It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Minecraft Sold to Microsoft :/
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:29 pm 

I'm not sure if it's serious, but I love Minecraft and now I feel it's appraoching a catastrophy. Good that this game is open source, as I think it will be gradually changed into one, huge microsoft app.

And we'll have to call it "MiMi" :mrgreen: Got the joke? :mrgreen:

I read open letter of Notch to Minecraft fans, here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2683175/heres-markus-notch-perssons-farewell-letter-to-minecraft-fans.html#tk.fb_pc

and all I though that he just doesn't have guts :/ and he's being moody, angry on people and sells his biggest achievement to piss everyone off :P

Ross pointed out rightly that he could have sold it to a company that doesn't have a history of "killing PC games". It could've been VALVe, for example or some other at least moderately user friendly company.

And Notch said a few negative things about Microsoft before, so he comes out a bit hypocritical, that's how I see it.

It's hard to judge things from the outside though, so who knows what happened? This is mostly my personal interpretation. I feel unhappy how this went.

If any of you like Minecraft, leave your opinion on this topic.

Thanks! :)

Officially brainwashed by the Marvel Cinematic Universe _as for now_ -_-

Last edited by HLPrincess on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Minecraft Sold to Microsoft :/
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:36 am 

Location: 38°16'48.96"N, 104°34'9.42"W - Don't forget to -rep me.
My opinion: If I had an offer of $2.5 BILLION to stop working on something that had become a chore, I'd take it too.

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:06 am 

BTGBullseye wrote:
My opinion: If I had an offer of $2.5 BILLION to stop working on something that had become a chore, I'd take it too.

:(

Officially brainwashed by the Marvel Cinematic Universe _as for now_ -_-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:17 am 

BTGBullseye wrote:
Well I don't want to be too hard on Notch since he's a fan of the videos actually, but I think everybody making the "of course I would sell" argument doesn't already have 600 million dollars in the first place. There's not a whole hell of a lot you can't do with 600 million that you can with over a billion when you have that kind of money to begin with. I was thinking about it actually, if I had that kind of money, I would feel some sort of responsibility to try and better humanity in some way, it's just an incredible sum. I actually sent Notch an email telling him I respect his decision if he turns around and uses the money to start a cult.

I think the controversy comes from selling it to Microsoft. Like I'm making up numbers here, but I bet if he sold it to Valve or Riot Games for 1.5 billion, I doubt there would be too much controversy and he still would have made out like a bandit on top of having already made out like a bandit to begin with.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:08 pm 

Yes, but those people would not have offered the silly money that MSFT was paying.

Microsoft is desperate for something that could take it out of stagnation and desperate people often pay desperate prices.

That poses a dilemma: is Notch twice as immoral - selling to evil Microsoft AND, at the same time, gouging the buyer? Or does taking advantage of Microsoft somehow neutralises the evilness of dealing with the devil in the first place? :? I'm confused :-)

Regards

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:12 am 

Location: 38°16'48.96"N, 104°34'9.42"W - Don't forget to -rep me.
There's also the fact that since there is a new person in charge of MS, the company direction may be going back towards something good, and this may be a good thing in the end.

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]