Can't take the heat

Sign in to follow this  

The 8800GTS has a pretty good heatsink, you definitely have a dust problem. Get a can of compressed air and blow it from the exhaust grille, if you can handle a small screwdriver disassemble the hot box and do the same in a more efficient way. Either way, GET BACK TO WORK! j/k, great job!

Ross: My 8800GTS 512 OC From BFG Gets stinging hot too, I dont artifact or freeze though. I fixed this heat problem by downloading rivatuner and turning the fans to max, mine was a default 37% fan speed. Hope this helps - James

Oh, what's next in the parade of constant interruptions...

Here's some advice from someone else who has lost cards to heat- Get one of the newer model MSI GeForce NX9600 GT cards. Mine has 1gig of memory, great shader performance, and is less energy draining - thus less heat.

I used to use a Radeon X1650 Pro (upgraded from X300 SE which was standard for my 8400), my first one blew and I bought another. This one is SIGNIFICANTLY cooler and less energy drain because some of these newer 9600 models are MADE to be less energy consuming. So try to find one!

This should be mine I believe, I run it on an old Dell 8400 that's from 2004 and have no problems

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127434

Hey Ross.

I'm a viewer for a while and I have an 8800 GT (same as yours, almost) Don't worry about overheating. Mine still works at around 108 celsius while playing HL2. Actually, that's normal for it. Try using RivaTuner ot increase fan speed and get a can of dust-off to blow inside it. It'll help out a lot. The 8800's work at very high temperatures though, so it's not really your fault, only NVIDIA's fault

My friend had been running 2 9800GTX cards SLI'd together for a long time and would get the same problems, first with a frame slowdown and eventually with freezing. So he downloaded 3rd party software that monitored the temperature, fan speed and voltages of his hardware. Just like James at 18:08:40 said, the fan speed was WAY down. Like... under 50% down. He downloaded some things that allowed him to turn up his fans, and he didn't have a problem the entire time he ran SLI.

Now (because of a long story that's not even worth an attempt at an explanation), I currently am running one of his 9800GTX's in my machine and have had to download software that turns up the fan speed to prevent the card from overheating and causing the exact same issues.

The program I use to monitor fan speed is EVGA Precision Fan Control. I'm not sure if it will work with a non-evga motherboard but I think it's worth a shot anyway if it means possibly fixing your issue.

http://www.evga.com/precision/

I hope it helps!

This is your punishment for ... the PIGEONS!

Normally I'd get impatient. But when Ross does a video it's always well done, in great quality, and with bright well written humor. So everything Ross does is of great quality and well spent time. So I can wait.

Ever thought about setting up a donation page to help you offset the cost of getting a new videocard?

You've provided me with plenty of entainment and laughs, and i'd be willing to chip in a few bucks to help you out.

Just an idea.

It's cool dude, we'll wait as long as we need. My card fry's my computer too

well, not enough money for a new card? u never know how much a donate button could help you man

Donation Button!! use paypal, its easy to set up. i would gladly donate 10 bucks for the entertainment value of CP alone. if everyone who posted sent one dollar you would already be able to get a used card off ebay. then maybe run them in SLI and share the workload. anyway keep up the good work and i think we can all handle waiting, but i would be willing to fork over a bit of my hard earned if it might speed things up, and not just with the video card. more money in your pocket means less time working a quote, real job, end quote and more time for you could translate into more CP and Freeman's mind for the rest of us, thats win-win

Hey Ross, sorry to hear about your card, but this is exactly why we want a donation system... c'mon, put up a paypal button or something.

J.C.

Overheating? Ouch. At least nothing started on fire! That happened to my friend because he left some printer paper on top of the case. The phone call that occurred afterwards went as follows:

me: Hello?

friend: MY COMPUTER IS ON FIRE!!! WHAT DO I DO?!?!?

me: Get a fire extinguisher, tackle the flames then kill the power.

friend: 'k. *hangs up*

me: wtf?!?

The computer didn't really start on fire, just the paper on top. Now there's a scorch mark on his pc and he's got a funny story to tell.

Anyways, try RivaTurner. Works for me and my friend as well; too bad he wasn't using it then...

i have 5 words for you: put it in the freezer

Good, bad and good news at a time. The bad news is that the production of videos will be delayed. But passing this, you will have time to answer messages, improve the site and do some things in your life!.

Sincerely, [On hl] Gman

"Freeman's Mind" Katamari Damaci dream sequence episode?

You should try the following:

1- Remove the left cover of your case.

2- Put the case on the floor (so it gets more fresh air).

3- Use a special overclocking tool to speed up the vga fan to 100%

4- Open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur.