ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: ARCADE AMERICA

rgd_arcade_america.jpg

Happy 4th of July! I BARELY got this video done after working pretty much non-stop on it since the last one. I actually intended for this video to be about a third of the length it is, but it sort of snowballed into what you have now. I really started identifying with the protagonist of this video towards trhe end, and I'm convinced for the amount of hours I put into this you could probably drive across the USA, maybe even using Joey's insane route. I can say with certainty there's no way this video would have been done on time without the SSD drive, it was crucial for many phases.

Anyway, I'm happy with how this turned out, even if it's left me kind of a wreck. While I still have a lot of plans, I'm really going to have to scale back on Game Dungeon for the foreseeable future. Since I've publicly promised to finish Freeman's Mind for HL1 this year, that's going to have to take priority until I'm more comfortable with where things are at. Also I think I should never do another video with a deadline again unless it's 3 years in advance.

I'm afraid there won't be progress on it immediately however as I could really use a break. I've more or less been working every day for... years? Lately the pace has been so time consuming I've had almost no leisure time at all. Besides what you've seen on the videos, I haven't played a game in about 1-2 months, so I'd really like to have a few days to just relax for a little bit before I dive back into everything. This does mean that Freeman's Mind will take a little longer to come out, but it's the new priority.

LINK TO FORUM COMMENTS

Get good rest, Ross. While we frequently praise the cleverness and quality of your work, we seldom praise the extremely hard work you put in for us. Thank you very much. Happy independence Day (even though it's July 5th in Poland).

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite site on the extranet.

Get good break.

Any particular reason why its three parts? I didnt got watching it yet so if it says there Ill find out but im curious otherwise.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

I made Ross food yesterday and today (and ordered some pizza too), so he would have strenght and time to finish this video on time :D It's 3:48 a.m. And I always wanted to brag about this. I make food for Ross :mrgreen:

Also, this is the ONLY review so far that I won't watch more than once, because this game seems to be a psychotic torture invented by cartoonists on LSD mixed with crack.

Thank you, good night!

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

I wonder how many people think the dev team was on drugs. I wish I could put up a poll for that.

And by the way, I LOVE the corruption jokes in DC. So very, very fitting.

EDIT:

And ninja'd by the first one to say it. You know, the the makers were really on LSD, he wouldn't be zipping across the states. He'd be carefully watching the voices of his band members and listening to the smell of his air freshener for the whole game. If you added crack he'd just be really enthusiastic about his entangled senses. (Not that this wouldn't be entertaining, of course.)

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

I watched it all in one sitting. I don't know the words for how I feel now. I guess it's a good thing I'm not the person who was actually playing it.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

Loved watching it, especially since its three parts.

But daaaaamn. I think I lost a few IQ points along the way..

Thanks for all the hard work though!

Looking forward to some Freeman's Mind again.

In part one, 8:00, I think the guy said "...from the PLUMBER's Local union..." Its a plumber's crack joke. He's saying he needs to pull his pants up because his butt crack is too visible.

Damn "Creative" Labs. You should talk about Aureal at some point. They were the last serious competitor Creative Labs had in the consumer sound card market, back when there was such a thing. They were actually starting to innovate and add cool new features that games were supporting. Then Creative Labs sued them, lost, but destroyed them with legal fees and then got to buy all their patents. Creative labs is the gaming industry's Monsanto.

Now you've got me all cheesed off. I'm gonna play some Temple of Apshai.

Loved the episode(s) Ross. The only problem I have with it is that in all of the recent episodes you don't do the one or two second cutaways. You know, like in Tyrian where you say "I have a ship that's a carrot."

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

I made Ross food yesterday and today (and ordered some pizza too), so he would have strenght and time to finish this video on time :D

Oh, so Ross only gets to eat when he finishes a video? That's what I call discipline! :shock::)

Regards

I made Ross food yesterday and today (and ordered some pizza too), so he would have strenght and time to finish this video on time :D

Oh, so Ross only gets to eat when he finishes a video? That's what I call discipline! :shock::)

Regards

No I only get to SLEEP after finishing the video.

Regards

:shock::D:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I love it!

...but it's like Ross commented. He eats regular meals, guys, don't worry :mrgreen:

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Take a good long nap, Ross, you earned it after slogging through that insanity.

I feel like it was supposed to be a kid's game, but the deranged animation is a bit too much for Cartoon Network, if you get my drift. I think only kids could have liked this.

In part one, 8:00, I think the guy said "...from the PLUMBER's Local union..." Its a plumber's crack joke. He's saying he needs to pull his pants up because his butt crack is too visible.
Yeah, a bunch of people said that, I feel dumb that I didn't hear it. I added that to the annotations, I actually think that's pretty funny then since Joey is a little too lax even by plumber's standards.

Loved the episode(s) Ross. The only problem I have with it is that in all of the recent episodes you don't do the one or two second cutaways. You know, like in Tyrian where you say "I have a ship that's a carrot."
Stuff like that only happens when I spend more time on the video or it occurs to me. I tried to do the shark attack scene where I was screaming, but Joey was screaming instead and his was already pretty good. Basically the more time I spend on the video, the more polished it becomes and I felt rushed on the past two.

I feel like it was supposed to be a kid's game, but the deranged animation is a bit too much for Cartoon Network, if you get my drift. I think only kids could have liked this.
It's really in a weird grey zone. I mean you have the blood trail, the pin-up girl is drawn in a semi-revealing way and says some slightly racy stuff, there are bystanders mooning you in Florida, Joey moons the audience, you can run over people in your car, and the omitted Oklahoma scene goes beyond what you're likely to see in kid's shows.

Damn "Creative" Labs. You should talk about Aureal at some point. They were the last serious competitor Creative Labs had in the consumer sound card market, back when there was such a thing. They were actually starting to innovate and add cool new features that games were supporting. Then Creative Labs sued them, lost, but destroyed them with legal fees and then got to buy all their patents. Creative labs is the gaming industry's Monsanto.
Well that's sadly more standard practice in business. The Daniel K incident was so blatantly anti-consumer however, that stuff shouldn't be forgotten. I recommend Asus Xonar cards if you want dedicated audio. I have one and it does sound better than motherboard sound (though it's a subtle difference).

I guess it's a good thing I'm not the person who was actually playing it.
Something I forgot to mention is the jump mechanics suck. You don't retain your momentum past a point. So if I jump to the left, it's like I hit a wall in the air then just fall instead of landing diagonally.

Yep, same with the "crack on the horizon" one.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

Enjoy the time off Ross, Gods know you can use some downtime. Besides, we know you'll deliver on what you say you're going to do and it'll be of high quality regardless of how long it takes. Unless you're bullshiting us, of course, lol.

Long is the way; and hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light-Paradise Lost

By the power of truth, while I live, I have conquered the universe-Faust

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes, except that one

Vae Victus-Brennus