The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Magazine scans: http://imgur.com/a/fO9Ty#0

Looks like another WoW clone. Hotbar combat, third-person only and I don't know how they're intending to sell a MMORPG to a fanbase that loves TES for it's single player.

No!! Why make it like Wow? Please do something original ffs!! This whole gaming industry is just ctrl+c, ctrl+v. Why not make it like skyrim online? Is there ANY reason to make it like the already biggest mmorpg in history? They're not gonna top it. I am disappointed to say the least.

"Life sucks sober!"

To paraphrase TotalBiscuit: The way to beat WoW is to be an MMO that isn't copying WoW. WoW is past its prime, going downhill fast, and part of the reason is its interface and way of doing things was fine for the time but completely obsolete now. If you want that WoW market share, you need to forget the false concept that MMO = WoW. Planetside 2 has shit down in that respect, and Elder Scrolls is a step in completely the wrong direction.

I love you, yet can't stand to know you exist.

TB often speaks on things and is completely wrong, many MMOs come out which are nothing like WoW but still fail. For an MMO to be as popular as WoW it has to appeal to a huge audience, think Minecraft, COD etc. None of them are particularly special and all of them blatantly copy what has come before.

Of what is CoD or Minecraft a blatant copy of?

And I agree with Brave/TB, copying WoW won't get you anywhere. Just as copying CoD won't get you those record sales as many developers seem to think.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TB often speaks on things and is completely wrong, many MMOs come out which are nothing like WoW but still fail. For an MMO to be as popular as WoW it has to appeal to a huge audience, think Minecraft, COD etc. None of them are particularly special and all of them blatantly copy what has come before.

But the thing is that many of those MMOs were coming out when WoW was a literally unbeatable juggernaut. Things are changing, and people want/are going to want something different. And are you going to tell me that all CoD clones are financially successful or even really ping on the minds of most CoD fans? No, because they have CoD to fill that niche. And what did Minecraft copy/do to make itself "Not special"?

I love you, yet can't stand to know you exist.

Of what is CoD or Minecraft a blatant copy of?

COD = Medal of Honour for the first three, then Counterstrike mixed with MoH mechanics from the fourth onwards.

Minecraft = Infiniminer, Notch even copied the source code from it.

and people want/are going to want something different.

Hardly, the only difference between now and the PS2 era when it comes to FPS is that we've changed from World War 2 to modern day.

And are you going to tell me that all CoD clones are financially successful or even really ping on the minds of most CoD fans?

I never said that. And BF3 sold over 11 million copies.

BF3 is not a CoD clone.

Saying BF3 is a CoD clone is like saying TES is a Runescape clone.

Battlefield is nothing like CoD, besides the basic shooter aspects like guns and stuff.

Also known as "Username"

BF3 is not a CoD clone.

Battlefield is nothing like CoD, besides the basic shooter aspects like guns and stuff.

Actually it would be like calling TES an Ultima clone.

BF3 is not a CoD clone.

Actually it would be like calling TES an Ultima clone.

Maybe it's just me but seeing an Ultima remake in the style of Skyrim would be fucking awesome. Think about it, towards the end of the first game you get a blaster pistol, a landspeeder and get to fly a goddamn spaceship. Sure, that's all probably mods in Skyrim, but to have it be part of the story? I dunno, just seems interesting at the least.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Maybe it's just me but seeing an Ultima remake in the style of Skyrim would be fucking awesome. Think about it, towards the end of the first game you get a blaster pistol, a landspeeder and get to fly a goddamn spaceship. Sure, that's all probably mods in Skyrim, but to have it be part of the story? I dunno, just seems interesting at the least.

Skyrim is Ultima with lots of snow. When Origin games was destroyed by EA most of the employees went on to join Bethesda, And the original developers were all Ultima fanboys originally. The only thing missing from the TES games is more humour (though there is some in the form of Maiq the liar and so on).

I just got Skyrim. So far it's a lot of fun but I can tell that it could take over my life a bit

I just got Skyrim. So far it's a lot of fun but I can tell that it could take over my life a bit

Make sure you back up your savegames. Its a real pain in the ass when you have to restart everything...

"Life sucks sober!"

It's called quicksaving.

Yeah! When the save file gets deleted, corrupted etc. no problems! Just load it again!

"Life sucks sober!"