Birthday thread: Mouse

I don't want to argue with Doctor Evil. I think it might end badly for me.

It would end very badly for you. :twisted:

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

great my post was eaten because i went afk

anyway ill just post pics

you can make it left, right handed or ambidextrous

3632ff95-7a3b-454f-ab1e-3b39d5ea02a4._CB313671916__SR220,220_.jpg

it comes with a lot of different buttons :

1434097294-9909-card.jpg

or just print out your own shit:

hero-970-80.JPG

so you could just try to make one that has the buttons on the right side for your thumb, and then design your own weird ass button placement for your ring and pinky for the left side!

well anyway happy new year love you

Hey Ross, I have made a crude 3D model of a concept I thought of.

I made it in Solidworks and unfortunately I am relatively inexperienced with this program, however, I think the rendering serves its purpose well enough as a visual aid.

Behold! The uh.. Paw!

zpAOjEo.gif

And my proposed button layout:

5woVrRs.png

aAUbJ5g.png

All fingers including the thumb have their own spade button.

The things not drawn here may include:

-More Buttons crammed in elsewhere (perhaps around the thumb spade or between finger spades)

-LEDS, such as DPI indicator lights

-Uh, other things

Also, as a side note, if you download one of the images and re-size it on your monitor until it is roughly 5.5 inches in length, you can approximate the real world size of the mouse.

Hey Ross, I have made a crude 3D model of a concept I thought of.
Well it's easy to see what the model is doing, although I don't know if I'm quite sold on the shape. While it does give me enough buttons, it seems like the right-most ones are relatively flat, whereas a more natural resting position for my hand has somewhat of a curve to it.

so you could just try to make one that has the buttons on the right side for your thumb, and then design your own weird ass button placement for your ring and pinky for the left side!
Wow, you really can have buttons on both the left and right side and they'll work? Some ambidextrous mice will have buttons on both sides, but the software will force you to pick one side or another. Zowie mice do this a lot.

Anyway, I have pics and some measurements for everybody, hopefully this will help. I tried to show my hand in a normal resting position, though it's possible a mouse that's slightly more concave than how my hand is might work better, not much though.

mouse3.jpg

mouse1.jpg

mouse4.jpg

mouse5.jpg

mouse2.jpg

While it does give me enough buttons, it seems like the right-most ones are relatively flat, whereas a more natural resting position for my hand has somewhat of a curve to it.

Yeah, it is difficult to make something that would feel nice and ergonomic in hand without being able to actually hold it.

So! I tried again, this time with clay, and I hope this design may be closer to what you are looking for.

Also it turns out that our hands are almost the exact same size, so that was helpful.

Anyway, here it is:

Side w/ hand

TboRfsi.jpg?1

Bottom w/ hand

M0YxX8B.jpg?1

Top w/ hand

RfM9djr.jpg?1

Front

kBrMbxS.jpg?1

Side

GiOxTk3.jpg?1

Top w/ size comparison

fAwklC4.jpg?1

The button layout is pretty similar to the last model I posted, however, the thumb spade has turned into a paddle button on the thumb rest, and the ring and pinky buttons are on their consecutive rests as well. And the ring finger also has an additional button behind it.

Well you can tell me, but the pinky area looks like it could be laid out a bit flat. How natural does it feel in the hand? Also the slope on the side looks a little "hump-ish" also. If it helps, here's a diagram I made a while back showing what I like / dislike about the slope:

9hqkxh.jpg

Honestly I think it is pretty comfortable, but I'm pretty bias because the shaping was based off the R.A.T that I have been using for 5 years.

It fits very well into my hand and feels pretty natural. I agree however that the ring and pinkie fingers could probably be less wrapped into the mouse, but this was done so that the thumb and pinkie form the "grip points" for finer movements (the movements done more with the fingers than the wrist).

So, when I get the chance I'll smooth out the side arch and pull out the ring/pinkie sections. The pinkie will most likely still have a little wrap though, to maintain the grip point.

Also, from your image I have assumed that you prefer to have the majority of your palm resting on the mouse, is this correct?

Okay Ross, I reworked the clay model, and I think I have a concept here that you're going to like.

I made the whole mouse about a 1/4 inch longer and I curved the whole thing. This should place in into the "gradual slope" category. Hell yeah.

Also I removed the ring/pinkie platforms and made them into scallops instead. This allows the right side grip points to be along side the fingers instead of behind them.

What this also does is place the hand into a very natural resting position, as if just chilling on a tabletop.

Another thing that changed is that the thumb control area was cut off and slid back a little into a better place. It was too far forward before.

Overall I think the contour is very comfortable and hopefully closer to what you had in mind.

Here are some pictures.

G8iTsnQ.jpg?1

gf7Vcfp.jpg?1

nEukjVT.jpg?1

kMua4Mc.jpg?1

SDcwYmU.jpg?1

ekket: That looks like almost exactly what I want, too bad it's still prototyping.

EDIT:

Almost, upon further examination it looks like they don't have a button for the pinky finger either, I'm a mutant.