Game Dungeon Wish List

I don't think Ross said he would limit himself to just indie games.

You probably misunderstood me. I meant to say that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is too loud of a title, too many people know about it and, actually, the game assembled around itself almost a cult. A ton of books has been written about this universe. So it's unlikely that any of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games will appear at the RGD.

And by the way - my country created it so I'm not trying to underrate the game or anything.

Populous: The Beginning. Never heard of it? Populous, as a series, is considered the reason for the term "god game" - In my personal opinion, it has a very odd, but unique charm to it. Otherwise, also developed by Bullfrog, Dungeon Keeper 2 is a very fitting game for October.

Please note, I have terrible taste.

I like this puzzle game called Gubble for PS1 and PC, with an iOS port a while back. It's relatively obscure. Not the game I would like covered.

Gubble had a sequel for PC, Gubble 2. It was thought to have been cancelled for a while when it was already out. The people who made it still sell Gubble, but not Gubble 2 or the cart racing spin-off (Really). It's not really easy to find, and if you go looking for a download under the name "Gubble 2" chances are you're going to get the game in German. In order to find it to download in English you have to look for Gubble Zymbot Quest.

Oddly enough, this windows 98 game still works fine under Windows 7

"We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things." ~ Elric, the Technomage

ufu719h.jpg

KLriAAM.jpg

More screenshots here: https://imgur.com/a/9qqhR

Pyro ][ (or Pyro 2)

This is a game where you play as a pyromaniac with the goal of burning buildings without getting burned himself.

It was made by a guy who today is the president of a company responsible for a pretty well known MMORPG.

You unravel a ball of string, which is burning from the other end, and walk past oil canisters or pour down their contents to get the fire to spread before exiting to the floor below you.

The fierier the floor is, the slower the string burns, so in order to get far, it is necessary cause as much fire as you can.

Latter levels may throw more obstacles at you, like closing doors or guards or other people. In my last run I was caught by the president of United States himself when trying to burn the White House.

If you reach the score of 300000 or higher, you become a Pyro Master, and you may send the code (needed to play the Secret Agent scenario) you've received to the creator of the game to be included in the Hall of Fame in the next version of the game.

There is apparently a way to become Super Pyro (the instructions include controls for it), but I have no clue what that's all about.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

I just torrented it because it looks like it might be fun. I'll let you know once I play it. (happening in 3... 2... 1...)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

OK, here are a few obscure old games I'd like to toss your way.

First up: Nitemare 3-D, an early Wolfenstein clone that was ostensibly a follow-up to the Hugo series of freeware graphic adventure games. It's interesting in that it's another old game that's not actually abandonware; the creator still sells it from his website for, last I checked, $12. A bit steep, but hey, the Exchange wanted $40 for the original Spyro the Dragon so it's all relative I guess. Still works out to 60 cents per level once you account for the first 10 being shareware.

A word of warning: What you get is the installer for a 16-bit Windows version that won't run on anything past XP, but it sucks anyway; what you really want is the DOS version, which you can get by opening the folder where it installed to. It works fine in DOSBox for me, music and all, and comes complete with semi-tolerable mouse control (the mouse replaces all four arrow keys, so you'll be nudging yourself forward and backward a lot as you try to aim). If you get hopelessly lost, as I finally did in level 12, the Windows installer also sticks a map viewer in your Start menu.

Now that I know you've covered Commodore 64 games, here's one I loved as a kid: Bristles. It's an arcadey sort of game where you're a house painter getting attacked by flying paint cans and things. Not much else to say about this.

And finally... *fanfare* ...Pickle Wars. You're living on a pacifistic earth-like planet that gets invaded by aliens that look like giant pickles. Humanity's only hope is to retrieve the cache of weapons your civilization discarded ages ago. You must fight through a series of side-scrolling levels armed only with a Salad Shooter, which is surprisingly effective against them. I don't know if this was a promotion for Salad Shooters, or what the hell. Apparently this is also not abandonware and also costs $12 for the second and third episodes. Bizarre coincidence.

Don't know how obscure this is, but I'd love to see a review of Douglas Adams' "Starship Titanic".

Seconding this, now that it's available on GOG.

770628-i_have_no_mouth_and_i_must_scream.jpg

Game adaptation of Robert Heinlein? Does it include the sex scenes?

How about doing a review of Captain Comic?

The first game in the series came out in 1988 and it was one of the first side-scrolling metroidvania-type games to come out for the PC - a really nice game that needs much more recognition than it has.

I don't recommend the NES version though - that one sucks.

I also found an interview with the creator of the game: http://www.neswarpzone.com/denio.html

Now that Earthsiege and the Tribes series are released completely for free, there's no barrier for Ross on reviewing them. (and I so desperately want to hear his opinion of them, especially an Earthsiege vs Mechwarrior comparison)

I would love Ross ∞ times more if he does a review on Cossacks Back to War. I think he would find this game interesting as it is technically better than Age of empires, you get a cool map editor thats more extensive than the Civ 5 map editor AND it comes with an encyclopedia about the history of the nations. Thats 500 dollars in a 10 dollar game (Since college textbooks are so god damn expensive). Its also my first PC game I ever played but I don't know if that reason would change Ross's mind.

Maybe this game will help him dive into other problems in videogames like why some games or consoles that are better and fun have lower sales than the inferior games and consoles (Gamecube/Dreamcast with PS2, CSS with CS1.6, Binding of Isaac, etc.)

I've got two:

bass.png

Beneath a Steel Sky

ufo.png

UFO: Enemy Unknown / X-Com: Alien Defense

I still regularly play UFO Enemy Unknown and Beneath a Steel Sky is a true classic, an absolute gem. I'd love to see Ross cover these at some point. I know both of these are pretty much mainstream and nothing like some of the things Ross generally manages to dig up (Nyet, I'm looking at you) but even so, Enemy Unknown is so much fun and Beneath a Steel Sky is so immersive with some fantastic atmosphere and graphic design.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people

Tribes, Tribes 2, and tribes Vengeance. Granted my focus is on Tribes 2 since that's what i'm familiar with, but all of these are Online Shooters that take a bit to learn how to use, so I dunno what your interest level will be.

The reason being twofold. One: Hi-Rez (the current copyright owners) literally just went 'here are ISO's, Go Nuts. I mean they still clearly own the rights and likely want to generate interest for an upcoming game, but the point is they went and gave things away. Two, and this is the MORE IMPORTANT POINT, The fanbases have managed to revive downed master servers to make a franchise that is basically online only about as ragnarok proof as possible until you literally can't run the program or emulate windows to run it or whatever. Tribes 1 got an attempted re-release with newer drivers but got abandoned (but a copy got leaked), tribes 2 got a fan patch to get a new server up, and vengeance got hacked around with the revengeance version...

The point is these are games that the fans saved the franchise. Even if the numbers aren't there. It's still THERE and playable.

Plus the lore for the franchise, especially since effectively NONE of it shows up in game, is absolutely insane.