ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: UNCANNY VALLEY

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

rgd_uncanny.jpg

Subtitles: English

More Game Dungeon! This is an episode I didn't have planned at all until a couple weeks ago, but it fits in with having spookier games for October, so I decided to throw it in. I wasn't even sure this game was going to be proper Game Dungeon material, but after playing through it, it certainly seemed to fit the bill. I actually cut out a chunk of this episode since I felt like it was going on a little long considering the length of the game. The part I omitted was about me asking questions of the developer directly concerning the timer. It wasn't anything especially fascinating, so I'll probably include it when I eventually do a follow-up episode.

In the meantime, I'll be working around the clock to have the Halloween episode out ASAP, there's still a lot left to do. This unfortunately means I'm going to have to neglect many messages and emails, but I'll try and make it up in November.

= = =

SCREENSHOT CONTEST

= = =

This is very short notice, but the developers gave me 3 extra copies of the game, so I'm having a small screenshot contest if you want to try and win a free copy! Here are the rules:

-Post or submit a screenshot (up to a maximum of 3) from any game.

-You can either post your entry in the forum thread to this episode here, or email it to me (rosswscott (at) gmail.com). If you email it, I highly prefer a link instead to an attachment.

-Only one copy of the game can be won per person.

-The deadline is roughly midnight of Oct. 29th PST. I will announce the winners the next day on the 30th. You can try and submit something late, but you risk not making it.

-I'll pick the winners by whichever screenshots I like best. So whoever has the most interesting or funny ones will likely win a copy of the game.

COMMENTS

Ross FYI, this video is unlisted on your channel
I know, Youtube needs time to process it to 1080p. I post the video here unlisted as soon as it's processed at 360p early sometimes.

I actually put this game on a list of my own to check out when I saw it in your preview video - and I'm going to refrain from watching the video until I play the game myself. Something to look forward to when I beat the game or stop caring about spoilers for it, whichever comes first.

Meanwhile, I'm just gonna leave this and this here.

Big fan of all the transparency, Ross. Enjoyed the review as well - do you think you might have been more harsh because you didn't want it to seem like they bought you by giving you a free copy? I hear that reviewers tend to have that problem.

Screenshot contest:

Ok so I am cheating by using The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, but my god, this is probably the most beautiful game yet.

Imgur link for all 3 pictures: http://imgur.com/a/TMm2Y

HMHkfuT.jpg

7gM1urw.jpg

qyjnV2n.jpg

Edit: sorry for very big images, I hid them under spoiler.

Big fan of all the transparency, Ross. Enjoyed the review as well - do you think you might have been more harsh because you didn't want it to seem like they bought you by giving you a free copy? I hear that reviewers tend to have that problem.
Not really, but I think I was harsher on the fact that this was for $10 normally (10 Euros in Europe). I left out a line actually that I would have valued it at about $2 myself being a cheapass. I feel like it comes up short for a $10 game. For a lot of the older games, that's less of an issue. Plus I worked security. They got the most fundamental aspect of security work wrong.

Question regarding the screenshot contest (although I won't be entering myself, I just think it's best to clarify this): do the screenshots have to be raw, or are they allowed to be photoshopped etc? I have a friend who does some AMAZING screenshots on Garry's Mod, here's an example, they're obviously heavily enhanced in post-production but are still considered "screenshots" by some.

72A625A4BF7490CDA05075FEFDD0D0EA8C6EF64D

Old image I had, but it's just a great image overall.

Hey Ross. I got a Skyrim Screenshot.

It's technically a mod glitch, but still totally a screenshot...

http://imgur.com/XPLUQmS

STORY TIME

I was trying out a combat mod that allowed you to remove limbs (i.e heads, arms, legs) from other characters with your weapons. I disabled the part where the mod was allowed to be used on my character but the mod did not listen and next thing I know an NPC decapitates me yet I remain invincible to the wound. Thus my screenshot.

Ross, would you consider doing a version of the review that's full of spoilers? Just a no-holds barred review that goes right into the meat of the problems, plot holes, etc.? I personally didn't feel compelled to play the game even before you reviewed it, so it might be nice to see your full review.

Here is my screenshot. I didn't really have anything funny, so i'm posting a picture that I took of frost collecting on the glass in elite dangerous.

aDvuaj8.png

I encountered these two bandits while playing Skyrim. I killed them one at a time, and the second one landed...well...in a less than flattering position. I may or may not have spent ten minutes trying to get the right angle for a picture.

84751015_AC2copy.thumb.jpg.377c4e21bfd3cdbbecee5adec1d1ec9d.jpg

Your editing was exemplary in this episode. You also beat me to the punch, I was going to post a message comparing the timed emails to the Deus Ex hacking. I wouldn't consider giving yourself enough experience for max hacking to even be a cheat in that game.

Somebody in the Youtube comments already asked this, but given your opinion of time limits in adventure-y explorer-y sorts of games like this, what is your opinion of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask?

I mean, the timer in that is a bit more forgiving (giving you about an hour per run, 2 if you know the ocarina trick), but I know it's thrown a lot of people off.

That said, for me, I liked how they implemented the timer in regards to time-based events in the game. Certain things would only happen at certain times, so it added a whole new dimension to the exploration, I felt.

Especially since it allowed you to actually fail missions, in which case you would just have to try again on the next cycle. For me, it's honestly one of my favorite open (sorta) world games out there for that very reason.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!