9/11: Ten Years Later

Sign in to follow this  

Quoting and responding to all 3 of you would result in a large wall of text, I'll do this twitter style:

@Doom Shepherd: Terrorist organisations such as AQ take issue with the power and economic influences of western countries in the countries that they live in.

Well, that's what they SAY, to try and legitimize themselves. I don't happen to believe them. I think, like MOST revolutionaries throughout history, what they really want is to put themselves in charge of doing the oppressing and looting and stealing and killing the people, rather than to put an END to it. (The "Arab Spring," though I have my doubts about it, seems to be a far more legitimate uprising for "real" change than the terrorists could ever hope to be.)

It's shameful how much of the oil and money that is or could be made there is in Western hands: even in Libya, in the middle of a war, western countries are lobbying for oil contracts. I think our countries could do more to help countries in the Middle-East to be less dependent on them, but economical and political power is still an important factor in western politics concerning this.

You have to keep in mind, though, that outside of oil, none of these countries really have anything that anybody would WANT to give them money for. Actually, a considerable amount of oil money IS in the hands of Middle-Easterners, but the problem is that it's generally in the hands of a very few families (Saudi Arabia) who have no interest in sharing, or the hands of some suck-a$$ warlord (Libya, etc.) who uses it to maintain his stranglehold over the people by keeping control over his army.

(Same sort of thing happened in Ethiopia back in the 80's - Remember "We are the World?" most of the food that benevolent Westerners shipped there was intercepted and appropriated by the Communist government, which kept it from the rebellious, starving people in the south where the famine was and gave it out to their own troops as surplus.)

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

@Michael Archer: I am dissapointed that you so easily dismiss the suggestion of a peaceful, two-sided solution to the conflict, and you are quick to condemn all of the people there.

Both Bush and Obama tried appeasement, but it's failed.

The reason for this is the same reason that there's no compromise between food and poison; it's one, or the other. America is suffering from the same problem as Israel: America and Israel simply want to exist peacefully and the Islamic world won't rest until Sharia law is imposed around the globe.

As you can see, this is going to get ugly.

I would be interested to hear some of your arguments for this, because I hope you have some: you shouldn't suggest to kill so many people so easily. I also hope you are willing to try to understand terrorism, because they actually do have reasons for this, just as I hope you have your reasons for wanting to bomb thousands of civilians. I still find it hard to see the difference, so I'll do my best to understand that as well.

I'm suggesting killing the people responsible for intimating war on the Western world. I'm suggesting we exact justice and secure our future safety.

Their reasons are that they hate Western culture; they hate the good for being good.

Western countries have not always been very nice to the Middle-East, and because terrorists wanted to fight back, but knew that they couldn't win an ordinary war, they rightified (that doesn't sound as if it's a real word...) their killing civilians (which the Quran prohibits) by saying that American civilians had the power to stop the actions of their government, but didn't, and were therefore also responsible.

I don't know what you mean by "not very nice to the Middle-East". Do you mean like the Gulf War? If so, Iraq was a dictatorship and therefore, had no right to exist. They do not have a claim against another country mistreating them if they find it acceptable to mistreat their own people.

I remember Osama bin Laden quoting parts of the Quran to justify the attacks. There's a passage that says something along the lines of "Fight the Unbelievers."

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 75 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.