Kickstart a TIM SCHAFER adventure game.

Now I'm not exactly a huge adventure game fan, but I just got emailed about this kickstarter project headed by Double Fine.

If they get $400 000 worth of kickstarter money, they're going to be able to make this happen. The creator of Grim Fandango, Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle will be creating another adventure game. No doubt a wet dream for fans of the genre *cough*Alyxx*cough*.

I've pledged $30 and gained access to a bunch of awesome stuff, and during the time it took for me to fill out my credit card information we actually broke the $400 000 mark. With 33 days of the kickstarter left to go we've made enough money to fund the entire project without any interfering publishers to ruin it. The game is totally funded by gamers and though we'll have some limited control over the game's direction, Double Fine will be able to do whatever they want to make this game awesome.

It seems gamers really do want adventure games. Support the project now!

I know right, with this and Notch offering up money for Psychonauts 2 Double Fine seem like they're on a roll. I look forward to my 1080p videos, beta testing and game soundtrack. Especially the videos.

Now all I need is Brutal Legend on PC.

And those XBLA games.

All these recent happenings with Double Fine are things I have been fantasizing as happening ever since I really got into them. New adventure game with no publisher to fuck them over is nice. Notch (quite possibly) funding Psychonauts 2 while respecting DF's visions and style? Don't pinch me, this dream is here to stay.

I love you, yet can't stand to know you exist.

I have heard many good things about Tim Schafer and have never really played a whole lot of adventure games. This might be something worth checking out.

Also I love how the aim was for 400k in 34 days. There are now 33 days left and they already sit at 700k.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

$955k! Guys, I'll make you a deal. If we hit $980k I'll add RTS elements to the game! And if we hit $1M, I'll take them back out!

$1,132,197., phew.

He said it'd take 20 million dollars to fund Psy2. I doubt we'll make it past 4 mil by the end of this kickstart.

But there's always the possibility of another kickstart.

1. Stay on topic. This topic is not about Obsidian so keep that to its own thread.

There was an overlap and it has everything to do with the Tim Schafer kickstart.

2. Try not to double post. If you wanna add something, just edit your post. The edit button is there for a reason.

There was a double post to bump the page. This is hardly an active thread and no one would have seen the edit.

How come you mods go from derailing topics yourselves to going hardline without any reason. Especially with you and Bill.

1. Stay on topic. This topic is not about Obsidian so keep that to its own thread.

There was an overlap and it has everything to do with the Tim Schafer kickstart.

2. Try not to double post. If you wanna add something, just edit your post. The edit button is there for a reason.

There was a double post to bump the page. This is hardly an active thread and no one would have seen the edit.

How come you mods go from derailing topics yourselves to going hardline without any reason. Especially with you and Bill.

As long as it is on the first page, people are going to notice it when browsing the forum. There is no harm in just using the edit button.

And this was not about going hardline, I just wanted to inform you about staying on topic as I personally didn't see the relation, but I see your point.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Well NOW we are going off topic. Lets get back on the Kickstarter thing.

Indeed! I don't think the Obsidian comment was off-topic at all. In fact, it's a quite relevant point. The startling amount of funds that have been donated for the Double-Fine adventure game in such a short space of time could well set a precedent for other small games companies to follow suit.

I mean...wow, $1,627,766 in less than a week and there's still 30 days to go until the deadline. Admittedly this is Tim Schafer, who is known for the classic adventure games of the past which has undoubtedly helped spur things on, however if other small games companies can use Kick Starter to successfully make games that publishers won't fund, we might see some interesting new games in the future. Emphasis on the 'might' though, only time will tell.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."