ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: POTTY PIGEON

Forgive the double post, but in the last three years, well:

You may have heard of Pigeon Simulator, a 3D game prototype that looks somewhat like Goat Sim: https://www.bossapresents.com/

There's also Grayland, a game where there's a war going on between humans and aliens and you're a pigeon that shits on things: https://store.steampowered.com/app/297190/Grayland/

...I want to stress that I didn't go looking for these games. They found me.

Also, although there's no poop, you have to admit Untitled Goose Game hits a lot of the checkmarks you laid out for bird mischief in the English countryside. Put all these games into a cauldron, stir them up and you might have the perfect birdshit game on your hands.  Please wash your hands.

Edited by Archdeco (see edit history)

I found the original manual for this game, see attachment.

Official keyboard controls go like this:
Z - Left
X - Right
: - Up
/ - Down
Space - Fire

The manual also explicitly states that you drop "revolting explosive eggs". So yeah, not poop but it's fun to imagine anyway.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Nicknine (see edit history)

On 5/30/2023 at 11:04 AM, Nicknine said:

I found the original manual for this game, see attachment.

Official keyboard controls go like this:
Z - Left
X - Right
: - Up
/ - Down
Space - Fire

The manual also explicitly states that you drop "revolting explosive eggs". So yeah, not poop but it's fun to imagine anyway.

s-l1600.jpg

Gremlin Graphics hit with false advertising suit over 40 year old game

Something I never noticed before is the parallax scrolling of the mountains and clouds. That's pretty advanced stuff for 1984, just two years into the computer's lifecycle! Even if they do tend to bounce back when you stop moving for some reason.

And while some of the weirdness with the controls appears to be down to the emulator mapping up and left to shift+down and shift+right, respectively, I can't explain the rest. If it were a joystick #1 game I'd just put it down to input conflicts, because that was something the shoddily-engineered breadbin was known for and the reason so many games defaulted to joystick #2 instead. Is there maybe some kind of advanced programming technique for polling keys that's faster (gotta save those extra cycles for parallax scrolling, after all!) but results in polling a whole group of keys instead of just one?