The METRO 2033 discussion thread

Sign in to follow this  

This topic thread is on the subject of the METRO 2033 Universe.

If you know nothing about this Universe, here's a quick intro:

VrVm3LXJZlM

"The METRO Series, is a collection of Post-Apocalyptic Horror / Thriller / Fantasy Science Fiction novels, and later video games, created by the Russian author and journalist Dmitry Glukhovsky and 4A Games.

The METRO universe takes place in the aftermath of World War 3 between Russia and an unknown number of other countries, including USA. In the nuclear exchange, the surface of Moscow has become heavily irradiated. The lethal radiation levels have made the surface uninhabitable, and have produced a number of horribly mutated creatures who roam the surface. Seeking shelter from the nuclear wasteland, the surviving humans retreated into the Moscow Metro, where they have eked out a living for roughly 20+ years, and have split into several ideological factions, like Fascists and Communists. But the tunnels of the Metro are home to even more dangerous mutants, that threaten to exterminate the remnants of civilization..."

The main novel releases are "METRO 2033", "METRO 2034", and "METRO 2035" by Dmitry Glukhovsky, as well as an assortment of over 90+ novels set in the METRO universe created by various authors.

The videogame releases have been "Metro 2033", "Metro: Last Light", and "METRO: REDUX", which is a Redux release of the previous two games to run better on modern systems (It's the best version to get in my opinion.), by 4A games.

The games are very heavily influenced by the book "Roadside Picnic" and the "S.T.A.L.K.E.R." videogames (4A games was founded by ex-s.t.a.l.k.e.r. developers) and while linear in story, offer great environments to explore, and a great blend of first person combat and stealth.

I decided it is best to start this topic given the recent announcement of METRO: EXODUS at E3 this year.

Check out the trailer: It's amazing, and is most likely reflective of the final game, given 4A's previous track record:

DuvN4YcJ0ZA

Discuss your thoughts on this series below.

Non Nobis Domine, Non Nobis, Sed Nomine, tuo da Glorium

I've only played like 30 minutes of 2033, couldn't really get into it. Felt too linear, and too predictable. I might be willing to give it another try though.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I've only played like 30 minutes of 2033, couldn't really get into it. Felt too linear, and too predictable. I might be willing to give it another try though.

Yeah you should. It's a game that requires a long sitdown and something to get invested in, rather than selling yourself short with a 30 minute pick-up-and-play that most games do.

And if you've played the original, then yeah I can understand why you think it wasn't good.

The Redux version is much better.

I read 2033 fairly recently and before that had finished the original 2033 game and made it 90% of the way through Last Light. Got the redux versions pretty recently.

Gotta say, I cannot wait for Exodus. I didn't even know they were making a 3rd Metro game and it was the biggest surprise at this year's E3 for me.

I also think its the natural progression for the series, we've been up and down the length of the Metro, and they cannot really go much further with it without treading over old ground. So, might as well open up post-Nuclear war Russia following a train journey. I think it looks great.

Story-wise, I wonder what they'll use as canon. Either way, the ending of Last Light is kinda the same regardless.

Long is the way; and hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light-Paradise Lost

By the power of truth, while I live, I have conquered the universe-Faust

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes, except that one

Vae Victus-Brennus

Story-wise, I wonder what they'll use as canon. Either way, the ending of Last Light is kinda the same regardless.

I believe the original writer Dmitry Glukhovsky is involved in the development of the story.