Ross's game preferences

Sign in to follow this  

Wondering if your into Online Rpgs..

Cuz if you are...Guild Wars or World of Warcraft?

Honest question cuz there is a lot of... rivalry between them..

I prefer guild wars to WoW cuz WoW is just too... time consuming I mean I would play WoW if it were free but i don't wanna play soo much money just to fall behind on school work

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

Supreme commander is so much fun, but it has one of the largest learning curves of any rts. There is some insane micro in that game, but when you get into it it can be so much fun. The fun factor can be described with one word: experimentals. The sequel was fun, but it was a million times easier.

Action RPGs in general (though I have difficulty getting into Bethesda's stuff)

Why Ross.... WHHHHHYYYY

Action RPGs are good stuff. Well, Actually I hate Bethesda for ruined Fallout 3. One game they did well was Morrowind, but the Oblivion was dumb as I don't know. I bet you know some Obsidian's games, Ross. They're doing good job on writing and creating deep characters (Like in Planescape:Torment or Kotor2 or Alpha Protocol) Even now Im sure in these games voice acting was the best.

It's good to see you're going to play the Witcher - It's a very good game. I bet you'll enjoy it

And Penumbra! -Yay! That's piece of good game.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

See, I liked Fallout 3.

I don't see how it was "ruined".

I guess in that it wasn't like the first two, but then again, I didn't really like the first two anyway.

They really haven't aged well, and when playing, I just didn't get into the world of it.

Fallout 3 was a lot more immersive to me.

But then again, this is all just opinion, so...

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

I love Fallout 3 because it's different from the other games while still maintaining that post-apocalyptic and retro atmosphere. And I love how it puts you in the shoes of the protagonist instead of putting you above him/her like in the earlier games. While Bethesda went with some design choices I don't agree with, overall they definitely didn't ruin the franchise.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I think Ross would love Homefront. The story ( IMO ) is something that he's really interested in, even though it is an FPS.... I'm just going to post some info in case he see's this post.

Homefront is set in a near future America in 2027 when a nuclear-armed Korean People's Army invades the USA. The game is written by John Milius, who co-wrote Apocalypse Now and wrote Red Dawn. The beginning gameplay is reportedly set in Montrose, Colorado.

One of the major portions of the story arc is built around not only the growth of the North Korean forces over the years leading to the year 2027 (the year in which the game takes place), but also the economic downfall of the United States of America, and the unrest that seems to grip the nation before the invasion.

Homefront is speculative fiction, set in a near-future, post peak oil world that features a significantly declined United States, and a united Korea that has built a massive alliance in East Asia. The Gate Corporation (a major private military company) also plays a minor role. The game focuses on the collapse of the United States, subsequent occupation by the Greater Korean Republic - a united Korea under the rule of North Korea - and the American Resistance that fights said occupation. The player is invited to join the American resistance, "using guerrilla tactics, commandeering military vehicles, and utilizing advanced drone technology", but the player may join the North Korean Forces as well but only in multiplayer matches. The game will also feature vehicle based 32 player online warfare using dedicated servers. The game is planned to ship on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC on March 11

Srake: I generally don't touch MMOs or any game with a subscription fee. While I appreciate the idea of an enormous RPG world to do things in, it feels hollow to me without some sort of cohesive story to it. You don't really "beat" WoW, Everquest, Guild Wars, etc.

thedude190: Give me a break, there are way more complicated RTSs out there. That's one of the reason I haven't been able to get too far into Homeworld. As for micromanagement, I definitely disagree. Considering the scale you're dealing with, the micromanagement is great. Your units will fire while moving, attack on their own, you can give them coordinated attack orders, you can tell unit buildings to "loop" so can forget about them. I've found the micromanagement on that game more forgiving than most RTSs I've played. The only thing I thought it needed there was an "autofix" for the engineer units.

Axeldeath: I played Gothic before I played Morrowind and later Oblivion, which maybe spoiled me. It's difficult to put my finger on it, but the whole world felt kind of hollow. They use the same few voice actors for everyone, no one sounded especially emotive or like your presence there really made much of a difference, cities felt kind of deserted, there were too many copy-paste areas, I didn't get a distinct feel for characters or places. I think the game didn't really engage me on any intellectual level and the art direction didn't feel interesting enough for me to get into. Fallout 3 was better, but it started feeling hollow the longer I played it for similar reasons. In general their games to me feel like sandbox games with 1000 small quests you can take rather than a cohesive storyline and RPG experience. Their games are technical marvels though, an immense amount of work has gone into these.

You could try Kingdom Hearts I and II,they are both action based rpg that mix Final Fantasy characters with disney characters (wtf?) and it actually works (WTF???!!!),i know it have all that childish stuff disney have but it also have some deeper stuff (so many subliminal messages ) ,the gameplay is decent,you have the regular attack combos but you can combine them with magic attacks and special attacks,the story isnt bad,the voice actors' voices are quite remarkable (they changed the voice actors between the games but both are good),it doesnt have very realistic graphics because a realistic goofy would look even more...goofy but in a weird way.

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

ur profile fits perfectly the one of an Unreal Tournament 2007 addict, Ross....

[82nd] Mr. Kochi Bracegirlde: You just blow that fife

[82nd] Mr. Kochi Bracegirlde: the 'if ye know what i mean' aside

Hooper: want to give your men a fast reload? BLOW ME FIRST

For an action RPG that you may like is Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, the first in the series that is based around the Chernobyl incident. Involves mutants, scavengers, people generally trying to make a new life within the catastrophe area. I would highly recommend you get mods with it as the game looks pretty dated so you should either go with Stalker: Redux or Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl: Complete.

The game itself has a really immersive atmosphere, it just gives it a specific feel that no other game I played really has. The game has two sequels, Stalker: Clear Sky and Stalker: Call of Pripyat. Call of Pripyat is proposed to be the better of the two as it has some better gameplay and feel than that of Clear Sky.

The STALKER games are among my all time favourite games.

I don't think STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl looks that dated without any mods. Complete does beautify it though, I'll have to admit that.

Just realised I forgot to suggest an under-appreciated FPS known as Metro 2033. I enjoyed this game a lot, and has oodles of atmosphere. It's set in post-apocalyptic Moscow, or rather in the tunnels under it (the surface is uninhabitable, but this does not mean you do not go there). It also has some very neat gameplay elements that I found pretty cool, like the gas mask, and the fact that you have to charge your own torch when it runs out of battery (which can be really unfortunate in the middle of a dark tunnel with mutants closing in. ).

Anyway, I'm hesitant to say too much more about this game for fear of spoilers, all I can really say is that I enjoyed it a lot.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I have really wanted to pick it up, but I find the checkpoint-only save system very off putting. The game is a bargain purchase nowadays so I probably have no excuse to complain any more.

I have really wanted to pick it up, but I find the checkpoint-only save system very off putting. The game is a bargain purchase nowadays so I probably have no excuse to complain any more.

I actually found the checkpoint system worked rather well, it helped to greatly increase the tension when playing.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

The balance between tension and aggravation is very sensitive. If a game is just a bit too difficult people will find themselves forced to repeat the same difficult section over and over again until muscle memory kicks in. There is nothing tense or immersive about that. . .

I havent played metro 2033 but unless its crawling with monsters that are 1-hit kill, lots of deadly and unpredictable traps and the checkpoint are hard to reach then i guess it wont be a big problem

I hate unpredictable traps.

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

Judging form the last Civil Protection episode, Ross probably fond of ''Clive Barker's Undying'' (Howler cries in the tunnel). One of my favorite FPS-horror games. I'd highly recommend it for anyone who seeking a good, REALLY good written game. It has deep and mystery atmosphere, decent gameplay and a lot of freaking scary stuff. Some people can be disappointed by graphics, though (game was released in 2001). So, if you are a Crysis fan - move along. Nothing see here.