Monkey island

Sign in to follow this  

Monkey island game- all we need is Guybrush (Marley-)Threepwood, pirate, who is willing to do anything to fend off his arch enemy ghost/zombie/demon pirate LeChuck and save his love Elaine Marley(-Threepwood) from LeChucks evil clutches, despite the fact that as it often happens, it is Guybrush himself in trouble. Oh and Voodo lady, cant forget her.

Now add some puzzles and jokes and you get one of most hilarious puzzle game.

Bloody hell, i just love the game series. BTW, did you know, that Monkey island series also gave inspiration to much of "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies?

This game series seems to go on-off cycles though, like LeChuck: first game was launched in 1990, next game in 1991. After that it took whole 6 years (1997) and we got 3rd Monkey island game, with 4th game ("Escape from monkey island) following soon in 2000 (also one of only 2 games using GrimE engine. despite only being able to play with keyboard, still worth it). Then once more, series went to hiatus until Tales of Monkey island was released by Telltale games in 2009, with quick follow-up of remakes of both 1st and 2nd game of series.

though, it seems that this was last revival, as Disney closed LucasArts (though still holds Monkey island rights) and is more likely to continue with "pirates of the caribbean" games, though Ron Gilbert (one of creators of series) is apparently willing to make more.

So, discuss- what game you like best, which character is your favourite, walktroughs, etc.

And if you havent played the game yet, grab bottle of voodoo root beer, gather pieces of map and set sails to play the game!

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

I've only played the first, second, and most of the fourth one (The game had a game-breaking glitch and I was forced to delete my save) and I absolutely adore this series. I really want some sort of hi-def collection of the games so that I can play them all. Scummvm refuses to work for me for Monkey 3 and I even tried DOSbox to no avail. But I loved the first two and I really would like to see more.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

I've only played the first, second, and most of the fourth one (The game had a game-breaking glitch and I was forced to delete my save) and I absolutely adore this series. I really want some sort of hi-def collection of the games so that I can play them all. Scummvm refuses to work for me for Monkey 3 and I even tried DOSbox to no avail. But I loved the first two and I really would like to see more.

Uhm... you don't need ScummVM or DOSBox for Monkey Island 3. It's a Windows 98 game...

It works for me in Windows 7 using a custom installer you can find online, granted you own the game.

ScummVM only works for the first two games in the series and it's pretty much a DOSBox that's more specifically designed for the first two Monkey Island games.

Monkey Island 3 is a Windows game so it should work. Give it a try.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Well, I tried to get it to work on my computer by itself at first, but yeah, I didn't own it. It supposedly does work with ScummVM and DOS, though. I've seen a number of people claiming the same. So, I don't know. I still want a Monkey Island collection, though.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

decided to go trough all monkey island games once more... currently at escape from monkey island (MI4, the one with no mouse support)

i love these games, tho MI4 is seriously weak link... but it still has its charms :D

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

decided to go trough all monkey island games once more... currently at escape from monkey island (MI4, the one with no mouse support)

i love these games, tho MI4 is seriously weak link... but it still has its charms :D

Yeah, MI4 is the weakest one I agree.

MI4 plus, however, is the variety of locations- i mean you got not one, but 4 islands to fully explore

also, i found Toothrot regaining memory quite.. amusing

plus, puzzles are quite hard at times

so yeah, i still say its weakest, but its mostly due to storyline continuity itself (+few changes in voice actors irritated me) and the fact that you had to use keyboard only

Ah yes, Monkey Island! My favourite adventure game series! If I were to pick a favourite out of the series, I'd have to say LeChuck's Revenge (with Escape being the one I don't like).