WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO ADVENTURE GAMES?

What in the name of christ happened to Adventure Games? Ive always been fascinated by their puzzles and attention to story that most genre's cant match.I find it stupid that something like Call of duty of Halo Gets more sales then something like Grim Fandago. Now obviously there are still adventure games out there like walking dead the game.But other than that we haven't seen any "mainstream" Adventure games in a while and i miss it.

Post some thoughts below.

Hmm, you could argue one thing though, adventure games has always been a bit of a niche and always fell under the shadows of action games. Back in the 90's, while we did have great adventure titles, most people did play Doom and Quake, just like how Call of Duty and Halo are those equivalents today. It just comes down to what you prefer I think and there are still great adventure games out there, like the ones you mentioned.

I don't think adventure games have ever really sold in high numbers, or at least as high numbers as arcade games or action games. That's just the way it's always gonna be.

And it's funny that you mention Grim Fandango because while the game was received really well critically and has become a cult classic, it did not sell well when it came out. In fact, the low sales lead to the closure of Lucas Arts' adventure game division and lead them to focus on action games instead because that was just the lucrative option so I have no idea what you mean by implying Grim Fandango was any kind of success...

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

TellTale has been doing a decent job of trying to revive the genre and their Walking Dead game got a ton of critical appeal. I'd love to see what they'd do with the Doctor Who license.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

There are a TON of graphic adventure games, many coming out every year. Mainstream gaming media almost never covers them now unless they're cross platform, like Walking Dead. Most graphic adventure games don't have tons of money to throw around, thus they don't get the same (or any) coverage in a lot of places. Blame game journalism being on the take, not the genre.

Here's a good source on new ones that come out:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/

Check the new releases and you see there's about half a dozen coming out every month.

i agree- there are still tons of great adveture games.

my favourite is definetly Monkey island series, with latest addition (Tales of Monkey island by Telltale games) game out in 2009+ remakes of Curse of Monkey island (aka MI1) and Monkey island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, which were released in 2011. and its creator, Ron Gilbert said he will try to make new one, despite Disney (*hiss*) closing down LucasArts..

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Adventure is OK for most younger people, but after a certain point, killing something releases a lot more stress than anything else.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

my favourite is definetly Monkey island series, with latest addition (Tales of Monkey island by Telltale games) game out in 2009+ remakes of Curse of Monkey island (aka MI1) and Monkey island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, which were released in 2011. and its creator, Ron Gilbert said he will try to make new one, despite Disney (*hiss*) closing down LucasArts..

I also heard he's going to completely retcon everything after MI2, which is a shame given how good CoMI was.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

I also heard he's going to completely retcon everything after MI2, which is a shame given how good CoMI was.

not to mention it was where Murray was introduced D:

and also while it was true that escape from monkey island was much weaker than rest of MI titles, i truly enjoyed tales of monkey island. tbh, i doubt that Ron Gilbert would do that though, as it would mean considerable loss of fans, especially newest ones- the ones who got into series with tales of MI (i can proudly say i got into MI with LeChuck's Revenge). Also i think despite what he says, he also apparently likes how things panned out within storyline, with exception of MI4.

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

There was a more recent adventure game that came out like a year or two ago on steam called Deponia that was pretty amusing. It's kinda like a more cynical steampunk version of Monkey Island. It even has a sequel out, with another sequel coming eventually?

The story is basically just the plot to that Elysium movie that came out recently, but it's a comedy instead. A lot of the humour comes from the main character being a selfish and terrible person, so it might have kinda the same appeal as FM has for some of you out there. Maybe.

I recall enjoying pretty well, at least, although it's not really the hardest adventure game out there.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

Give me ANY good tittle after they took down Lucas Arts, come on, surprise me.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

Give me ANY good tittle after they took down Lucas Arts, come on, surprise me.

C16IbSH.png

the name's riley

I wonder what happened to the genre as a whole? did it evolve, did it devolve, was it devoured by something else? what could have ended the term Adventure as a genre in video games ...........................:/

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

I wonder what happened to the genre as a whole? did it evolve, did it devolve, was it devoured by something else? what could have ended the term Adventure as a genre in video games ...........................:/

It changed into this: http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Adventure/

Yeah Adventure games have kind of faded out of the mainstream, but there are some good ones still being released if you look hard enough.

They faded out because it's basically a lot of walking in between puzzles in a 3D setting... Most people get bored with that really quick. When you add just a little combat to spruce things up, it ceases to be an "adventure" game. (they call it RPG/FPS/TPS if there is any form of player controlled combat at all)