style seemed that of a RTS. The art style was very cartoony, almost like that of the Worms games but basic 3D and top down. From what I recall the units were short and fat and looked like they were made of clay. When they died I can't remember if regular old red blood came out or if it was more akin to liquid clay the same color as the unit. I don't recall much of what base building was like if any since I only really saw him moving the units around to attack other units.

Retired Forum Moderator

So, I only briefly saw the gameplay for this game at a friends house years ago so I'm not sure how much of what I remember is accurate. If he gave me the name I don't remember it.

The game style seemed that of a RTS. The art style was very cartoony, almost like that of the Worms games but basic 3D and top down. From what I recall the units were short and fat and looked like they were made of clay. When they died I can't remember if regular old red blood came out or if it was more akin to liquid clay the same color as the unit. I don't recall much of what base building was like if any since I only really saw him moving the units around to attack other units.

Sounds a lot like Army Men...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I can say for sure it wasn't. It was stylized but more along the lines of Worms than Army Men. And I'm pretty sure it was an RTS.

Retired Forum Moderator

There are at least two games that I miss, and want to remember, and to no one's shock, one of them is an edutainment/educational game. Now, I was wee little when I and my brother played this. I remember it mostly being math based, although I think there was some English stuff involved. You could do Elementary school path, or Middle school path. At least that's how I remember it. Seeing as whenever my brother played it, he was doing multiplications, divisions, among other things. Where I was doing additions, subtractions, etc. I remember it was in the same style as Pajama Sam, Spy Fox, Freddie Fish, Putt-Putt, and other Humongous Entertainment games (Thanks BrutalMoose). However, None of their games really stand out to me, I don't recall ever playing them. IIRC, the game starred two aliens (or were they Angry Beavers?). The 'Hub world' was their space ship, you could interact with all the lil nobs and buttons, this and that, not everything did anything important, most were just little animations. Once you hit the 'go' button (or whatever it was) you would fly off into space and end up in a RNG (mini)game. The only one I remember was you were in a wooden area, there was a wall made out of logs, and you either had to take it down, or build it by solving math problems. I'm 99% certain the game exists, 10% certain it is not a Humongous Entertainment game, 50% certain the main characters were aliens, and you were in their space ship.

The other game, is not an edutainment game (At least I don't think it is). No, it's a 3D platformer/puzzler game, I think. I never played the full game, only the demo of it. I remember playing it in either the late 90's, or early 2000's. It was a time where I would mostly play demos. I remember getting the demo from download.cnet.com site (real original title), around the same time Men In Black 2: Crossfire (for PC) was a game/demo. From what I remember, you could customize your character (I think), I remember having a backpack, and cameo pants. The camera was behind the player. You were in a desert wilderness camp like place. Sadly, that's all I really remember about it.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Possibly Gruntz?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruntz

There's one game that comes to mind right now, I played it on the dreamcast when I was visiting my cousin a long time ago. I didn't remember much about it but when I go back to describe it to other people I tend to compare it to Devil May Cry and Resident Evil.

Funnily enough, it was about a year ago when I accidentally found it again and kind of laughed when I figured out what it was. Being a Berserk fan now it's kind of funny to me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_the_Berserk:_Guts%27_Rage

I swear there was this one game I had as a kid on my computer's Linux (I only had it for a little while, little me hated it) that was some sort of city builder. You'd arrive with a guy, cut trees and use the wood the build buildings. I would always lose because soon after a Black Knight comes and attacks you and I never won, no matter what. You also started out in the same place, next to a body of water with many trees. I remember you could build a shipyard amongst other things.

On the same system there was a game, a top down RPG, about some sort of academy or school or some other big wood structure with lots of people. All I can remember is that there was lots of murder and you could attack anyone you wanted, but they found back, and better.

They're not panties, so it's not embarrassing.

Geneforge was certainly that game for a while before BTG helped me out.

I only have one vague memory of an old slow paced RTS that had what I'm assuming contemporary military vehicles as units. All I can really remember is one unit was a mobile artillery piece (maybe a Paladin) that once in range would completely annihilate anything in it's path. It might of also been semi-realistic, though I'm not sure.

[Double posting intensifies]

Due to Vinesauce's play through of Graffiti Kingdom it has awoken an old memory of me playing a similar game on the Gamecube with drawing system much like GK's. I can't remember anything else from it however.

I have one... There was this game - some sort of a mech strategy game. You could go on missions and collect materials or destroy enemy mechs. The gameplay itself was turn based (something similar to xcom/ufo series tactical gameplay) in the missions. I remember vaguely that you could during the fight in your turn edit the shields of your mechs in a way that the opponent would either be shooting heavy at your shields or should try to flank you.

The game itself was probably from 90s on DOS.

I have one... There was this game - some sort of a mech strategy game. You could go on missions and collect materials or destroy enemy mechs. The gameplay itself was turn based (something similar to xcom/ufo series tactical gameplay) in the missions. I remember vaguely that you could during the fight in your turn edit the shields of your mechs in a way that the opponent would either be shooting heavy at your shields or should try to flank you.

I think that one is MissionForce: CyberStorm. It is from the '90s, but it was on Windows.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

I think that one is MissionForce: CyberStorm. It is from the '90s, but it was on Windows.

yeah, found some vidoe's and it seems its this one indeed, thanks!

Had few of those over the years, although i have rediscovered most of them. Only game i cant remember but i'd like to revisit was FPS either from very early 00-s or late 90-s (as i was rather little). I dont know what part of the game it was, but i remember it having enemies (skeletons or zombies) amongst other enemies that you could only kill with chainsaw or rocket launcher. It was game in style of duke nukem and original shadow warrior, only with better graphics than either (im quite sure it had 3d models instead of sprites, though my brain might be making picture more nice).

Most logical guess would be Doom 3, though screens didnt seem quite right.

While writing this i also remembered more obscure RTS game that i knew under name of "arsenal", though i havent found game with such name anywhere, at least not this one. What made this game obscure was that it only had vehicles, no infantry. Economy units were basically bulldozer, which you used to build your base and ore truck, which gave you credits. But it also had sea units and air units as well.

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"