Good Old Game Sponsorship of Ross's Game Dungeon

Sign in to follow this  

I think this is a great idea for sponsorship of RGD. Think about it: Ross wants to cover obscure, weird, or little known games, typically those of an older vintage. Good Old Games sells older, obscure, weird, and often forgotten PC games. And we know that PC games, whether IBM-compatible or even *gasp* lesser remembered PC platforms like those from Amiga, Atari, Commodore, Sinclair, et cetera, are usually overlooked by those conducting retro game videos these days due to the occasional technical difficulties in running them and the lack of the authors' exposure to these platforms during their formative years.

Just imagine, the RGD videos would be similar to how they are now with two little changes: the GOG.com logo shows up at the beginning and/or end of the video and as a watermark in the corner throughout the body of the review; and the games are chosen from the company's existing catalog instead of all over the place as they are now. And, as this would be just a temporary though hopefully bountiful and long-lasting sponsorship deal, we would return back to the normal formatting/selection at the end of the partnership.

Game Center CX has done something similar with Nintendo. Usually Game Center does play-throughs of 20th century games, but it is such a popular show that Nintendo sponsored a number of episodes during which the host played NES & SNES games via the Virtual Console option on Wii. And that went so well that a few short years later, Nintendo sponsored the show again, this time to have him play through Famicom Remix and then later Famicom Remix 2 for the Wii U. And we all know that GOG is more approachable than Nintendo.

Now we know that Ross had a very successful crowd-based fundraiser. And that, as a wise guy, he'll spend the money judiciously and invest what he can with prudence. But more money is a good thing. You never know when unexpected expenses will crop up. And it's nice to live a little more, to occasionally splurge on something not required for day-to-day living and yet be oh-so-nice to have. Like, for example, pretty, shiny, precious metals and gemstones for his lady friend.

All I'm saying is that a little contact, then negotiating, followed by signing a contract for a few episodes could result in additional thousands of dollars going Ross and company's way. We fans could even pitch in our voices on the GOG Wishlist to help make it happen. And easier living for Ross & friends is a good thing for all of us.

Well I feel like GOG are one of the few people doing things right, I'm just happy of their DRM policy. As for sponsorship, I'd rather get more Game Dungeons done first, plus for the remainder of the year I'm going to be focusing more on FM anyway. Also I don't know if it's something they would want, because if I think a game sucks, I'm likely to be vocal about it.

Well I feel like GOG are one of the few people doing things right, I'm just happy of their DRM policy. As for sponsorship, I'd rather get more Game Dungeons done first, plus for the remainder of the year I'm going to be focusing more on FM anyway. Also I don't know if it's something they would want, because if I think a game sucks, I'm likely to be vocal about it.

I know it's very late, but I just came across this thread and, depending on your interest, I think that you should try contacting GOG (via Twitter, Facebook, their Support page, the forums, etc.) and see what they say. (I'm a big GOG fan myself, despite having some disagreements with them of course.) Now that they have the rights to the old AD&D "Gold Box" games, perhaps they'd sponsor a video or two of those games like Eye of the Beholder regardless of what you say.

It might just be me, but I find something intrinsically worrying about sponsored reviews. Sure, it can be done in a respectful and above-board way, but between the commercial interests of the sponsor and the sense of modest gratitude of the sponsored there is far too much room for bruised egos and sore spirits.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

It might just be me, but I find something intrinsically worrying about sponsored reviews. Sure, it can be done in a respectful and above-board way, but between the commercial interests of the sponsor and the sense of modest gratitude of the sponsored there is far too much room for bruised egos and sore spirits.

I know this is an old thread, but since Ross mentioned it in the November chat, there's a huge difference between an affiliate link (what GOG was offering), and a sponsorship deal. Sponsorship deals mean that you receive money directly for creating content for a site. What GOG offered is simply the opportunity that, if a game appears on GOG, he could toss a link that will result in him receiving a small amount per sale.

I have a similar deal with No Scope. They've never paid me a dime to promo their stuff. Nor have they influenced me to overpromote. It's just a thing that exists, and if I feel it appropriate I can toss a link in my video description.

Now he would need to disclose either in the video (if he mentions buying it from the link), or in the description near the link that it's an affiliate link and that he would receive compensation for sales made through that link. Aside from that though, it's not a major issue, and I doubt he's going to start picking games specifically to cash in on that.

I know this is an old thread, but since Ross mentioned it in the November chat, there's a huge difference between an affiliate link (what GOG was offering), and a sponsorship deal. Sponsorship deals mean that you receive money directly for creating content for a site. What GOG offered is simply the opportunity that, if a game appears on GOG, he could toss a link that will result in him receiving a small amount per sale.

I have a similar deal with No Scope. They've never paid me a dime to promo their stuff. Nor have they influenced me to overpromote. It's just a thing that exists, and if I feel it appropriate I can toss a link in my video description.

Now he would need to disclose either in the video (if he mentions buying it from the link), or in the description near the link that it's an affiliate link and that he would receive compensation for sales made through that link. Aside from that though, it's not a major issue, and I doubt he's going to start picking games specifically to cash in on that.

From the way he described the offer, it sounded like GOG actually wanted to be above-board and reasonable. Mind you I wouldn't blame Ross for being more than a little ambivalent towards any sort of sponsorship, given the awful experience with Machinima he was forced to endure. That load of nonsense would of put me off from making financial arrangements with other parties.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa