ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: STRIFE

This my favorite RGD episode ever.

And Ross, you can get the awesome lighting in GZDoom too, just drag the lights.pk3 file (in the GZDoom folder too) along STRIFE1.WAD and VOICES.WAD

Oh no. It's on Steam now for ten dollars. Does this mean Ross would frown upon pirating it? Does that money go to the original developers?

The emulation link is still in the description. That either means it's a-okay to use or Ross forgot to remove it, meaning *gasp* he's human!

Classic Strife is now up on GOG as "The Original Strife: Veteran Edition" btw :D

https://www.gog.com/game/strife_veteran_edition

Saw the trailer the other day, nice to see more of these games coming to GOG.

"I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, cause that means he's hiding it from you. If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive." -No-bark Noonan

Pathways into Darkness is probably worse maze wise but at least the map for it and its sequel, Marathon is easier to read and comprehend than Doom engine or Build engine games.

PID is timed however and the timer speeds up by 7 minutes per 1 or 2 seconds when you sleep in game. The Labyrinth floor is even randomised every time you go to it, as a reference to the developer's (Bungie's) first commercial game, Minotaur: the Labyrinths of Crete.

Except that the PID labyrinth is full of electrified Rover sentries from the Prisoner, as opposed to network players.

http://lparchive.org/Pathways-Into-Darkness/Update%2023/sphere.png

Strife: Veteran Edition just got an Update. They added:

• The original DOS Version
  • A Beta development snapshot from 1995

You can choose between those two and the Veteran Edition while starting the game on Steam.

Quite nice to see that the game gets updates like that.

3 hours ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

i'm not sure why anyone would want to bother with DOS of all things, also wow they adde BLOOM to an old 90s game? really?

why? this looks horrible, you can turn off the bloom right? i've been meaning to check out the steam version

1M7nTmy.png

Yes, you can disable Bloom completely or you can leave it on and change the intensity. Whatever one prefers.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:36 AM, RaTcHeT302 said:

i'm not sure why anyone would want to bother with DOS of all things, also wow they adde BLOOM to an old 90s game? really?

I think you just answered your own question. The DOS version is the original, unaltered, for people who want the 100% authentic experience even if it means having to run it in an emulator or on a retro rig.

Nitemare 3D did the same thing when it was ported to Windows—which is the only reason it's still possible to run it on a modern system at all, since the Windows version is 16-bit.

Hi folks, just wanted to let y'all know that Strife is now available on the switch. Havent played it yet, anyone know if its a good port? 

So in this video, Ross mentioned that Strife uses a medieval looking world where most advanced technology exists only in small pockets. Well, the neurons were connecting in my brain during one of my college classes and I realized something interesting.

While that world aesthetic is relatively rare in a lot of western media, I recently noticed that there are *A LOT* of JRPGs that use this trope. And after taking a Japanese Culture course, it occurred to me that there are large chunks of Japan that are just like that. Not just in architecture, because a lot of old European towns definitely still have castles and cottages and shit. But like a lot of Japanese towns still practice traditions that might be *thousands* of years old in some form, except now you're sending RSVPs on your phone.

I suppose my point here is twofold. 1- It's just interesting how this trope manifests much more frequently and with a slightly different aesthetic in Japan due to the environment they live in.

2- We don't even need a global catastrophe to create this aesthetic! All you need is a community that's stayed in one place for a very long time.