Duplicate threads and de-railing threads

I thought I'd post about duplicate threads. Basically, a thread is only considered duplicate if it's about the same thing. For example: "The Big Bear Thread", a thread for all kinds of bears, then a thread called "The Bear Thread". If they're both for the same thing (assuming the big bear thread isn't just limited to big bears...) then that's a duplicate. If however someone makes a thread about Portal 2, and then someone else makes a thread about Wheatley, that's not a duplicate. It's merely related.

Just because a thread is related to another, doesn't mean it's a duplicate. Posting in a thread about one thing (to take an active example, the MLP thread) asking for peoples oppinions on something isn't as likely to get a response as posting a new thread. This isn't me encouraging you to post more threads, only if you feel it's neccisarry. So threads about a certain topic don't have to all be combined into one super thread.

De-railing a thread usually comes about when someone posts an off-topic post (yes... it's that again) in a thread. For example someone posting about milk in a thread about cucumbers. That's considered an off-topic post. After one off-topic post, that starts a chain reaction where other people reply to it saying "omg off-topic" or "wait, what?". If someone posts something off-topic in a thread, don't encourage them. Just report it or ignore it. If you do reply, make sure you say something on-topic or your post is still breaking the rules.

I've stuck this into the free for all forum because this is where these problems occur the most. There's not really any point in making it global.

Yeah this was becoming a big problem, especially with that BTG guy. Were you the one that changed his name back btw?

Also, posting a thread for a peace treaty against this whole Bronies Vs. Anti-Bronies stuff, does that count as a duplicate thread?

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Yeah this was becoming a big problem, especially with that BTB guy. Were you the one that changed his name back btw?

Also, posting a thread for a peace treaty against this whole Bronies Vs. Anti-Bronies stuff, does that count as a duplicate thread?

Unless there already is one, no.

Yeah this was becoming a big problem, especially with that BTB guy. Were you the one that changed his name back btw?

As stated, it would be related, but not a duplicate.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

digression notice: i'm assuming that "accursed queen" headline is for admins and mods..

digression notice: i'm assuming that "accursed queen" headline is for admins and mods..

Love going off-topic on a thread that says not to! It's a custom title. Look at mine, I'm an admin and mine is "Wait, what?". Soon anyone will be able to set them.

Love going off-topic on a thread that says not to! It's a custom title. Look at mine, I'm an admin and mine is "Wait, what?". Soon anyone will be able to set them.

Urrghh.... Lateral has had them for 2 years.

Hi Friend.

Stop posting about that now, but a lot of forums have. vBulletin has built-in functionallity to allow for that. At some point I'll add it to this forum, that's all I've said.

Stop posting about that now, but a lot of forums have. vBulletin has built-in functionallity to allow for that. At some point I'll add it to this forum, that's all I've said.

I didn't mean to sound rude, sorry. I said that wrong, should have accompanied it with a smilie.

Hi Friend.

Stop spamming the topic please people or I'll have to start deleting posts. I'm pretty sure the only reason this topic is still open is for the clarification of just what counts as a duplicate topic in certain situations.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

The thread said post 'your' youtube videos. I didn't know it was just random vids. Im not fucking perfect you guys. Gotta make a damn mistake every five seconds, and some people can't accept that. -__-

The thread said post 'your' youtube videos. I didn't know it was just random vids. Im not fucking perfect you guys. Gotta make a damn mistake every five seconds, and some people can't accept that. -__-

Nobody penalised you! The thread was closed, the other thread was pointed out, and no warnings or insults were dished out etc. Chill! :)

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Is there a way to take off the sticky status. It's a minor grievance but my OCD doesn't like the grey circles at the top of my screen where the orange ones should be.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

Is there a way to take off the sticky status. It's a minor grievance but my OCD doesn't like the grey circles at the top of my screen where the orange ones should be.

The topics are stickied so that they are always available on the first page instead of being buried by all the other topics. This is very standard forum practice, especially for common or important topics.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com