Music frustration

Sign in to follow this  

Leo BT: No, I probably should. I'm skeptical however. While id has a great community reputation, I'm guessing they don't want to respond or give blanket permission to everyone who emails them.

KortoloB: Yeah this drives me kind of nuts, because as far as composing new music, in some cases I feel like it's re-inventing the wheel, because the music I want to use is locked up. I'm not that keen on using music that people have already heard a million times before. While I've used some more common themes, I'm more interested in good music that would likely never see the light of day again if it wasn't for the videos. I think the last CP episode, Morning Patrol, had a couple examples of those.

Katana: Well I'm not saying it's impossible, but you're probably looking at least a tenfold difference. While it may never happen, I still have the pipe dream that if I can put material out that's good enough and have it reach the right eyes, I could get enough help and resources to do a more major production of my bigger script ideas. That's not going to happen with Freeman's Mind, but I have so many other ideas I think they could turn some heads if I could ever get them made.

Denn: Possibly. If you can do heavy metal, then maybe for Civil Protection. Otherwise you'll have to wait until other series ideas I have where an acoustic guitar would fit.

Clay: Almost all the songs I use were never for sale in the first place, they were only part of the soundtrack to a game. They can't really argue lost sales if they're not selling the music to begin with.

Why not put them on Vimeo and have an "episode" on youtube that consists solely of the intro and a caption containing a link to the full episode on vimeo?

Just do what Pirate bay did, build your own country, without copyright laws on an Oil rig somewhere in the atlantic! Problem solved!

As has been pointed out, there's plenty of royalty-free music available on the web, and also there are plenty of easily accessible composers/producers who would probably jump at the chance to have their stuff placed in videos with as much exposure as yours. I know I would. Look around Soundclick and Soundcloud.

Ross Scott: Heavy Metal would pretty much be my primary style, but I can also do other types of music. The main reason I thought live guitars could help is from the current Civil Protection main theme. As for acoustic music, I'd need a better method of recording it since the only mic I currently have is a headset mic. I could handle that pretty easily though.

You're own composer? Wow I can't wait until you have you're own 'company' like the guys at rooster teeth (kinda)

Then I can say I was there from day 1 (kinda)

While I don't believe you've made any aspirations of pursuing a professional career in machinima

known I and I'm sure many other people are all for it (^Weirdest line ever)

Looking forward to "THE TUNNEL"

Oh, the very sensitive spot this music thing is... I was really hoping, that this day would never come. Now it seems, that the whole world is going crazy with these "copyright infringements". They want to strangle the Internetz... Things like the wonderful 'Digital Economy Bill'...

Ok, I really feel sorry for you, and I do understand the frustration. I really loved your music selections (still very happy about Jazz Jackrabbit 2 theme ). It's nice, if you have a composer. You could also try using sources like ccmixter.org, where all the stuff is under Creative Commons licenses, and can be used practically freely. Maybe you should start listening to stuff there, to get your inspirations... Also, there are site called jamendo.com, but I'm not sure, if music there can be reused for own purposes.

Hope it helps your situations at least a bit . Hold on, Ross, we're with you!

My suggestions are twofold:

(1) Upload a DMCA-friendly version to YouTube and a different copy to Vimeo or some other website. You could post links to the other site on your YouTube video or on Accursed Farms. Only thing is I guess it could take up too much time to edit two different videos.

(2) Get your new composer to write some stuff similar to the music you want to use, but just different enough to be acceptable. id did this with a lot of songs in Doom, so why not you?

I am also a soundtrack freak, tho in my case the bulk of my collection is old Amiga mods etc, so often largely 8bit 4channel stuff, but all in it's original format, so hence I use DeliPlayer to play it. 283hours in about 2Gb isn't bad - if I expanded them all to mp3 or similar my collection would be huge (and I'd lose all the fun text content in the mods).

Unfortunately the site I got most of it from is down as of late 2006 so only shows up on http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.back2roots.org and DeliPlayer seems to have become abandonware too...I must be old or something.

Fuck you Ross, you said a video was coming out this month. You suck!

I admire your fortitude. None of us have the right to say 'keep on going' or 'more more more' but it happens and you are gracious enough to keep us enthralled with the ever brilliant videos you produce. Really, all we can do is say 'Good Job' and hope this inspires you to make more.

So, as I said, I admire your persistence through this. I know it's tough enough without all the knit picky garbage you have to put up with. I do want to congratulate you on a great series of videos and I want to let you know that I personally do appreciate the time and effort put into them. Quality speaks for itself. I do however agree with earlier posts about providing appreciative fans with a simple PayPal donate button. They're really not hard to create and it would further confirm to you how much people appreciate your work.

Great job Mr. Scott!

@Anonymous at 16:18:26

It's only the 28th, you dick. Who knows, Ross may have another pigeon video to give us!!

You should check out Newgrounds' audio portal. There's some good stuff in there that you might be able to freely use. And some of the composers could also be willing to make music specifically for your videos. (like Craig) Check out MaestroRage on Newgrounds. Definitely my favorite composer and he's made music for plenty of games.

OMG I understand you

I Love video game composition games myself, most of it all is Halo, Metroid, Half life and Doom.

Keep up the good work boyo.

copyright laws are so utterly fucked...

Meant to say that logged in, but I didn't, I'll repost it under my account anyway. That way it doesn't sound like a random anonymous post.

Ross Scott: Heavy Metal would pretty much be my primary style, but I can also do other types of music. The main reason I thought live guitars could help is from the current Civil Protection main theme. As for acoustic music, I'd need a better method of recording it since the only mic I currently have is a headset mic. I could handle that pretty easily though.

im so sorry ross that the bad things going on youtube has cught up to you but dont give up unlike most youtubers you have the power to make a difrence strike a blow for cyber freedom ross!!

Viddler is second only to youtube and still free, and like someone said earlier, challenge youtube and you will most likely win. and even if you happen to lose, try altering it the slightest and if youtube tries, just point at the slight alteration.

Sorry if this has been posted already, but to everyone blaming Google for Youtube's strict laws is out of order... The new system was the direct result of Viacom's lawsuit against Youtube for hosting videos which contain Viacom material (which is basically goddamn EVERYTHING.) Viacom said that if Youtube didn't start seriously filtering videos for Viacom content, they would sue Youtube for some hundred BILLION dollars, as well as sue every family who posted videos with Viacom content for 1 million each, which would basically destroy Youtube forever... So now we can no longer use popular culture music and video in our movies. It's BS, but there's nothing to be done...

And Ross, I don't care how long it takes, just make your videos as good as you desire as an artist- I already have plenty of sources to keep me entertained in the meanwhile, and I prefer your videos to be a special occurrence more than I'd like them to be as frequent (and mediocre) as any of the other directors I have subscribed