Fiddling with The Adventures of Lomax

Sign in to follow this  

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time viewer of Ross's videos, and I especially like the Game Dungeon series.

One news got my attention back in the days, when Ross announced that a member of the forum reverse engineered the maps format of Test Drive 3.

I'm glad to see that the project have continued and that the 3D models were also documented back in May 2017.

Since it seems that some of the forum members are skilled people who like to tinker with old games, I'm banging my head on somethings that might interest some of you.

Some month ago, I wanted to play “The Adventures of Lomax” on PC, but it turns out the game shows an error, because the color depth it neither 8 nor 16bit.

iohmXX3.png

With a little debugging, I've managed to bypass the color verification and force the game to launch by replacing a jz with a jmp at 0x4076A4.

5nMgelgl.png

It works, but unfortunately, all images that are supposed to be transparent shows up as black pixels.

6MmRQq3.pngUxq7QJh.png

JWI1Y9U.png5SbTXjG.png

I've been looking for a way to make this game truly 32 bit compatible (I'm talking about colors). I have the feeling that it may not be that complex.

If you are interested about this, you can play around with the game demo, available to download here: https://archive.org/details/ADVLOMAX

Best regards!