Minecraft

Sign in to follow this  

This thread is totally devoted to discussing Minecraft, I believe it is the most awesome game to come out in a long time.

Survival tips etc and general discussion of Minecraft is wanted in this thread.

It is quite fun. In multiplayer I can indulge in my lust to construct giant looming pyramids that tower over the surrounding landscape.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Haven't played it, but I have seen it. Looks kinda oldschool to me, and that's always a plus in my book.

It is quite the retro-looking game, and the best thing is it doesn't count against it at all. I've never felt it needed to have superior graphics, the ones it has give it its own sense of charm, and are also perfectly adequate at representing the game itself.

Give me some reasons to play minecraft over let's say... Garry's Mod or even Half-life Multiplayer Sandbox... or maybe SvenCoop

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Give me some reasons to play minecraft over a combo of let's say, playing with the valve hammer editor to make a world in first person 3d, using fl studio for making professional music and SimCity or Runescape for making my own world and I might try it.

Well, I could put it this way, why would you play Garry's Mod?

Minecraft is very simply sandbox game world, where your purpose is simply to mine and build things. It's only limited as far as your imagination is concerned. As for using Valve's Hammer editor instead of Minecraft...they're not the same thing, I wouldn't compare them.

Music creation for Minecraft is hardly a main part of the game, it's a side thing you can do where you have to build blocks that make notes. Again, you cannot really compare this to flstudio.

Finally, Sim City is a top-down management game. Whilst you can shape the world around you, it's nothing like how things work in Minecraft.

I cannot comment on Runescape as I have not played it, I only know it to be a top-down browser-based MMORPG.

Does this help?

Give me some reasons to play minecraft over a combo of let's say, playing with the valve hammer editor to make a world in first person 3d, using fl studio for making professional music and SimCity or Runescape for making my own world and I might try it.

Well, I could put it this way, why would you play Garry's Mod?

Minecraft is very simply sandbox game world, where your purpose is simply to mine and build things. It's only limited as far as your imagination is concerned. As for using Valve's Hammer editor instead of Minecraft...they're not the same thing, I wouldn't compare them.

Music creation for Minecraft is hardly a main part of the game, it's a side thing you can do where you have to build blocks that make notes. Again, you cannot really compare this to flstudio.

Finally, Sim City is a top-down management game. Whilst you can shape the world around you, it's nothing like how things work in Minecraft.

I cannot comment on Runescape as I have not played it, I only know it to be a top-down browser-based MMORPG.

Does this help?

Sorry, I reformed my question indeed.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Haven't played it, but I have seen it. Looks kinda oldschool to me, and that's always a plus in my book.

Me to

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

Seriously, at first I didn't even know why Minecraft was so amazing, I've played similar sounding games to it but when you actually play the game... It's nothing like anything else on the market. Watch Yogscast on Youtube if you want to see some of the awesome things you can do.

One of the great things about Minecraft is that it is a limitless world with so many things to see and do, so many places you can explore ( not only above the ground, but also below).

Then there is Multiplayer, which is an almost totally different style of gameplay compared to SP. I'm not talking different game modes ( cpature the Flag etc.) I'm talking about how your mindset totally changes when you get into the MP side of things. Currently I manage the large town of Residaemia with my friend and about 10 townspeople. We have fought off thieves and monsters and built huge constructions so that we may become known throughout the server.

If you haven't played it then buy it. You have 30 days to try it out so you can see how good it is, I cannot recommend this game enough to people bored with the endless stream of repetitive games and recycled ideas.

P.S Anyone notice the Portal reference in Minecraft? I wasn't sure whether to laugh or sigh...

I lulzed just a little bit.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No no, you should post your new question in a new post, not edit the old one to change its content like that, as it just makes things confusing for people reading the thread if they haven't quoted the original post (which I fortunately have in this case).

Anyway, Garry's Mod easily wins out in terms of modability, but that's not really something which should be compared here as Minecraft isn't about different gamemodes and addons.

So I'll instead draw comparisons at the basics. With Garry's Mod you can construct contraptions and things that do things in the map, but the map/world itself is static. Minecraft's world is not; there are dynamically spawning NPCs, random tree placement, biomes, recently added weather, etc. In addition the world itself is of infinite size (well relatively, provided your system resources can handle it if you went for an insane distance). With Garry's Mod you spawn what you need as you want to build it. With Minecraft you have to work for your creations. You have to mine the resources to build the tools to mine further resources to construct what you wish (such as a dwelling to sleep the night).

Furthermore, along with standard harmless NPCs, at night monsters come. You can fight them, or you can hide and wait for daylight (although these can be turned off by changing the difficulty if you wish to build in peace at night).

Garry's Mod wins out in terms of physics, but Minecraft's retro style make highly realistic physics generally unnecessary. Creations for Garry's Mod can be much more complex than Minecraft's due to its physics and also due to the fact that Minecraft is limited by its block based gameplay when compared to Garry's Mod, however in general I would say that Minecraft's block nature it not really a limitation once you've experienced it. It's part of what makes the game nice.

Anyway, it occurs to me that there's rather a lot to compare, is there anything in particular you want compared?

EDIT:

It would seem there is now a demo. You can make infinite new worlds, but can only spend a maximum of 90 minutes on each one before it locks.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/19/download-the-minecraft-demo/

http://dl.pcgamer.com/minecraft_pcgdemo.exe

No no, you should post your new question in a new post, not edit the old one to change its content like that, as it just makes things confusing for people reading the thread if they haven't quoted the original post (which I fortunately have in this case).

Anyway, Garry's Mod easily wins out in terms of modability, but that's not really something which should be compared here as Minecraft isn't about different gamemodes and addons.

So I'll instead draw comparisons at the basics. With Garry's Mod you can construct contraptions and things that do things in the map, but the map/world itself is static. Minecraft's world is not; there are dynamically spawning NPCs, random tree placement, biomes, recently added weather, etc. In addition the world itself is of infinite size (well relatively, provided your system resources can handle it if you went for an insane distance). With Garry's Mod you spawn what you need as you want to build it. With Minecraft you have to work for your creations. You have to mine the resources to build the tools to mine further resources to construct what you wish (such as a dwelling to sleep the night).

Furthermore, along with standard harmless NPCs, at night monsters come. You can fight them, or you can hide and wait for daylight (although these can be turned off by changing the difficulty if you wish to build in peace at night).

Garry's Mod wins out in terms of physics, but Minecraft's retro style make highly realistic physics generally unnecessary. Creations for Garry's Mod can be much more complex than Minecraft's due to its physics and also due to the fact that Minecraft is limited by its block based gameplay when compared to Garry's Mod, however in general I would say that Minecraft's block nature it not really a limitation once you've experienced it. It's part of what makes the game nice.

Anyway, it occurs to me that there's rather a lot to compare, is there anything in particular you want compared?

EDIT:

It would seem there is now a demo. You can make infinite new worlds, but can only spend a maximum of 90 minutes on each one before it locks.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/19/download-the-minecraft-demo/

http://dl.pcgamer.com/minecraft_pcgdemo.exe

Thanks for that response, oh and actually I changed the question while You were typing the answer because I didn't see Your response yet when I finished... sorry about that anyways.