ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: MAABUS

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Here's the latest Game Dungeon! Aside from how long it ended up taking, I'm generally quite happy with how this one came out; this is another episode that's exactly the sort of thing I'm aiming for with the show. I think the only big shortcoming was that it could have had more music, but picking out the right tracks is the sort of thing I practically agonize over for some videos, plus this game was pretty heavy handed with its atmosphere sounds.

Anyway, the next Game Dungeon will very likely be the follow-up episode. I've gotten some work underway on that, but ended up having to stall it due to some additional stuff being added. More stuff soon!

COMMENTS

After digging around a bit, I found the 6 year old who took home your fourth award. His name is Robin Rowland and apparently he's a.. uh, professional writer: http://robinrowland.com/garret/2008/02/my-microcareer-in-videogames.html

There's no mention of his age but judging by that photo, he was probably a bit older than 6 when he wrote the scenario for Maabus. That, or his mother was a heavy smoker.

Perfect episode. You really outdid yourself.

I swear I read a mocking review of this game long ago on something like Oldmanmurray or Seanbaby, but google's coming up blank.

It might have been appropriate to mention Axe Cop. Heck, I'd like to see more professional content inspired by children or at least childlike ideas. Stuff like Monsters and Other Childish Things. As it is we have most professional content being dumbed down for children.

You know, in this era of everyone being a content creator, it's almost come back to a point where MOST games are destined to be obscure.

After digging around a bit, I found the 6 year old who took home your fourth award. His name is Robin Rowland and apparently he's a.. uh, professional writer: http://robinrowland.com/garret/2008/02/my-microcareer-in-videogames.html

There's no mention of his age but judging by that photo, he was probably a bit older than 6 when he wrote the scenario for Maabus. That, or his mother was a heavy smoker.

I remember that trailer! That was in an old forum thread I used to read!

Perfect episode. You really outdid yourself.

I swear I read a mocking review of this game long ago on something like Oldmanmurray or Seanbaby, but google's coming up blank.

Were you perhaps thinking of Disaster Labs?

http://web.archive.org/web/20040504232747/http://www.disasterlabs.com/index.php?sec=cheese&che=maabus

The site made a name for itself with the Arfenhouse series but it also had content for normal people. Alas, it's dead. But the Hall of Gaming Cheese has many games that'd be perfect for Ross. Return to Zork in particular sounds right up his alley.

Were you perhaps thinking of Disaster Labs?

http://web.archive.org/web/20040504232747/http://www.disasterlabs.com/index.php?sec=cheese&che=maabus

The site made a name for itself with the Arfenhouse series but it also had content for normal people. Alas, it's dead. But the Hall of Gaming Cheese has many games that'd be perfect for Ross. Return to Zork in particular sounds right up his alley.

That's it!

I must have wandered into that after watching Arfenhouse 2. I'm very much the kind of person to follow links to homepages and look up references.

Being like that is actually the reason I even found out about Ross. Back when Freeman's mind appeared to be abandoned, I googled Accursed Farms and then found out the rest of the story. Now I buy Ross a can beans every month. Curses.

Incidentally, the Disaster Labs review DOES describe the ending. So I guess it was documented, then the document was lost except for the web archive. What a strange era we live in.

"Ziltoid rocks? What does that mean? Ah. I'll give this a listen."

I just looked up the game's trailer cause I vaguely remember seeing it before and my god, this is the most 90's-tastic thing I've seen in a while :D

i633LLohUOc

So, you're reliant on random chance to survive and even play a slot machine when you quit? Maybe you're Maabus. Maabus the Gambler.

...I'll show myself out now.

With the HUD and the puzzles, this seems kind of like it was a crappy Iron Helix ripoff.

Great episode as always, Ross!

This game is way too confusing and strange for my taste, though.

You know, I'm thinking about creating a technology company whose name would make people think about winding roads, technology and all the "E" online mambo-jumbo. It should be called: "Path-E-Tech".

disaster labs? i haven't heard that name in a while

World's largest wildfire is happening right now in Montana.

Try "The Daedalus Encounter" for an example of what this kind of ultra-90's, "you're-an-ROV-pilot-investigating-mysterious-aliens" FMV game can be like when the designers actually put some damned effort into its script and puzzles, and even come up with a decent, possibly even original excuse for why you're having to interact with the world via a flimsy ROV with incredibly crude controls in the first place.  Oh, and I think Ross might just like the soundtrack too.

Uh, that's if you can cope with a grisly, show-the-literal-flesh-to-technology-grafts-inside-your-own-brain cyberpunk player interface that looks like THIS, but Ross has played Phantasmagoria, so I'm sure he'll be fine:

Daedalus.jpg

The game's still a 1995 FMV, so inherently limited, but it's got very high production values and the designers were clearly pushing right up against the boundaries of the medium.  Yes, that's Tia Carrere; apparently she really loves sci-fi and had a blast making it.

Edited by Tom (see edit history)