Hobbies

Sign in to follow this  

Deejaying

Do tell

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

Australia (Yeah, It's pretty interesting country, I just can't understand why people neglect it so damn bloody much, I mean in my area)

It's because Australia sucks.

-ibxWoEH0_k

Also known as "Username"

Besides learning languages (historical linguistics, etymology, etc.), I play the trumpet. I also love learning about ancient and medieval northern Europe.

It's because Australia sucks.

Y U MAD KIWI?

Because Australia sucks.

Hmmmmm... Yeah, yeah, whatever.

I also like Steampunk and reading about sea adventures/discovers. Film and games music. Deviant Art, AF Forum and nightwood dragons farm.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

3D landscaping, pixel art, firearms, and dresses.

What's hotter than a chick with a gun? A chick with a gun wearing a fancy dress.

Nandi_gun.jpg

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I do alot of reading

Model building mostly WWII era tanks and submarines

And building small solid fuel rockets

and video games lot of em

Trust but verify - R,R

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof - C,S

Take your pick.

And building small solid fuel rockets

I used to, but it gets expensive when just the motors are over $100 each.

Yeah, the only reasons I can really do it is because I live within biking distance of my part-time job and I'm still in high school. Not many bills to pay or gas tanks to fill up.

Trust but verify - R,R

Take your pick.

Gaming,watching and reading anime and manga,physical training and learning about weapons.

"FUCK YOU REALITY!!YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT!!!"

"Hark! Dost thou hear with thine ears what I hear with mine? Interloper! No quarter shall be shown hither, fiend! Anon! Show thyself, churl!"

http://myanimelist.net/profile/MantisDude

Yeah, the only reasons I can really do it is because I live within biking distance of my part-time job and I'm still in high school. Not many bills to pay or gas tanks to fill up.

What's the largest motor you've burned?

What's the largest motor you've burned?

Mostly Class D20-5. Im working on a Class E motor rocket It's going to model the Titan II used for Gemini but with 4 clipped delta fins. Its really painstaking and use of my high schools wood/metal shop has helped alot.

Trust but verify - R,R

Take your pick.

I used to fire off those small rockets as well. Last time I did it the parachute failed to deploy and it went tip first into a rock, compressing into half it's height lol. Haven't really went to do it since. Mostly time and money reasons.

As for hobbies,

Reading

Making games

Playing games

Anime/manga

Archery, though I haven't gotten to do that in years either :(

Retired Forum Moderator

Mostly Class D20-5. Im working on a Class E motor rocket It's going to model the Titan II used for Gemini but with 4 clipped delta fins. Its really painstaking and use of my high schools wood/metal shop has helped alot.

My typical motors were F22-7 Black Jacks in my AeroTech Airspike. I ran a couple G40-10 motors once, but it started melting the nosecone I was using. (Mach 1.5+ will do that) I even got a couple night launches with it. (strap a pair of light sticks to opposing sides of the CG point, and watch it fly) Lowest power I put in it was an E23-7. It had an operator-error induce assembly flaw that made the retaining clip extend past the mounting tube by an extra inch, and I had to use masking tape wrapped around each motor to keep them from embedding too far in the tube to retrieve them. The rocket has over 150 launches, and is still fully functional. (minor damage to the top of the body tube from the parachute's elastic string)

I also had a modified Quest Astra... It held up for over 50 launches without any damage. (then blew away after one launch) Used a custom baffle system and fabric parachute so I never had to worry about melted chute, or having to do anything but pack the chute, insert the motor, and press the button. (I based the design of the baffle off the one in the Airspike)

Biggest modification I made to all my rockets that made them far more durable: Use epoxy (Z-poxy brand 5 or 15 minute cure time 2-part) instead of superglue. It makes a world of difference in both ease of assembly, (even though it does take a little longer to assemble) and in long-term durability.

I used to fire off those small rockets as well. Last time I did it the parachute failed to deploy and it went tip first into a rock, compressing into half it's height lol. Haven't really went to do it since. Mostly time and money reasons.

Failures can be more fun than having a usable rocket afterwards... I had one that decided to detonate the ejection charge before it finished its main burn, so it took a 50 foot horizontal flight at 15 feet of the ground, without a nosecone. I still have the thing, and it has no visible damage.

Another instance where the failure was well worth it, was these guys that had a $5000 custom nitro-fueled rocket they were launching, (O-class I think) and they had it out about 200 yards from the normal firing-line... They had to lie under a ballistic blanket about 100 yards closer to the rocket than the firing line, and they still told everyone that it would be safer if they were behind their cars if possible. They did the 5-second countdown and 1 second after it hit 1...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIPprUxFap8 (it even sounded the same) No pieces left of the rocket that were larger than 1/4 inch that we could find. Launch pad was entirely undamaged.

I was also part of the independent team that officially tested the AeroTech Sumo rocket, and corrected the design flaws. It did way too many nosedives because the nosecone allowed for too much ejection gas expansion area, and it couldn't blow it's top. Corrected it by filling part of it with foam. The entire thing resulted in Civil Air Patrol (the group that tested the Sumo) getting a contract to have extremely inexpensive Airspike rockets for their rocketry program. (think $25 for a rocket and 4 motors)

Too bad you aren't in my area, I have a free range a few miles away, and I just don't have anyone to compete with. (I used to be able to put 3 out of 5 in the bullseye at 50 yards with a 35lb bow, and my last go was a 60lb that I got no bullseyes out of 20 shots at 20 yards)

Too bad you aren't in my area, I have a free range a few miles away, and I just don't have anyone to compete with. (I used to be able to put 3 out of 5 in the bullseye at 50 yards with a 35lb bow, and my last go was a 60lb that I got no bullseyes out of 20 shots at 20 yards)

There's actually a really nice range about 15-20 minutes from where I live but last I heard they were fighting to keep it open because it's by the bottom side of a cliff where the top of the cliff is a rich community that apparently thinks it's an eyesore, even though you can't actually see anything happening from atop the cliff because there's way to many trees. <_<

I hope they're still open. Now that I have some time on my hands again I could probably go back there. Actually become good at archery for once lol. Maybe even build up some arm strength to actually use a stronger pull. So far all i have is a 25lb long bow. Yeah I know, I'm a weakling lol. I did make a set of 12 arrows myself and they fly really well so I'm happy about that, though a few of them have age damage on the fletching, and 2 of them have completely fallen off. :/

Retired Forum Moderator