Will Half Life 3 Be As Successful As It's Predecessors?

Sign in to follow this  

Last I checked, a valve rep said they were dropping the episodic format. Don't remember when that was though.

But they have to finish the story of EP 1/2 and doing that in HL3 would be kind of weird.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

maybe...in my experience the sequel is almost never as good as the original.

Did you ever play Half Life 2? :? Some might disagree when I say it's better than HL1, but I think most would agree that it's at least *as* good.

The feeling won't be the same even if the game is in the same style. Unless there is a way to improve the style of half-life and there is no way to really improve the style of half-life... This is why most sequels are worse, because we always expect them to be better than that feeling when we first saw a new style, and it's not possible people :P.

You would have to create a whole new style to make another classic and we both know that is utterly out of the question for Valve.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

there is no way to really improve the style of half-life...

Tell that to the Valve designers, man. I think they could take any franchise and make it better with the next installment. HL2 was better than HL1. Ep1 was better (in substance) than HL2, and HL2 Ep2 was better than Ep1. They're going to be fine.

The feeling won't be the same even if the game is in the same style. Unless there is a way to improve the style of half-life and there is no way to really improve the style of half-life... This is why most sequels are worse, because we always expect them to be better than that feeling when we first saw a new style, and it's not possible people :P.

You would have to create a whole new style to make another classic and we both know that is utterly out of the question for Valve.

It is a sequel after all. But honestly why i think most sequels fail is because most developers think that a sequel is simply more of the same. Which it is not.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Undeniable proof it will be a sucess:

IIPS42pXfvU

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

I think it depends on how long they sit on it after announcing it (if they announce it). I fear that if it sits for too long, it might end up like Duke Nukem Forever. Of course, different studios and whatnot, so maybe Valve could create a game that lives up to the fan's expectations (especially fans like Alyxx who only want it to have a crowbar :P).