Other Characters in FM

Sign in to follow this  

"We owe a great deal to Dr. Freeman, although trouble does tend to follow in his wake." --Dr. Kleiner
Exactly.

Characters like Judith Mossman and Breen probably weren't so patient with Gordon because he's never done anything for them, as opposed to a character like Magnusson who hated Gordon at first, but then has to eat his words when Gordon successfully defends his rocket.

"Am I a hero? Eh, I don't know... I don't think it's heroic if the only person you're saving is yourself."

- Gordon Freeman

I imagine someone else might want to take up the mantle of Freeman's Mind 2.

Personally I would imagine him with a very different personality, but it would probably be very different.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

I think it was mostly meant because Freemans kinda've an asshole, but it CAN be seen as teasing amongst friends. Though given Freeman's attitude he probably doesn't give two shits about Eli, Kleiner or Barney. Of course this is all subject to change by the powers of Ross Scott if he so chose. Though one thing that caught my interest was during Decay, the guy in the wheelchair (his name escapes me) says something along the lines of, "Dr. Freeman is running late...again. I don't know what Kleiner sees in that boy." Which, in the mindset of Freeman's Mind I've always taken it as Freeman is a giant asshole but Kleiner sees *something* special in him. Though really when the game came out it obviously wasn't meant that way.

Do you mean Keller?

\m/ (^_^) \m/

Rock on.

O/

/|

/ \ This is Bob. Copy and paste Bob and soon he will take over internetz!

I feel if he were to do HL2, his required acknowledgement of those characters would be similar to Obi-Wan's failure to recognize R2-D2 or C3PO.

I feel if he were to do HL2, his required acknowledgement of those characters would be similar to Obi-Wan's failure to recognize R2-D2 or C3PO.
Please elaborate.

"Am I a hero? Eh, I don't know... I don't think it's heroic if the only person you're saving is yourself."

- Gordon Freeman

It's like an inverse scenario of it, but he doesn't recognize some of the characters now, then he recognizes them in HL2.

If he recognizes them now, then why didn't he before?

Well, it's like I said earlier, it's not necessarily the fact that he doesn't recognize these characters. The only acknowledgement Ross' Freeman has to Barney is "Looks like I'm not the only one who's late....SUCKER!" When he meets Eli and Kleiner (the two scientists outside the test chamber who say that the equipment "wasn't meant to do this in the first place"--according to Valve) in Episode 3, he barely acknowledges them, more focused the exploding mainframe. When he returns to them in Episode 4, he's dizzy from the elevator but he does speak about them cordially ("Hey-hey, we really fucked up this time, huh?") and likes that Eli is offering to help. When the headcrab teleports into the tube, he 'shouts' "Hey, I told you all I'm not crazy".

It's possible that, not even referencing any of them by name, just proves Ross' Freeman's narcissism, but it doesn't mean that he doesn't know them or recognize them. He's too good for friends at work. He's practically royalty, y'know.

Later in HL2, Barney takes off the Combine mask and says, "It's me, Gordon. Barney, from Black Mesa." Gordon would say something like, "Yeah, I knew it was you. Can never forget that stink, even through that armor." ;)

The impression I'm getting now is that Freeman also don't know who Breen is. I'm pretty sure he said in the episode where he's fighting 'the shark' that he doesn't know who's in charge of the company. However, Alyx seem to think that he does know Breen in HL2.

COURIER'S MIND: RISE OF NEW VEGAS

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2181

http://www.youtube.com/user/101Phase?feature=mhee

SEASON 5 WILL AIR IN SUMMER 2013!

I'm just wondering, since when was FM canon? Is it suddenly considered part of the official HL universe at all?

From what I gather, most of this is made up by Ross Scott and has little relation to the HL2 story.

Nah I don't think any of us are saying it's canon. It would be cool if it is though :D

COURIER'S MIND: RISE OF NEW VEGAS

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2181

http://www.youtube.com/user/101Phase?feature=mhee

SEASON 5 WILL AIR IN SUMMER 2013!

Wasn't Ross originally planning on doing FM in HL2?

I dunno, personally, I'd love to see FM in HL2 and it's eps. Ross is hilarious and I think he could make it work.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

i see that happening one of two ways in a way that could work out for one of 3 of us, Ross could just decide to not jump in the portal thereby saying to the audience i'm done. he could kill Gordon off, but we both know that Ross isn't the type to just up and screw his watchers, or Ross could just be like challenge accepted and resume the series into HL2. i can see an interesting plot angle being that the 20 years wasn't instant, he was awake for it all. (imagine such a hell, eugh.)

Ross may or may not take FM into HL2 but Ross is a smart guy. As far as I can tell, he knows not to "screw" his watchers as well as not get too indulgent as FM seems to be more popular than CP. I do hope HL2 gets a 'Ross treatment' but who knows? Nearing the end of HL in the world of FM perhaps there'll be a poll of 'Should FM continue into HL2?' to which the answer will be a resounding YES. The poll would just serve to cement the idea that it will be watched. No one would, or should, deny that CP is great too. But even if FM just serves as an interim for other labors of love by Ross I will still enjoy them as long as they are done with care as he's so wonderfully done so far.

Don't let the stinky pinky out.

STINKY PINKY!! (you had to do it didn't you?)

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Does my beard intimidate you?"

The impression I'm getting now is that Freeman also don't know who Breen is. I'm pretty sure he said in the episode where he's fighting 'the shark' that he doesn't know who's in charge of the company. However, Alyx seem to think that he does know Breen in HL2.

Alyx may be overestimating how much Gordon knows about Black Mesa.

Alyx: "Remember him from Black Mesa?"

Gordon: "No."

Alyx: "Your old administrator?"

Gordon: "I--

Alyx: "Don't get my dad started on Dr. Breen."

Gordon: "That's the administrator? I thought he'd be bald stroking a cat."

Alyx may be overestimating how much Gordon knows about Black Mesa.

Alyx: "Remember him from Black Mesa?"

Gordon: "No."

Alyx: "Your old administrator?"

Gordon: "I--

Alyx: "Don't get my dad started on Dr. Breen."

Gordon: "That's the administrator? I thought he'd be bald stroking a cat."

I think that freeman's raction to breen pretty much being the ruler of the earth would be: "Wait, my old boss got to be the ruler to the entire earth? What? I don't remember seeing that as a potential job benefit for his job! I know I should have made a bigger effort to climb the corporate ladder sooner."