Ross's Game Dungeon: CarnEvil

rgd_carnevil.jpg

Blip.tv link

I've been awake for about 35 hours, and only had 5 hours sleep the night before that, so thinking of things to say is getting increasingly challenging. Enjoy the Halloween episode! I made it on time! I'm not sure if it was the best trade for sleep though. I would like to sleep. This one was an experiment where instead of making it more review oriented, I decided to attempt a full playthrough of the game. It combines some of the style of Freeman's Mind and RGD. It may have been a mistake, I'm not sure. It seemed to have more disadvantages compared to RGD or FM individually. It certainly took a long time to do. Anyway, this is quite an exciting game to cover regardless. I was definitely channeling some of FM when talking about Rickety Town.

Unless it becomes wildly popular, this will probably the last episode of RGD for a while. I'm pretty much just going to focus on Freeman's Mind starting in November. I'm pretty sure I need to sleep first though.

If you're scared of clowns you shouldn't watch this episode at all.

LINK TO FORUM COMMENTS

The awkward thing is that I actually worked at an amusement park in Iowa. :?

This game pretty much gives an accurate representation of the place except for the zeppelin. We didn't get to have a zeppelin. That was sad.

At the end of the game, you expect to "get the girl". Instead you get to play again and the girl is screaming at you to not put the token back into the cursed machine. That's a really nice twist. Thanks for sharing this with us Ross. You reminded me that I had the same kind of "this thing can't exist" I had with the cartoon, "Reboot". Both this game and that show had VERY unusual premises and for many years I thought Reboot was something I dreamed about. You wouldn't believe how happy I was when I found out it was real. It was probably similar to your experience with CarnEvil, so I appreciate your feelings on the game.

For extra reading on CarnEvil and Reboot, here's a few links if you're interested:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/CarnEvil?from=Main.CarnEvil

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/CarnEvil

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/CarnEvil

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WesternAnimation/ReBoot

Note: YMMV means your mileage may vary. That simply means not everyone has the same feelings on the game for whatever reason. You can look at the extra links on top of the "main" pages for more info.

I had somehow prepared myself when you said something about shooting clowns in the face at the end of the last episode, but this surpassed all my expectatives. Especially because you did a complete playthrough of it (I never expected that), and the voice acting was even better than anything I had seen in Freemans´Mind til this day (which I personally consider one of the best I ever heard).

So, I know gonna focus in Freeman´s Mind from now on, but RGD has become my favorite Accursed Fams series til this very day, so I now have two reasons to refresh the site like crazy (well, three, CP is still there and it´s still very enjoyable even for the memories).

Great Job man!

R.I.P in peace Civil Protection, I knew you well.

Civil Protection was never called off, calm down! :P

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

R.I.P in peace Civil Protection, I knew you well.

I'm sure that will return one day. You know, when Ross finds a way to make it without having to spend months on animation and such.

As for the video, nice job!

Really great episode again, best thing any of my content producers have done for Halloween so far, this video will probably go toe to toe with Hellsing Abridged episode 4, which I am incredibly hyped about. My only piece of criticism is that I didn't notice the random cutaway line in this one the "I'm flying a carrot" moment that I thought was becoming a very effective running gag on RGD, but it's not the end of the world if you don't get one in every episode so whatever. I really don't want to see this series fade away and I know I'm not the only one thinking this; though I also can't say I'm disappointed to hear Freeman's Mind is coming back. When your fans' biggest problem with your content is they don't know which series they're dying to see more of, I'd say things are going well. Hope you get a good weekend's rest and Happy Halloween!

Fantastic video. I'd have to say that out of FM, CP, and RGD, CP is my favorite and FM and RGD are about tied (though RGD is maybe a little ahead, if only because it's still shiny and new). Though it seems to be that when comparing Ross's work to Ross's other work it's a matter of determining which gold nugget is the biggest and shiniest.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

I'm getting this funny feeling that Ross is sick gross of Freeman's Mind. Not that somebody's is getting impatient or anything but ...

Hope you'll give your game reviews' the same heart you gave to the first episodes of Freeman's Mind.

Peace.

Thanks for making these at all.

They were very enjoyable to watch, especially this one.

From this episodes experience:

If you ever make Let's Plays I'd probably watch those too.

But I doubt you'll ever make something like those.

Anyway, Freemans Mind next again, yay!

Cheers!

My only piece of criticism is that I didn't notice the random cutaway line in this one the "I'm flying a carrot" moment that I thought was becoming a very effective running gag on RGD, but it's not the end of the world if you don't get one in every episode so whatever.

Those running gags get old really quickly and they make the episodes look a bit trite. I think it's good that Ross avoids that (if that's what he does).

OKAY NEW IDEA

GOOFY-THEMED FREEMAN'S MIND EPISODE

I WILL FIGHT FOR THIS IDEA UNTIL IT HAPPENS GODDAMMIT.

I second that notion, but how does that fit with Gordon's personality?

My only piece of criticism is that I didn't notice the random cutaway line in this one the "I'm flying a carrot" moment that I thought was becoming a very effective running gag on RGD, but it's not the end of the world if you don't get one in every episode so whatever.

Those running gags get old really quickly and they make the episodes look a bit trite. I think it's good that Ross avoids that (if that's what he does).

Actually I love running gags if they can be clever and various. Jokes of the same style don't get old for me the way the exact same joke does. When I watch say CP Friday (for the 100th time) Dave's nonsense isn't as funny now as when I first saw the episode, but so long as each of the jokes in this running gag are unique (I'm flying a carrot and If I hear one more bad song I'm gonna go nuts are very different funny lines) then it's fine with me.

OKAY NEW IDEA

GOOFY-THEMED FREEMAN'S MIND EPISODE

I WILL FIGHT FOR THIS IDEA UNTIL IT HAPPENS GODDAMMIT.

I second that notion, but how does that fit with Gordon's personality?

Gordon is stranded, starving, desperate for something to eat, but all he can find are these very strange mushrooms...

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

So I hear you don't like Christmas stuff in Halloween Ross.

Well sucks to be you I guess :D

E43045D15242D008A5DA84384E19CF8BBB5CAAC6

29170F3FB8C0EE22963567DA4C7301B8DA56454A

C82E356735E0B9E4C2DFBC22BAEDB12ACD31E337

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

It took six years to get a physics degree. Don't do what I did, try engineering or social studies.