Fallout 4 total conversion mod.

Sign in to follow this  

I'm going to be making a large total conversion mod for Fallout 4 once it is released. I'm making a thread here about it for three reasons. First, the Nexus doesn't have a Fallout 4 forum quite yet. Second, I *was* going to do a large Half-Life 2 total conversion and had a thread for it on this site, but I scrapped that project in favour of this one. Third, I get substantially better feedback from this community than I do the nexus. So if there's any questions as to why I'd bring this up here, there you go.

The game takes place in the universe of my tabletop game, more specifically it takes place on Earth (for the record, I've never run a campaign on Earth before) in the year 205x. (The year is forty years after the mod is released, so it should be 2056 or 2057.) The player is given no information about the setting by the game itself until the scripted intro sequence, as there is no opening cut-scene, leaving them to figure the setting out as they go along. All I'm going to provide about the setting right now is the transcript of the scripted intro sequence, because that's what I want to get feedback to right now. Hopefully, you should be able to figure out a bit about the setting from that alone. (By the way, I'd appreciate knowing how much you can figure out from the intro, as part of any feedback you wish to provide.)

The intro starts an awful lot like vanilla Fallout 4 (because if it ain't broke, don't fix it) with them getting ready for the day, using their mirror as the character creator. The difference is, however, that here both characters survive the intro, so there's actually a point to customizing character #2. Once you leave the bathroom, you grab the food stamp card off your counter and walk down to the grocery store across the street. There's a tall fence around the city topped in razor wire, and shorter fences between the districts, and outside all the buildings are abandoned and decrepit. This should be a big red flag, and the black bear wandering around right outside the fence should be a red flag as well.

The card, for the record, only has $100 on it, but there's apparently no sales tax in this setting... Which suggests that sales tax can't be enforced in this setting, which also suggests a considerable government breakdown. But that'll probably fly over most people's heads. That said, $100 in 2057 money is... Not much, to say the least. Though you do *both* have cards, it's the middle of the month and the other one is empty. (And yes, these cards *do* actually refill in-game, at a random time in the first week of each month, and can only be spent on food items.) And this game has two methods to buy items. You can either open up a barter menu by talking to a vendor, which isn't an option in all places and definitely isn't here, or you can just go activate the items you want that are sitting around in the store and go to check-out, where a fixed value is removed from your account automatically for each item you picked up. (In places where you can barter, this is cheaper but has less selection. In places where you can't barter, such as here, it's more expensive than bartering but it's your only option so deal with it.) Once you've purchased $80 or more in groceries, you can leave.

After you leave, the other child starts a conversation with you, telling you they're going to go outside the fence tonight to scavenge. They also tell you to go looking for them if they aren't back by 4. The following dialogue will make it clear this is a regular thing if you object, but the conversation ends with them saying they'll be okay, and asking if you trust them. But before you can answer, a cop opens fire on the bear through the fence, cutting you off. Fade to black.

The next scene starts with an alarm going off at 4:00 AM, the other child clearly absent. Fade to black again, and fade back in to the player handcuffed in the back of a police cruiser just inside the gate, being interrogated by officer B. Calhoun, who has a clip board. Officer B. Fife is walking around by the gate, cursing under his breath, and officer B. Miller Jr. is standing next to the car, smoking. (Calhoun, Fife and Miller. D'ya get it?) I actually have the dialogue written for this scene.

Fife: "Hey Calhoun, I can't find the little shit's bolt cutters. Ask them about that."

Calhoun: "Not important Fife, shut up."

Miller: "I'll help you look in a minute, Fife. Leave Calhoun alone."

Calhoun, to the player: "Ignore Fife, he's an asshole."

Fife: "I heard that!"

Calhoun: "Good for you, asshole!" (Such camaraderie in this department, truly a sight to behold.)

Calhoun, to the player: "...Alright, kid. I hope you understand I have to file a report on this. So let me fill out what I already know..." He scribbles at his clip-board for a second. "December 25th, 2057, 4:15 AM... Thanks for that, by the way, perfect way to start my morning. Okay kid, let's start with your name." The name menu appears.

Calhoun, to the player: "Now I need a quick physical description. Doesn't need to be too in-depth, just height, weight, distinguishing marks, that stuff." Attribute menu appears, with all attributes at 1 and 30 spendable points. The other child's stats will match yours.

Calhoun, to the player: "And now, any unusual abilities, especially those that would cause problems in general containment, though I don't think you'll spend more than a couple weeks in jail. Be honest, this is for your safety." A menu appears for spell selection, which can also be accessed later. Yes, spells. The player has 4000 vitae for spell purchases at this time. This is enough to purchase four arcane or divine spells (though spells also use vitae to cast, so spending *all* of it would be a bad idea), or forty nature spells (and there aren't even that many in the game). Go nuts, you can get a decent set-up here. The other child will also receive any spells you purchase.

Calhoun, looking it over: "Nothing too extraordinary. Not these days, anyway. Now all that's left before we get to the meat of the matter is your criminal record. Now, at your age this is largely a formality, but if you have any outstanding warrants or felonies, you need to let me know now. And I will check this, so don't lie to me." The player receives 50,000 experience and levels up five times. The perk table opens to allow them to spend it all. The other child receives any perks you do, and any increases to your attributes will also be reflected on theirs.

Calhoun, smiling just a bit: "Sounds like you've just been a kid so far. Keep it that way. Now for why we're here. Why were you trying to get outside? I mean, you know once you're out we can't let you back in, right? And you know how dangerous it is out there? Did it sound like fun, like it was some kind of adventure? It's not. It's just a bad idea. So we're stopping you here, and maybe when you're older you'll understand why."

Miller, groaning: "Could you GET more cliche, Calhoun? Just ask where the kid's bolt cutters are so we can confiscate them."

Calhoun: "Shut up, Miller. You were the one saying to leave me alone, remember?"

The scene is interrupted by a fireball flying in and striking Miller, exploding and setting both him and Fife on fire. Fife runs off back into the city, while Miller tries to draw his weapon and takes two flaming bolts from a young man outside the gates, and he goes down screaming. Calhoun scrambles for the rifle in the front of the squad car, but is pulled from the seat by the man, who proceeds to stab him to death. He walks over and stomps on Miller's head before coming over to you.

Unnamed man: "Let me get those off you. These people have no shame." He reaches over to Calhoun, then unlocks your handcuffs. "They'll arrest people for anything nowadays, but there's no way I'm letting them put a child in a cage. Especially not for something that should be your right anyway. Now go on, get out of here. Go do whatever you were doing outside, and come back in one piece, okay? I'm going to lock the gate behind you, but there's a concealed hole on the north side somewhere when you want back in. It's under a bush, you can only see it from the outside. Just please, be careful."

The man walks you outside the gate, closing and locking it. He waves goodbye, and the player is free to move. The voice of the other child can be heard in a building right on the other side, calling you. The building is old and decrepit, with roaches everywhere. The child's voice can be heard upstairs, where they can be found sitting on the floor, injured. A dead dog can be seen laying at their feet with multiple gunshot wounds, and a living (and abnormally immaculate) dog can be seen laying next to them, wagging its tail. The child's arm and one leg are torn up, and there's an empty .22 revolver sitting on the floor next to them.

They're relieved to see you, and they explain what happened. Apparently while they were out, officer Fife changed the lock and they couldn't get back in. They decided to wait in here for you to come get them, and were attacked in their sleep by the dead mongrel. Thankfully, the other dog came along and pulled it off of them. They ask you to help them walk, but the player has no choice but to break the bad news to them. Then they break bad news of their own when they tell you that hole in the fence was fixed weeks ago and you're legitimately stuck out there. (I hope you cleaned out the fridge on your way out of the apartment. But if not, don't worry, the stuff you got will keep.)

When you're getting ready to leave, the dead dog rasps and shakes, standing up back up, and now you have to fight it when the other child's gun is empty and you either don't have any other weapon or at best you have something weak as hell you picked up downstairs. And the living dog inexplicably does no damage (there's an explanation for that, but later), so you do need to fight. Thankfully, the dog is much more fragile when it's already dead and rotting, and while it has a bit of damage resistance, doesn't bleed or anything like that and can keep moving without its head, it'll be easy enough to destroy it. If you have any and are willing to use it, offensive magic will make this fight a complete joke.

After this, what the player does is up to them, but the initial quest is very simple and open-ended, just being to get medical attention for the other child.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

Okay, so I have no idea what you're talking about. I have been without internet for a while, and have seen nothing about Fallout 4 other than the official trailer. So here's my questions. What makes you think there's no skills or traits? Even if there aren't, so what? I can just axe those parts of the mod, that doesn't mean much. I'd still rather do this in Fallout 4 than New Vegas simply because the modding kit will be much better (if how FREAKING HUGE of an improvement the Skyrim CK was is any indication) and I can create a more unique experience with it.

Meaning, the changes to Fallout 4 may make adding custom skills/traits at all would be very difficult assuming it's even possible. Since Fallout 4 doesn't seem to have either to speak of.

Okay, I can buy there not being traits, and if there aren't, I'll axe that part. But there not being skills just doesn't sound like Bethesda, with how much emphasis they put on skills in their RPGs. What's more likely is that you've either heard a rumor about them acting completely out of character, or you saw some gameplay footage and skills didn't come up. Ignore rumors, and unless Bethesda says there's no skills, don't assume there aren't. Maybe there's just no tag skills, so the menu didn't appear in character creation. And even if there are no skills, I can safely axe that too. So I don't see how this makes my job harder other than me having to reconfigure a few systems and cut some content.

Edit:

I have now watched the E3 gameplay. I am going to rewrite the intro today, as to make better use of the new features. In particular, the dual character creation. (Wonder if I can find a way to let you switch between them...)

I'd say go for it if it suits your needs. Bethesda games usually tend to have a very easy to use, and comprehensive modding system.

Also, put absolutely no stock into the lack of skills/traits rumor. There is absolutely nothing indicating that it's gone in any of the E3 footage, apart from them not going out of the way to show character creation or a full PipBoy walkthrough.

On to your existing intro... What you have right now would probly work better in New Vegas than it would in 4, so it's a good thing you're rewriting it. I'll be interested in reading the rewrite though.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I had a heart attack today. I might not get to it.

Edit: I am 100% serious. One might say I'm serious as a heart attack.

One might not, but it would change nothing.

Hope you feel better, and make it to the mod.

And even if there are no skills, I can safely axe that too. So I don't see how this makes my job harder other than me having to reconfigure a few systems and cut some content.

Why would you want to dumb down your own game? You'd be better off using New Vegas as the base for a total conversion, and it sounds like it'd fit your needs a lot better.

And exactly how are you going to do it? Are you going to do a system similar to how the Nehrim developers made a standalone using Oblivion, or what? Have you put ANY thought into how this is going to work besides a rough paper mockup of a setup?

SC, shove off. It's clear to me you are only against it because I'm using Fallout 4, and you hate Fallout 4. And it's also clear you really just hate it because Bethesda is making it. You have nothing of value to contribute, and I'm tired of indulging you. Take your hate-on for Bethesda somewhere else.

SC, shove off. It's clear to me you are only against it because I'm using Fallout 4

No, because the version of gamebyro that Bethesda is using would not suite your needs in the slightest. Since it sounds you're attempting to make a traditional RPG rather a CPG, which means New Vegas would be the better candidate as a base to work with. My personal dislike of Fallout 4's changes have nothing to do with your mod, I'm simply stating that it would only hinder you.

You have nothing of value to contribute, and I'm tired of indulging you. Take your hate-on for Bethesda somewhere else.

I'd say I have plenty. Because once again, do you have any idea what you're doing beyond this rough mockup? How are you going to implement it? Is it going to be a complete standalone like Nehrim, is it going to be a system like Project Brazil, what? Have you worked with the GECK before? All important topics that you should consider is all, guy.

No, because the version of gamebyro that Bethesda is using would not suite your needs in the slightest. Since it sounds you're attempting to make a traditional RPG rather a CPG, which means New Vegas would be the better candidate as a base to work with. My personal dislike of Fallout 4's changes have nothing to do with your mod, I'm simply stating that it would only hinder you.

Bullshit, and here's why.

1. Fallout 4 is not made in Gamebryo. Saying Fallout 4 is made in Gamebryo is like saying Half-Life 2 is made in the Quake 3 engine.

2. I literally cannot make this game in New Vegas at all because too many of the systems it outright requires to operate are *impossible* to do in New Vegas. I can't make a working bleed system in New Vegas, I can't make custom resistances in New Vegas, I can't make as good of a penetration system in New Vegas, I can't do penetration for melee weapons at all and I can't do gradual healing nearly as often or as well in New Vegas. All of these are absolute essentials to this mod, and all of them can likely be done just fine in Fallout 4, because I know exactly what functions I'd use to put them in Skyrim and the modding kit is built off of Skyrim's.

3. You know basically nothing about my mod, and not much more about Fallout 4.

I'd say I have plenty. Because once again, do you have any idea what you're doing beyond this rough mockup? How are you going to implement it? Is it going to be a complete standalone like Nehrim, is it going to be a system like Project Brazil, what? Have you worked with the GECK before? All important topics that you should consider is all, guy.

I'd still say you don't. And as for your questions: Yes, it's a standalone like Nehrim, I've spent more time in the GECK than you've likely spent playing the newer Fallout games and have two very large and extensive mods for Fallout 3 and New Vegas, the former is relatively successful on the Nexus and the latter you can ask BTG about because he played it back when it was still a beta.

I'm still entirely convinced you're too biased by your hate-on for Bethesda to actually provide any feedback other than "I HATE FALLOUT 4, DO IT IN NEW VEGAS!", but if you can provide anything meaningful, I wouldn't be disinclined to give it proper consideration.

The reworked intro looks very interesting... Sounds like a sort of gated community on a city-scale, and the suburbs are kinda like the wasteland slums. Reminds me of some Shadowrun environs.

More or less, BTG. More too it than that, but that's pretty good for you to have from that little bit on information. After I get off work today I'll have a lot more to post, though it'll be mostly gameplay stuff.

EDIT:

I also edited the intro slightly, to allow the kids to be cousins or just friends, if the player wants.

Okay, now to expand on gameplay. But first, did nobody notice the running gag with the cops' names? Let me know, because it's not supposed to be an extremely subtle joke.

As a quick note, I have SO little time before I need to sleep that I can outright say that this will be a scatterbrained rough draft of an overview rather than an actual overview and we'll get more done with me answering your questions tomorrow than in the initial overview tonight. So... Sorry, this is what I got.

Let's start with the basics. The mod has the same controls as Fallout 4, which I'm going to assume is like New Vegas. If it isn't, I'll change my plans to fit it. The areas outside the cities are a wide open sandbox, but the ruined cities are all metroidvania-type areas, mostly locked when you start but unlocked and expanded as you progress through them, and with multiple pathways opening up really quickly. They also tend to provide items in one section that are useful in other sections, such as providing you a stockpile of antivenom in one area, when another area in the same city has giant spiders. As a general rule, every pathway has something useful in another pathway in that city, and every pathway in a city has items useful for it in another pathway for you to find. And these city sections? They're, like, 90% of the point of playing the game. There's no central plot, instead each area has its own storyline, and the general idea of the game is to just keep making ends meet. And yes, you can get back into Everett eventually and go back to your old apartment, which doesn't have much but has the single best bed (which translates to the best healing while sleeping in it) in the game, you can't buy that for any other home, and it can have any upgrade you could purchase (though not all the ones inherently present) for any other residence.

The combat is rather less straightforward, as enemies get weaker as they get injured in a way that simply didn't happen in vanilla. When a character falls to or below half health, they slow down their movement and all actions to half speed, making them much weaker and more vulnerable as a result. Most NPCs have 20*CON health, so 20-200. You, due to being a tiny child, have 10*CON, so 10-100. Health recovers at a rate equal to your constitution per in-game day. Headshots deal double health damage, leg shots do half and arm shots do 1/4.

Enemies can also be killed with body damage if you aim properly and are prepared to hit them many more times. While crippling their arms only disables that arm (entirely, by the way, to the point where they cannot equip any weapons in it) and crippling their legs only slows them 50% (two legs slows them 75%), crippling their body or head causes instant death. Assuming them to be a medium sized NPC, they have 10 integrity on their arms, 20 on their legs, 30 on their head and 50 on their torso. (I do hope I can keep it constitution-independent. If not, then these values are for 5 CON.) Integrity recovers at a rate equal to constitution per in-game week.

Aim mode (VATS) works totally differently from the vanilla version. You can go into aim mode infinitely, there is no AP cost beyond that which you already consume attacking, so there's no limit. However, in aim mode you take double damage, and aim mode DOES NOT build the critical meter. Instead, the critical meter builds on its own at 5%/second. There's a series of perks to make it build faster, because of course there is, the last making it 25%/second and letting you crit every four seconds. However, taking increased damage in this mode means that it is ill-advised to use it all the time, instead you should reserve aim mode and the critical hits you can make in it to when it will not put you at much risk. As enemies don't have aim mode, their critical hits are random.

Instead of just dealing more damage, critical hits have a special effect. Puncture weapons inflict bleeding (note that bleed is affected by special resistance but NOT damage resistance), edged weapons inflict a weaker version of this effect, blunt weapons deal extra body damage, heat sets enemies on fire for extra damage over time, cold steals AP, electricity knocks enemies down, force causes slow bleeding for a long period of time. A single unmitigated critical hit from a 9mm would deal 160 bleed damage over ten seconds, enough to kill most enemies by itself.

As a quick note, most healing items restore very little and very slowly. You will not be popping thirty boxes of instant potatoes to full heal yourself. Also, food cannot be used in combat. As another quick note, in melee you should be blocking as much as possible as, like in vanilla, blocking stops all damage. Similarly, when faced with explosives you should crouch, which cuts damage in half.

Magic is a big deal in this game. All magic is sorted under either "weapon" or "aid" for the purposes of the game, depending on whether it's cast on others or on the caster. Each spell has a very small number of daily uses and most are relatively powerful. It takes an hour of rest to restore each individual spell. There are four kinds.

Nature magic costs 100 vitae to purchase each spell and takes 10 vitae per cast, is strengthened by charisma and has the "energy resistance", "energy barrier", "physical resistance", "physical barrier", "heal", "cure", "restore", "immunity", "vitriol", "vitriolic burst", "shout" and "sound burst" spells.

Next is divine magic, which costs 1000 vitae to purchase and costs 10 vitae and 100 morale when used, has its strength increased by resolve, and has the "providence", "doom", "sun ray", "sunburst", "divine grace", "comfort", "penance", "retribution", "wrath", "fear", "misery", "despair", "sin", "Hellfire", "Hel's Breath" and "summon" spells.

Next is arcane, which costs 1000 vitae to purchase and costs 10 vitae and 10 stamina when used, has its strength increased by perception and includes the "fire bolt", "fire ball", "heat ray", "heat wave", "freezing bolt", "snow ball", "cold ray", "cold snap", "lightning", "electrostatic field", "impact" and "blast".

Occult magic costs 10,000 vitae to purchase, costs 10 vitae and 10 health, cannot be strengthened by your attributes and includes the spells "magic missile", "disintegration", "wraith's gaze", "vampiric touch" and "reanimate" spells (and mastery is required for the occult enchantment, which is extremely valuable, as well as unlocking the single-use necromantic transformations). These are not complete spell lists, just what I can think of off the top of my head.

There should also be a lot of ritual spells, power-up spells and ritual power-up spells available, of course, but most of them I probably can't include in-game for technical reasons. (Doesn't mean I won't try, mind you.) Which is too bad, because ritual power-up spells were AWESOME. Things like the nature magic spell "Guardian Form", which allowed you to imitate the similar power the Guardians (minor deities, direct commanders of the celestials) have, doubling all of your attributes for a short period. Or alternately, the divine magic spell "Decoy", that summoned an illusory copy of you capable of dealing illusory damage, which you would control from a distance. (Note: Illusory damage is as real as you think it is.)

Despite the prolific nature of magic in the game, conventional weapons are not only not useless, but are actually extremely effective. A 9mm pistol can repeatedly fatally wound a target in a short time period from a considerable distance, and while plenty of enemies are supernaturally durable, this is handled as just extra armour, and if one weapon can't do it, a better better penetrating one might. However, ammo is scarce and expensive, and magic has its advantages, so there's a time and a place for everything.

Melee is also a big part of the mod. Melee weapons do somewhat more damage than ranged weapons, are capable of blocking, can stagger enemies and you can't use guns or spells all the time anyway. So truly, there isn't much reason not to at least keep a melee weapon handy.

Like in Fallout 4, you have a dog available. I can tell you right now that I will make it very much not effective in most combat. The starting dog is particularly useless in battle, dealing no damage and being terrible at holding enemies. On the plus side, they are suspiciously durable and if they die they will somehow manage to return to you in a few days. And this isn't the kind of game where those are just gameplay mechanics, I should note. Something is VERY wrong there. The dog remains with the injured child at all times until they receive their surgeries, and at that point will simply remain with whichever character you're not playing.

Despite the dog, the other child is your most important companion. They are more capable in combat (at least, provided they have weapons and you fix their wounds) and will offer an opinion (read: hints) on every quest in the game. You might also be able to switch to them at will if I can help it. They will also receive any major upgrades you do, and their attributes are synced to yours.

There's also a few transformations that can happen to you in game. You can become a vampire if you wish, which is a substantial power boost but makes you vulnerable to sunlight and makes it impossible to pass the health check to get into a city without cheating (and if you fail, they'll try to kill you because... well, you're a vampire). There's going to be others, but I'm not sure if I'll be allowing a celestial transformation or not.

You can pick up bonus perks during gameplay as well, similar to most Fallout games but also similar to Change. These are granted by completing sidequests, and the better you do the better the effect is.

Another important note is that weather conditions ARE a thing, and will be a huge thing. If it gets too cold, you will slowly begin taking cold damage (heavier apparel, especially non-metallic apparel, will help with this). Fog obscures vision and shortens detection range. If it begins to rain, you will be taking area of effect cold damage at a much higher rate, have fun with that. Hail will cause very minor bludgeon-typed damage in addition to rain's cold damage. Snow causes cold damage, and slows movement. Worst is freezing rain, which causes cold damage, bludgeon damage and slow movement. Freezing rain happens a lot in the winter here, and it IS winter in-game, so it will happen every so often. Weather conditions last for an entire day. The first day of the game will be cold, with fog.

And for one extremely important fact to remember is that firearms are attention grabbers and can easily make problems worse. There's the obvious issue of noise alerting enemies nearby, and even a suppressed pistol being by far louder than a melee weapon, but this also build a hidden "special encounter" meter. Enemy weapons ALSO build this meter, so enemies going loud can cause problems for both of you. This spawns encounters on set increments, and the higher it gets, the stronger the encounters becomes. This is especially bad at night, where enemies like the pale and wendigos are on the list. 1 spawns a pest, 10 spawns a minor enemy, 100 spawns a regular enemy, 1000 spawns a miniboss (NOT always a single enemy), 10,000 spawns a boss (also not always a single enemy) and at 100,000 it summons what either is or may as well be a vengeful deity. The counter resets daily. These encounters are not always hostile, making a lot of noise can actually bring help if you're in friendly territory.

An unsuppressed 9mm pistol is 90 per shot, where a 7.62 rifle is an uncontrollable 260 and a shotgun is 500 points of begging for trouble. Discharging that pistol will only draw a minor enemy, for instance firing it in the woods might draw a curious coyote that you will likely have no issue putting right down. Discharging the rifle or shotgun will draw a regular enemy, like firing it inside a city will bring a beat cop with a pistol. Summoning a miniboss would take only two shotgun blasts, four rifle shots or twelve pistol rounds, such as opening fire on somebody in the woods attracting a wendigo. And if you go so far overboard that you reach 100,000 (remember, that would take two hundred shotgun blasts in a single day, not likely) will usually bring a sentinel, and that is a fight you do NOT want.

Similarly, NPCs in this mod are jumpy as fuck. A character with their weapon drawn will frequently attack noises they can't identify the source of, especially if they have a gun. This goes double if they are in a fight, or were in a fight recently. If somebody who hasn't seen you just shot down a couple risen, DO NOT suddenly open a door next to them. That is how accidents happen, they will fire at the noise before they see it's a child on the other side of it.

The more threatening you are, the more perceptive somebody will have to be to *not* shoot at you the moment they detect you. You are more threatening when standing than crouching, more threatening with your weapon out than with it away, more threatening with a weapon equipped than with your bare hands equipped, more threatening with a larger weapon than a smaller one, more threatening the faster you are moving and more threatening the closer you are to them. If somebody has a gun in their hands and you come barrelling around a corner right next to them with a sledgehammer, they will not take the time to identify you before they pull the trigger, even if they have very high perception. They will only fire very briefly, unless they would have been hostile anyway, but that can easily be enough.

Just a quick post here to reassure everybody that this is still happening. And that a few things are different now, because of what's been revealed about Fallout 4 and due to some retcons about the settings. I only have time to change the intro right now and maybe make some minor, fast changes in the explanatory post, but I'll be adding to that post later in the week with details of what I have and have not changed and/or finally made a decision on.

Now for a quick list of enemies, a very brief description and the kinds of places they tend to be found. This is VERY much not complete, and more will be added later. I am also willing to take suggestions for creatures to add.

NPCs:

NPC enemies are rare, most NPCs being either neutral or friendly. If an NPC is attacking you, there's a good chance you did something to provoke them. NPCs are very dangerous in combat, due to their extensive use of weaponry. NPCs come in a variety of species, but humans are by far the most common. Humans have a lot of health and stamina, balanced attributes and get a power boost in combat when they or an ally is badly injured, though stamina is consumed faster in this mode. As you are a human, you also have these abilities. Found in most locations, but generally not as enemies.

Animals:

Dogs:

Dogs are common, and usually territorial but not hostile if you keep your distance. Many dogs aren't even territorial, and one of your companions is a dog. In combat, dogs are nearly worthless, even your own dog mostly acts as a distraction in a fight. Dogs have slow attacks with extremely short reach that don't do much damage, run fast but turn slowly, and with their middling health, exceptionally low stun resistance and almost complete lack of defence they are easily killed. Their advantages are their strong senses and high running speed, and nothing else. Found anywhere humans are, and everywhere they're not. Dogs use vanilla Fallout 4 dog models, with special dog models being used for special dog types.

Coyotes:

A smaller, more fragile, more cowardly version of dogs for all intents and purposes. Coyotes are never friendly, but are cowardly and more likely to run away than fight you. That said, they can fight when cornered, and like to sneak attack you when you're alone and/or asleep. Note that coyotes will never attack you while the dog is with you, even if you're asleep. For what little it's worth, they're even faster runners than dogs, and can usually outrun you with ease. Found mostly in the wilderness. Uses a shrunk and retextured dog model.

Bears:

Large, furry animals with high physical power and extreme resilience. They have DR 20 and have a lot of health, even for their size. Their attacks are relatively strong for natural weapon strikes, and they have a good stun resistance for an animal. Extremely dangerous, but thankfully they are reluctant to attack humans. Uses the yao guai model, retextured to be a more natural colour.

Pests:

Giant roaches:

The most annoying "enemies" in the game, these pests are cockroaches the size of mice. They wander randomly around for the most part, destroying food items. However, they are still counted as enemies, so as long as they're nearby they count you as being close to enemies (preventing rest, waiting and fast travel) and slowly degenerating your morale by keeping you in combat. The trauma inflicted by running out of morale just from being in combat is called "stress", and just impairs regeneration 50% for one day. They don't actually attack you, however, running away and only biting when cornered, though they can spread diseases with their bites. Usually killed in one hit, despite having a DR 5. They, of course, use the radroach model, just greatly shrunk.

Killer flies:

Flies similar in size to the giant roaches, these biting insects fly around randomly, biting the player when their back is turned and then flying off. The bites are painful and spread disease, but not especially dangerous and easily trounced by armour. They also destroy food items, and usually die in a single hit. Uses the bloatfly model, but they lack the ranged attack.

Blood suckers:

Mosquitos the size of murder flies, nasty little monsters that bite, draining health on top of the damage they deal *and* exposing you to diseases. However, they don't destroy food items like the above pests, so at least there's that. They, of course, use the blood bug model.

Giant ant:

Ants the size of the above pests, which are territorial and will bite the player if they get close. The bites are poisonous, though not deadly, and while giant ants are usually killed in a single hit they come in numbers and like to destroy food items. They are not harmless, their DR 5 affords them a tiny bit of protection and larger versions exist, including the coyote-sized ant queen, which is fairly dangerous and has a substantial DR 20. One of the game's deadliest pests, though it won't be in early versions because I need to wait until Bethesda puts giant ants in a DLC (which they probably will) or get a unique model made.

Giant spider:

A giant spider the size of a housecat, with some as large as the player character or even larger. These things are durable, with a DR 10 on the smaller ones and a DR 20 on the larger ones, the largest size having a hefty DR 40. They are also dangerous, with bites that deal substantial poison damage. However, smaller spiders generally do not attack the player, hiding in the shadows and only biting defensively when the player bumps into them. The larger spiders are more aggressive than the smaller ones. Requires a unique model, but maybe I'll luck out and Bethesda will have giant spiders.

Giant rat:

Coming in sizes ranging from that of a raccoon to that of a large dog, giant rats vary in threat level from "pest" to "regular enemy", and there is at least one giant rat miniboss the size of a bear. They are extremely tough, even the smallest having a DR 5, and have a septic bite. They also destroy food items, and are actually smart enough to steal food from the player's inventory, which they prefer to actually attacking the player. Uses the mole rat model, modified to give them fur.

Crow:

A regular, every day crow. A pest that destroys food items and steals food from the player's inventory. Usually killed in a single hit. Uses the standard crow model.

Raven:

A large, black bird, often mistaken for a very large crow. A nasty menace willing to attack the player and make off with their food, often killing small animals and quite able to ruin any farming effort of the player's by eating their smaller livestock. Shoot on sight, the little fuckers deserve it. Uses an englarged crow model.

Murder bird:

A giant raven the size of a condor. Predatory, will attack the player. Easily dispatched with a shotgun, and should be dispatched immediately when it is encountered. Also uses an enlarged crow model.

Reanimates and Undead:

Risen:

Anything that dies in-game without its torso being crippled becomes a risen. Risen are reanimated corpses, capable of sustaining any amount of damage and continuing to function as long as their torso remains intact. (Though ruining the rest of their body would making them pretty worthless.) They are immune to bleed, poison, disease, infection and radiation. They do not recover stamina (or anything else), and a loss of stamina is the only thing that damages their health, making them only function for a limited time. They aren't much of a threat most of the time despite being immune to so many things because they only have 20% of the living creature's body integrity and lack the ability to use weapons. Even so, they can consume resources, are always hostile and are much more threatening to your dog than they are to you. Found wherever there's an abundance of dead things. Uses regular enemy models.

Zombies:

Zombies are a superior reanimate created by necromancers, and you can create them yourself. As servants of necromancers, they are usually supported by a necromancer. Not inherently hostile, Zombies are much like risen, except twice as durable (40% of a living creature's integrity) and smart enough to block and crouch. Remember, like risen, they can only be defeated by crippling their torso or running them out of stamina. And unlike risen, the latter isn't a guarantee because necromancers can restore their stamina to full with a single spell (with two uses per day). Found in the lairs of necromancers, usually isolated from society. Uses regular enemy models, retextured to add a deathly pallor.

Ghouls:

An even stronger reanimate created by a vampire, and should the player become a vampire they can also create them. They are 60% of a living creature's durability and are smart enough to use melee weapons, polearms and non-explosive thrown weapons. They can restore their stamina by drinking the blood of fallen NPCs, a trait inherited from their vampiric creators. Found wherever vampires are found and people are not. Uses a regular enemy model, turned grey.

Draugr:

The strongest reanimates, which appear to be self-replicating, as they take corpses and transform them into more draugr. They have 80% normal integrity and are smart enough to use small arms, simple munitions like grenades, and some items. They aren't quite as smart as NPCs, but their resilience makes them often just as dangerous if not more. Common in crypts, cemeteries and morgues, where they are territorial rather than genuinely hostile. Uses modified models, slightly shrunken from the mummification process and turned a darker grey than other reanimates.

Vampires:

True undead, vampires are more vulnerable than reanimates, but by far more powerful. They have the mental capacity of living beings, half damage from kinetic damage (bypassed by silver), full speed, immunity to poison, infection, disease and radiation and while vulnerable to health damage and bleeding they regenerate faster than living beings, can drain enemies' health to recover their own and don't need reconstructive surgery to regenerate a crippled limb. However, sunlight burns them, they are weak to fire and both sunlight and fire rob them of their powers. They are also reviled by civilization, and the medical examiner at a city's gate will discover and turn away any vampire that attempts to enter the city. Many cities even execute vampires attempting to enter. The player can become a vampire if they should so choose, either through a quest reward or through a single-use occult spell. Usually not inherently hostile, but generally not the most social of people either. Uses default enemy models, just pale and with reflective eyes.

Nosferatu:

Stronger versions of vampires, nosferatu are not burned by the sun, though they still lose their powers. Rare and have much greater drains, have 1.2x movement speed as well as the ability to resurrect themselves if their torso is not crippled.

Death lord:

The ultimate vampires, death lords only take 1/4 damage from non-silver kinetic weapons, have 1.5x movement speed as well as the ability to resurrect themselves, and their special death form, which releases a cloud of mist around them that drains living beings without them even having to make contact and protects them from both fire and the sun.

Robots:

Security bot:

A slow, bipedal robot used for corporate security. Armed with marker guns, pepper spray and a taser. Has extremely strict rules of engagement, and is very slow to actually use any of its weapons. Even when it does, it starts at the low end with simple marker balls (paintballs with reflective paint, meant to tag people for apprehension by human security guards, causes a tiny amount of bludgeon damage and impairs stealth), only resorting to pepper spray (which impairs vision and causes minor poison damage) and the taser (knockdown and electric damage, paralysis on crit, single use). Lacks any melee weapon. With a DR 25 and an extra 25% special resistance to slash/pierce, it's not very durable for a robot. Uses a modified securitron model, *will* get tweaked later, made to look plastic.

Police bot:

A small, bipedal law enforcement robot designed to provide fire support to human officers. Armed with a rubber bullet rifle (small amounts of blunt damage), tear gas grenades (like pepper spray, but also damages action points and causes much more poison damage), a directed infrasound gun (minor blunt damage, good stun) and a taser (take a guess). Notably, it lacks any melee weapon, much like the security bot, and easily broken with a hammer. It is more heavily armoured at 50, a 25% special resistance to puncture with a 50% special resistance against slash/pierce. Uses a modified securitron model.

Kill bot:

A military robot capable of lethal force. They are not fully automated, as that would be a fucking TERRIBLE idea, and are controlled remotely by an operator somewhere in Colorado. Armed with an M249 machine gun and a 40mm grenade launcher. And it's one more robot with no melee attack, so it's one more robot you can smash with a hammer if you can somehow get close enough. And that might be your only option, since its armour gives it 100, a 25% special resistance to puncture and a 50% special resistance to slash/pierce. Uses a modified sentry bot model.

Robot tank:

The most powerful land-based robot, sent in when everything in a large area needs to be killed and the military neither needs the discretion of real troops nor is willing to risk them. It looks like a smaller version of an actual tank, and is armed with a 75mm cannon and an M240 machine gun. Still lacks a melee attack, but at this point your hammer just isn't going to do much damage and you might want to use something with some range anyway because it's a LOT faster than you. Preferably a rocket launcher, because its armour provides it an undefeatable 1000, a 50% special resistance to puncture and a 75% special resistance to slash/pierce. Or better yet, you can just sneak away and not fight something that can kill you in one shot without even hitting you. Cannot use any vanilla models, and will not be in early versions as a result.

Avenger:

If this thing is present, FIND COVER IMMEDIATELY OR YOU WILL DIE. This drone flies at high altitude, despite a short operation time and small compliment it can inflict massive amounts of damage and its presence in a fight means nobody is safe. When it arrives all friendly troops will drop everything to find cover because they're hardly safer than the dozens of civilians these strikes usually kill. You know, like you. They won't even fight back, because they'll be that focused on finding cover immediately. As it flies too high to be seen, it doesn't need a model.

Android:

Androids are civilian-model robots that appear largely identical to humans. They're a recent development, manufactured in Celestial-controlled areas and sold for uses from servants to security, but mostly for recreational purposes. Androids are imperfect, and easy to tell apart from humans when you get close. They use both a conventional computer and a magitek mind-imprint to run, and despite being capable of violence they cannot and will not kill humans. They can only use less-lethal weapons specifically designed for them, and will always stop short of killing. However, they are loyal companions, with programmable personalities, customizable faces, very durable frames and the ability to be rebuilt if destroyed. Uses regular NPC models, with an altered texture to make them more easily distinguishable from actual NPCs, as androids are *not* as advanced as Fallout 4's synths. They all inherently have a DR 25, but no special resistance. Oddly, these same characteristics are all shared with your starting dog...

Special Encounters:

Wendigo:

Wendigos are antlered humanoids. They are nocturnal like their inferior pale cousins, they kill and eat other humanoids, and should they kill another humanoid without eating them, their victim becomes another wendigo. They are antlered and covered in thin fur, move faster when you're not looking at them (might be hard to script that...) and deal surprisingly high damage with their claws. They also get a DR 10, take half damage from unnatural kinetic weapons, regenerate faster than living creatures and can resurrect themselves if their torso is intact. They also have good night vision. However, fire and sunlight both cancel their resistance to kinetic weapons and their regeneration, blind them and cut their damage in half. Wendigos are found in the wilderness at night, but aren't smart enough to open doors, so they seldom attack you in your sleep. Uses a heavily modified deathclaw model, altered to a more mammalian appearance. Antlers instead of horns, thick fur instead of scales, that kind of thing. It will, however, still move distinctly like a deathclaw, and still have the claws that make their unarmed attacks so deadly.

Pale wendigo:

The pale wendigo is a special nocturnal enemy that appears humanoid, but moves and fights almost like an animal. It regenerates faster than a normal being and is able to bring itself back to life unless its head or torso is crippled, but other than that and good night vision it lacks any special powers. It also lacks any special weaknesses other than an inability to use clothing or weapons, and is smart enough to open doors. Its frame is responsible for its inability to use weapons, but also makes it very quiet, naturally resistant to explosives and a great climber. They are stealthy predators, sneak attacking the player when they are alone or sleeping, as they aren't actually very strong. The dog is good at detecting the pale wendigos, and will bark when one is near. The pale also attacks you in your sleep, and will attack the dog instead if it is in your party. They can be found in the wilderness at night, or at the foot of your bed while you're sleeping. Have fun with that. Uses the same animations as the real wendigos, but they're smaller, weaker and lack most of the wendigo's animalistic features. However, they are smarter than the real thing and much more common, as unlike the real wendigos they can hibernate as long as they want, never die of old age and are smart enough to only eat creatures they could convert if they absolutely have to, and real wendigos simply aren't.

Celestials:

Celestial:

Celestials are the common foot soldiers in Wandel's military. They take half falling damage, half damage from unnatural kinetic weapons and non-force energy weapons, have +25 damage reduction against unnatural kinetic weapons and take half damage from non-occult magic. They can briefly engage their stronger celestial form when in danger, briefly doubling the effects of all their attributes and allowing them to levitate. In combat, celestials tend to go loud the moment the fight starts, immediately engaging their celestial form to gain the most effect, but it only lasts one minute. Uses a regular NPC model.

Divine:

Divines are the elite infantry in Wandel's military. They take half falling damage, half damage from unnatural kinetic weapons and non-force energy weapons, have +25 damage reduction against unnatural kinetic weapons and take half damage from non-occult magic. They can briefly engage their stronger divine form when in danger, briefly tripling the effects of all their attributes and allowing them to levitate. They, like celestials, like to go loud and immediately use their divine form, but it also only lasts one minute. Uses a regular NPC model.

Guardian:

Guardians are strongest members of Wandel's military below the sentinels, and as minor deities they are not to be trifled with. They take no falling damage, quarter damage from unnatural kinetic weapons and non-force energy weapons, have +50 damage reduction against unnatural kinetic weapons and take quarter damage from non-occult magic. They can briefly engage their stronger guardian form, which fully heals them, lets out an explosive shock wave, deals constant damage to anybody nearby, quadruples the effects of all their attributes, allows them to levitate and boosts their regeneration. They tend to reserve their guardian form until the last second, to get the most impact out of its ability to fully heal them. Guardian form still only lasts one minute. They generally arrive on-scene by falling right out of the sky. Uses a regular NPC model.

Sentinel:

Sentinels are the very top of Wandel's military, and are full-fledged deities. They take no falling damage, quarter damage from unnatural kinetic weapons and non-force energy weapons, have +50 damage reduction against unnatural kinetic weapons and take quarter damage from non-occult magic. They can briefly engage their stronger sentinel form, which fully heals them, lets out an explosive shock wave, deals constant damage to anybody nearby, quintuples the effects of all their attributes, allows them to levitate and boosts their regeneration. They also pull this at the last second, and as soon as they do there's little infantry can do to stop them except do their best to live through its one minute duration. They also appear on-scene by falling out of the sky. Uses a regular NPC model.

Abominations:

Regulated:

A hideous humanoid abomination, only found in and around Seattle. These lesser demons also attack the player when the player is followed by the Jersey Devil. Regulated are the weakest, least important demons. They are much like regular NPCs, except looking at them damages your morale, and when your morale runs out you take the "Lingering Nausea" trauma, which lowers your fortitude by 5 for six days. Their powers are regeneration, resurrecting themselves if their head or torso isn't crippled, radiation immunity, emitting radiation, taking half damage from non-silver kinetic weapons and non-force energy attacks and dissolving violently when they die to give chemical burns to those around them and irradiate the ground. Uses a modified super mutant model.

Imp:

Small flying abominations that support regulated. Imps usually are matched 1:1 with regulated, both when patrolling the streets of Seattle and when venturing outside on attacks. Imps come in fire, ice and lightning and have a number of daily abilities of these types and an extra 75% resistance to that energy type on top of the standard demon powers. Which are taking half-damage from non-silver kinetic weapons and non-force energy attacks, regeneration and resurrecting themselves if their head or torso isn't crippled. Fire imps can throw exploding fireballs and breathe fire, ice imps can shoot freezing bolts (faster, longer range, smoother arc, no explosion) and breath freezing vapour, lightning imps can shoot bolts of electricity or shock everything in front of them. Imps have claws, but aren't very strong. Grounding an imp by attacking its wings is usually a pre-requisite to melee, though. Will not be in early versions, since they require a unique model.

Smiler:

Smilers are large abominations that appear to be very tall, bald, fat men with wild, psychotic grins on their faces. They commit sabotage, arson, bombings and other destructive acts, and grin wildly at the horror they have instilled. As demons, they take half damage from non-silver kinetic weapons and non-force energy attacks, regenerate and can resurrect themselves if their torso isn't crippled. But smilers are especially indestructible, due to their large size, their ability to resurrect even when their head is crippled, their crippled body parts detaching when they resurrect to act separately from the body (its head even levitates), having extra armour rating and them having both double health and 1.5x body integrity. They are generally not confrontational, preferring to murder people without a fight, and will only fight when attacked. Primarily encountered in the ruins of Seattle where they reside, they venture out of it to commit acts of terror, and if you're being followed by the Jersey Devil, they may come along and set your house on fire. Uses a modified NPC model, enlarged and obese with a normal-sized head that looks entirely too small compared to its huge body.

Demon scorpion:

A demon arachnid controlled by smilers, these burrowing abominations hide underground and have a painful sting to compliment their thick exoskeletons. They also possess fire-related powers, dealing heat damage with their attacks, taking quarter damage from heat and glowing red hot. The smallest are the size of a coyote and have a DR 10, the largest are the size of a bear and have a DR 40. All of them have the standard demon powers. Uses a modified version of the glowing radscorpion model that is red instead of green.

Jersey Devil:

The Jersey Devil is a unique, high flying, nocturnal abomination that roams the skies seeking enemies of The Manager. If it seeks you out as The Manager's enemy, it more than happy to attack you in your sleep, dog or not, if you are dumb enough to sleep outdoors. The Jersey Devil regenerates, can resurrect itself if its head or torso is not crippled and takes half damage from non-silver kinetic weapons and non-force energy attacks. Hearing its cry damages your morale, and if your morale runs out you receive the "Devil's Cry" trauma, which strikes you deaf for six days. The Jersey Devil only attacks if you are sleeping outdoors, otherwise it stays in the skies and watches you silently. While it is watching you, many enemies that normally would never be encountered in the wild will find you. There is only one Jersey Devil in the game, and once permanently killed it is not replaced. Will not be in early versions, since it requires very heavy modifications to be made to the stingwing model to work.

Evil Eye:

The Evil Eye is a unique demon that flies high above Seattle, a hand with an eye in the palm. It stares down upon the ruins, shining a spotlight upon the city, illuminating you and calling demons to attack you. There is only one evil eye, and should it be permanently killed it will not be replaced. It regenerates, can resurrect itself if its body isn't crippled and takes quarter damage from all the things every other demon above has taken half damage from. You get the drill by now, I'm sure. It attacks with illusions, which can hit at any range it can see you from, from the top of The Manager's Tower. It is not active during the day, when people are allowed on the streets. Requires a unique model, will not be in early versions.

Eye of Providence:

The Eye of Providence is a demon, an eye in a triangle, that sits atop The Manager's Tower, underneath the Evil Eye. It doesn't appear to do anything, but images of it can be seen all across the world, including on money. Some of these images appear to glow slightly in the dark, and the higher your perception the brighter they glow. The All-Seeing Eye sees through all of these glowing images. If it sees you and you are the manager's enemy, it counts as if the Jersey Devil was following you, and will send the same enemies your way. Otherwise, it just observes you and will witness any crimes committed against The Manager. Has all the powers of a regular demon except it takes quarter damage instead of half, and only appears at the top of the Manager's Tower. Requires a unique model, will not be in early versions.

Black-Eye:

Two child-like abominations, a young brother and sister, occasionally visiting the player in their sleep or at their door. They appear similar to regular children, but have solid black eyes, the only physical indication of their demonic nature. They generally appear at night and wear hoods to conceal their faces. They are generally not violent, instead asking the player questions. However, being looked at by them causes morale damage, when morale runs out they inflict the "Vulnerable" trauma, which locks your trauma resistance at 0 for six days. Despite them not being hostile, they are fairly powerful in combat. They take quarter damage from non-silver kinetic weapons and non-force energy attacks, regenerate, can resurrect themselves if their head or torso isn't crippled, have bonus armour rating, move surprisingly fast and hit surprisingly hard. Thankfully, they usually respond to being attacked by knocking you down and running away. Or just running away, if they're far enough from you. Either way, there's no demon less likely to kill you than the black-eyes. Uses a lightly modified NPC model, with the eyes being the only real difference.

The Manager:

This unique demon looks completely human except for its bizarre eyes (one being identical to the Evil Eye's eye, the other like the Eye of Providence's eye), but its voice damages your morale and when your morale runs out you take the "Entranced" trauma, which locks your illusion resistance at 0 for six days. Non-violent, major character, rules over Seattle. Standard demon powers, except it takes quarter damage instead of half. Resides at the top of its tower, with the Eye of Providence and Evil Eye. Uses a modified NPC model.

Raiders:

Green raiders:

Tiny extraterrestrial raiders, a slave underclass in raider society, primarily doing maintenance work. Standing about as tall as the typical toddler and with a similarly oversized head, one might think they would be easily defeated, and one would be wrong. Green raiders wear environment suits that provide them exceptional CBRN protection, being 75% resistant to radiation and infection and both 100% poison and disease immune, and has an internal life support system to prevent them from dying unless their head or torso is crippled. The suit is not armoured and has no liner, so it provides no DR, but has a decent special resistance ranging from 5-25% against all kinetic damage types except bludgeon and 55-75% against all energy damage types, and 5-25% against chemical damage. Raiders themselves also naturally take half damage from heat, cold and electricity on top of all that, regenerate faster than other living things and green raiders have the unique advantage of good low-light vision and hearing. They carry anion micro-blasters and anion PDWs, which fire a compressed bolt of anionic plasma for both heat and electric damage, with increased effect against machinery and shields. They also carry 50cm shock spikes, which are a thrust weapon for killing robots, penetrating their exteriors (and their electric shielding) with a thrust before delivering a high voltage electric shock. Uses a miniaturized alien model.

Grey raiders:

Small extraterrestrial raiders, the primary class of raider society and the first to deploy when they need boots on the ground. Grey raiders wear a larger, lightly armoured raider protective suit that provides the same CBRN protection at first glance, but it provides a solid DR 10. Like greens, they have a solid natural resistance to heat, cold and electricity, but they lack the sensory bonus. They carry larger weapons, anion pistols and carbines, and frequently throwing anion grenades, with 100cm shock spikes. Grey raider suits can be salvaged, and adjusted to fit you. Uses a smaller alien model with grey skin.

Red raiders:

Man-sized raider super soldiers, not used in any non-military roles, and usually lead the raids that their society was named after. They wear armoured environment suits, not only providing excellent CBRN protection but also a solid DR 40. They carry anion magnums and rifles, use anion grenades and shoulder cannons, and in melee 150cm shock spikes. Uses an alien model with red skin.

Raider heavies:

Red raiders in raider power armour, the most elite raider soldiers in existence. Their power armour provides them exceptional protection, not only near-complete CBRN protection, but also DR 400, special resistance 25% against all kinetic attacks except bludgeon, special resistance 75% against all energy attacks and 25% against chemical weapons. It also has an on-board medical system that provides them a 50% resistance to bleeding and applies a variety of basic medical treatments (stimulants, analgesics, replacement plasma, that kind of thing) until it runs out of stock. It comes with an on-board energy shield that absorbs half of incoming damage and recharges over time until broken. Lastly, these heavies deploy directly from low orbit in single-use drop pods. These pods slow themselves with rockets first, then drag chutes, then break apart and deploy the parachute on the heavy's armour to guide them the rest of the way down. In-game, all you'll see is the pieces of their pod hit the ground, then them descending on a parachute that they detach a few metres above the ground. And when you see this, you should already be running the exact opposite way. Not only are raider heavies entirely too durable for you to take down, they come armed with anion power pistols and anion anti-material rifles, anion grenades and repeating anion shoulder cannons. Even when pressed into melee, they can bring to bear shock spikes two metres long.

Hollows:

Hollows are spirits whose minds have decayed. The line between a lucid spirit and a hollow is a matter for debate, but generally they are referred to as "hollows" once they lose their capacity for coherent speech. Hollows form as the result of the specific mechanics of memory transfer between lives.

Very little information can be transferred between lives, and the mind tries its hardest to compress as much as it can to get as much through as possible, but in the end it just isn't possible to transfer very much. Only the strongest and most recent memories carry over, and usually it's the strongly negative memories and the memory of death that end up being kept.

They begin to sink into deep depression, furthering this process by lingering more and more on negative memories even while they're alive, worsening them and strengthening their attachment to them. Time doesn't help either, as memories begin to blur together and the spirit loses its sense of time, forgetting how long ago and in what order their memories occurred in. This worsens with time, and soon they might believe something that happened centuries ago when they were alive just happened, or are even happening at the moment, soon reaching the point of massive, vivid flashbacks and hallucinations as they can no longer separate the past and present.

Hollows are incapable of taking care of themselves, and become increasingly incapable as time goes on. They are a danger to themselves and others, however unintentionally, and eventually seek out death in an effort to end their misery, only to come back after each suicide. Many give up at this point, and many keep going until they're too far gone to even commit suicide successfully.

They are too far gone mentally to be any threat, lashing out in fear, anger and pain rather than making a conscious effort to cause harm. They can't defend themselves effectively, and some don't even respond to threats. More coherent hollows can be spoken to, and can be helped deal with their traumas and become more lucid. If nothing else, a little kindness can at least ease their pain for a while. But for others, the only thing once can do is hope they come around, or help them further along so they won't suffer as long.

All the NPCs in Limbo are either hollowing or on their way there, save your second character if they end up there. Any enemy variety there is, and there won't be much (that's kinda the point) will just be minor variations on these same enemies.

Sounds interesting... Though I would like to suggest that the 6 days of the debuffs be something your character adapts to over time, say every 10 times the debuff occurs, you become 5% more resistant to it, to a maximum of say 50%. Maybe even throw in a few perks that reduce the duration of the effects.

That's what resolve does to them. -5% duration per point, and since max resolve is 10, that's a max of -50%, so three days. Also, just noticed I forgot the debuffs on several demons. They are all supposed to have one. Also also, the way the demon resistances worked in the tabletop may have actually made them more intimidating, without them actually being more capable.

Also... The armour system might have to be redone, 'cause I have NO IDEA how Fallout 4's armour works. I figured it'd be Skyrim style, but nope.

I think I have the armour system figured out. The key word there being "think". It looks like you get a part-specific point reduction and a percentage after it based on your total, armour and chems. Which is... Actually pretty badass. I am going to rewrite that part to accommodate the new system.

EDIT:

WRONG! Clearly the other value is not a percentage. I am just going to not fucking bother with it until I know exactly how it works.