ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: NYET 3

rgd_nyet3.png

Blip.tv link

Well I had intended for this episode to be shorter and less edited than the last one, but that didn't happen as I had too many things to say about this game. Here's the next installment of RGD either way. This is a very noteworthy and deceptive game as you'll find out in the review. I'm really going to try and make the next one shorter.

In a decision I'm sure will upset some people, while it's been time consuming, I am enjoying working on the game dungeon (I would have called this show The Game Dungeon if that wouldn't have doomed the name to obscurity trying to search for it) and I'd like to continue pushing with it to Halloween. It's my goal to get two more episodes out this month, with a special one being released on Halloween. This unfortunately means Freeman's Mind will have to get put on hold, but only until November. I promise to resume work on it on Novemeber 1st. In the meantime, hey, more videos!

LINK TO FORUM COMMENTS

*NOTE FROM ROSS*

Either the website or else I somehow accidentally deleted your post and it was replaced with a copy of the announcement. I don't know how this happened. Go ahead and edit this and change it back to whatever you wanted to say. Sorry blue_dust!

Nyao nyao~ 子猫は幸せです

This made my evening. Indeed, some games of that time, including this one, contained this primal evil in them that screwed up your ideals and made you enrage and willing to break someone's neck. I'm so glad this wasn't just me who felt it. If I'll ever make it to USA I'll get Ross some beers for making my life a little bit clearer.

Excellent!Great writing,the humor comes in just perfect and you're showing people a game that very few know of.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This post has been approved by the local psychiatric ward. Play safe!

I'm immensely enjoying these reviews (or, rather, retrospectives or something, I don't really know what to call it). I know that forum posts on your own website are liable to be bias, but I really think this is much better than the majority of drivel out there.

I just wanted to say that I've been enjoying these episodes of Game Dungeon immensely. Somehow everything you do about them is right: The right focus on what makes games great or noteworthy and what sets them apart from and above the crowd; the tone - confident and humorous without being irritating or obnoxious; the pacing driving and engaging; and a fantastic taste in games. Tyrian is of course ridiculously awesome, but I had never heard of Nyet 3, and yet the review had my complete attention.

I was skeptical initially that you'd got bored of Civil Protection and Freeman's Mind, but this has definitely been worth it.

Keep it up!

So hey, BTGBullseye, have you heard about this game before? ;d

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Why do you want to make them shorter? This series is very amusing to watch!
I need to have a LOT to say in order to make it any longer than this, I can only think of a handful of games like that, though this one surprised me with how much I ended up talking about it.

I just wanted to say that I've been enjoying these episodes of Game Dungeon immensely. Somehow everything you do about them is right: The right focus on what makes games great or noteworthy and what sets them apart from and above the crowd; the tone - confident and humorous without being irritating or obnoxious
Thanks, I'll try not to make it irritating or obnoxious, these are mostly just honest impressions, but with me trying to spice it up a little. I feel like I can't compete against somebody like the AVGN in terms of outright game rage (games actually don't make me especially angry, I mostly just get discouraged or annoyed if they're antagonistic. Any anger expressed on the show will likely be on some other topic that's related to the particular game), and I've already seen some other reviews that are far more thorough and informative than what I'll be doing. I figure my strengths will be just flat out talking about games I have strong opinions on, plus having lots of non sequitur rants because why not. So unlike Freeman's Mind, pretty much anything I say on the show will be my actual thoughts and opinions on the games (unless I'm OBVIOUSLY trying to bullshit people).

Coincidentally, today is my birthday. A decent present, I suppose. :)

Another pretty good review. Like slack59, I like the tone of these videos. Informative and concise without being dry or boring, always making room to slip in the occasional humorous comment, which for the most part are genuinely funny. Props for not resorting to the typical AVGN/NC style of excessively yelling of obscenities. Not saying that their videos aren't funny (they are, dangerously so), but it gets kinda dull when every single other reviewer on the internet does the same thing.

It should come as no surprise that I've never heard of this game. In fact, I didn't even know that "Tetris games" were a thing. This game at least looks creative, though I can see how the micromanagement would take away all the fun. That's happened to me in more than a few games.

Shame about the Freeman's Mind episodes being put on hold though. I was really looking forward to the next episode: the end of Surface Tension, Freeman's reaction to the soldiers pulling out in particular. That and the second Gargantua. But this is a good enough substitute. It taking only a short time to come out, much shorter than your other two series, is also a huge plus.

(Though I don't really understand that part; don't you improvise most of what you say in Freeman's Mind anyway, only thinking about a few jokes in advance? And these videos are twice as long as the average Freeman's Mind episode to boot)

I feel like I can't compete against somebody like the AVGN in terms of outright game rage.

The point is that you don't want to. Lesser men will crumble under the anger levels he endures. Maybe you should do a review of the Stanly Parable.

Loving RGD, keep'em coming. I am a huge fan of the F.Mind series and it would be great to get them more often but RGD is a great change of pace. Getting two of these out between F.Mind episodes would be awesome. (Maybe throw in a sequel to Doom Guys Mind if your voice can handle it lol)

I would like to nominate Penn and Teller's "Desert Bus" as a future review subject.

That or "Rise of the Triad" or one of the Keen episodes.

Count me in as enjoying the series thus far, and I was fairly skeptical when I first saw these posted.

It's fun listening to freeman but not-freeman Ross talk about really obscure games i've never heard of in my life. I'm all for more 10-20 game review shows on youtube as long as they find their only style and draw to give them a feel of difference. Pretty good so far.

Hey, Ross! I've been loving these RGD episodes. Played through Tyrian this past week and now I'm checking out Nyet III.

I wonder if your copy is faulty... When I die in my copy, I get dumped back to the Main Menu. Takes some of the hopelessness and dismay out of the game (which could be either good or bad, depending on how you look at it).

hehe I wish I could toss a few game ideas at you to consider reviewing one day X3 but... when HL was released I was 4 :l so the only game that I love that isn't like mario or kirby is Arcanum.. which is probably too well known and new for your reviewing tastes.

also I'm sure the people on youtube can suck it up (they're not all 12 years old). it's cool to hear your opinions on games and see older games that I've never heard about... I must admit I don't play enough video games or watch enough reviews to really say much more though.

I would like to nominate Penn and Teller's "Desert Bus" as a future review subject.

Nerd³ did an 8 hour Desert Bus Let's Play...

No! Another 15+ minute episode! My poor fingers!

...so consider yourself lucky. (for now)

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

I'm liking the Game Dungeon videos so far, and I wonder what you'll be doing next.

Also, Nyet 3 looks interesting, but jeez, that save mechanic sounds ridiculous. There'd be an outrage if a modern game tried something like that.