Choosing a Graphics Card

Sign in to follow this  

Post here if you need help picking a graphics card you want for a new pc or to upgrade your old.

My Question: ATI Radeon HD 6750 or Nvidia GTX 550ti? I know the gtx is better, but I want to know which one's the best deal. I'm not so freaked about graphics that I'll only play Crysis on max settings, I just want a card that'll handle whatever I throw at it. Suggestions for different cards will be accepted, but keep in mind I'm going for best value. Thanks, :D

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

It's all about the price category you're looking at.

For super high performance Nvidia usually wins for Medium High performance it's ATI and for cheap performance it's also usually ATI.

But then there is a debate of which games you would like to play with it, some support one more than the other, and by support I mean if you play with the other you will have retarded glitches.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

GTX 550Ti is best as compare to 6750, but 6750 is cheap and has some it own advantages, like it is cool and quite in operation while GTX 550Ti heat up more than 6750.

Thanks guys. I'm tending towards the GTX 550 more because of lerformance. I'm getting Battlefield 3 from preorder, so I'll need all the firepower I can get, and when you've got almost $2000 to push around for a PC, you can afford the finer things. I love my dad and Christmas sooooo much.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

What's the rest of your rig? Maybe we can help in something else (:

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Whadya mean? If you're talking about the specs I hope to have on the new PC, I'm going with an AMD Athlon X6 (3 GhZ), 6-8 GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, and some Turtle Beach PX5's 8-)

Whadya mean? If you're talking about the specs I hope to have on the new PC, I'm going with an AMD Athlon X6 (3 GhZ), 6-8 GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, and some Turtle Beach PX5's 8-)

GEEZUS

Have you considered using a startup SSD?

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

What's that?

This is technically part of my rig: A REALLY big, comfy chair for gaming and typing.

What's that?

This is technically part of my rig: A REALLY big, comfy chair for gaming and typing.

If you mean a startup SSD it's a Solid State Drive to install your operating system on to improve load time.

If you mean a GEEZUS I'm not so sure either. :P

I have my own computer to build this January, but I know not to look at parts until you're just about to buy them (or to post in other people's threads).

Not bad... not bad at all. Have you tried the PX5's, though? I did, and I wasn't impressed for the price point... the software they offer to edit the presets is fairly limited, or was before I sent the headset back for a refund. If you're planning on using them for a phone mic via the dual bluetooth capabilities, you might want to try that first; when I tried using them for this purpose, the mic was barely audible on the other phone...

Also, what are you looking at specifically for RAM speed? Dual-channel or triple (more or less a motherboard problem)? Case? Heatsinks?

Ah, sorry :lol: I get a bit excited when it comes to talking computer builds (I'm guessing this is going to be a custom build?)

I was thinking about PX3's recently. They're just as good and less expensive from what I've heard. As for RAM, I'm thinking dual-channel. My friend suggested 4 sticks of 2GB triple-channel and I laughed at him. I've git money, but where the hell am I gonna need 24 GB of friggin ram?! :lol:

As for RAM, I'm thinking dual-channel. My friend suggested 4 sticks of 2GB triple-channel and I laughed at him. I've git money, but where the hell am I gonna need 24 GB of friggin ram?! :lol:

Also, uh... how would you get a good triple channel set up with 4 sticks of RAM?? Also, 4 2GB triple-channel RAM would only come out to equal 8GB of RAM, not 24. In the case of using 4 sticks, you'd be better off using a dual-channel system anyway and, honestly, I don't think there are AMD motherboards (the kind you'll need for your processor) that support triple channel memory anyway (none show up on Newegg, at least) :)

You'll want to make sure your motherboard will work with your processor and offer the expandability you need to keep up with changing software and hardware.

Sorry if I'm giving unwelcome advice, lol ^^;

You should definetly check out your motherboard compatibility.

Another thing is you would need to consider some strong yet not too loud fans for the quipment.

And let's not forget with the graphics card you will probably add another gig of ram to your computer which would make it 9 or 7 gigs respectively.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Thanks for the clarification Ob. My friend told me 1GB of Triple Channel was equivilent to 3GB. He so dumb :)