Silent Hills

Sign in to follow this  

LrL8ybvDSkA

Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro making a Silent Hill game sounds like a match made in heaven for a horror game focused on storytelling and psychological terror. I'm glad that they seemed to have dropped the whole "OOGITY BOOGITY BOO LOUD NOISES FLESH MONSTER" schtick. Definitely going to give this a look.

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

Its going to be cancelled and its official. Kojima and Del Torro doesnt work with Konami anymore. It's really sad guys...

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

There's also a game in development called Allison Road which is already regarded as the spiritual successor to PT.

__i_LoRKhJ0

And outside of that Del Toro and Kojima announced they're going to be working on their own project together so there's that to look forward to.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/07/29/del-toro-reveals-his-collaboration-with-kojima-is-far-from-over-3418742

Retired Forum Moderator

Regarding that video... Whoever portrayed that as being realistic reactions was stupid. Any gamer knows the first thing you do when you see weird is get a weapon, and a flashlight. Once armed, you start looking for better weapons. Anything weird you come across, kill it. This is the gamer way, we are not normal people.

Also, the whispered stuff sounds exactly like in Freeman's Mind. (and I replied to it when it happened in this video, lol)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I honestly don't feel these types of games would benefit from a weapon, even though the video did kinda hint at possible weapons with the knife. Sure it would be the 'realistic' way to go about it but that's never been my concern when it comes to games. In horror games, weapons always strike me as the "comfort zone" item; something for the player to hide behind when faced with a problem. I much prefer the feeling of helplessness when it comes to these since it otherwise loses a lot of it's effect.

To each their own I guess.

Edit: also I'm not sure how effective a weapon is gonna be against something that makes the walls bleed. :P

Retired Forum Moderator

Yeah, I never like horror games that refuse to let you do anything even remotely realistic, like grabbing a weapon. Making the weapons effectively useless is fine, (this makes it similar to actual nightmares) making it impossible to get them in the first place isn't.

It would be interesting to see a horror game that actually delves into the absurd of actual nightmares come to life, instead of these weaponless runfests.

Well if you think about it it's the case of anything: who do you want to target and who do you want to inevitably piss off. You could put in weapons that are virtually worthless and appease the realism crowd but then you would inevitable piss off the crowd of people who tried to use the weapon, failed, and got killed because of it. Horror games are the trickiest of mediums because everyone has their own interpretation of what would make a great horror game.

This should probably have it's own topic since the topic runs far beyond these 2 games.

Retired Forum Moderator

Yeah... Just suffice to say, this game looks interesting to me if it has weapons, uninteresting if it doesn't. (and it looks like it has weapons)

It would be interesting to see a horror game that actually delves into the absurd of actual nightmares come to life, instead of these weaponless runfests.

Five Nights at Freddy's 4? :P

Five Nights at Freddy's 4? :P

FNAF isn't horror. Screamers =/= horror. It's a sad attempt at it that picked up popularity because it's writing was filled with holes and the creator tried to play off it's bad writing as "There are conspiracies and theories!" and because of famous youtubers needing youtube fodder