Can't take the heat

Sign in to follow this  

That just plain ol' sucks man. I swear if I had an extra card lying around, I'd drive it to you (I left a note about Front Royal, you're like up the road from me.) And if I wasn't so attached to my GTX 275, I'd give you that as well. But I also have to agree with what a couple other people are saying on here, set up a donation page. Set it up through a Paypal account or something. I would gladly donate something to have you continue your work. You have a loyal following, as you can see...

No worries Ross, you do things at your own pace. Don't worry about us. I'm content with waiting. Your work is great, and no one should complain. We get this for free and it's full of great content and quality.

This is art. Also.. really.. if you want donations I'm happy to help you out. You have a bunch of people itching to pitch in, and I'm sure it'd help, really. A few $5 sums from a bunch of people goes a loooong way, you know.

Anyway, I hope all is well, and I look forward to seeing your new stuff on CP and FM. It's great. Best shows I've ever watched.

Peace.

Sorry to hear that... I'm sure everyone can wait though, rushing only makes things worse. Good Luck, (Just from another Freeman's Mind fan)

Well good luck figuring that out. Complaints from us won't help after all, so I figured I'd cheer you up with a mental image of a gigantic robot dinosaur from space with laser beams for eyes and skin made of nuclear explosions levelling major cities around the world.

Well, something similar happened to my 8800GTS some time ago.. It just started crashing the video driver, and show a lot of faulty memory sectors. I guess the fan nearly died. I had to buy a new, shiny GTX470..

Anyway, if you have artifacts ALREADY, consider buying a new card instead. You might end up with a perfectly cooled 8800 with permanent damage already set in. BTW, temperatures like 80-120 celsius (can't be bothered to convert) are pretty much acceptable (albeit strained) operating range for 8800..

I _strongly_ suggest that you check your card with http://majorgeeks.com/Video_Memory_Stress_Test__d5896.html before keeping it.

Do you have like a donate button somewhere? So we can give you money for a new gfx fan/heatsink/card!

i think that for the long term you should invest in a better graphics card, i have an ATi radeon XFX hd 5770, 1 gig, really fast and can handle anything you throw at it, love your work by the way.

Hey Ross, I find it unlikely that your card would overheat that badly, 2 cards for that matter. I mean sure it happens now and again, but for a case with decent airflow overheating shouldn't be a problem. I've got a GTX260 in an Antec P182 case and the airflow is just fine, even with the overclocked CPU. I suggest grabbing a can of compressed air and blowing your case out as much as you can, and possibly doing some cable management inside your case.

I'm not saying it ISN'T overheating, but have you looked at other options too? Like maybe bad RAM or your power supply not providing stable enough voltage? or - 5% on your voltage rails should be the maximum variance, if i remember correctly.

Just some thoughts, trying to get you back on your feet

Well 8800 is a pretty hot card, nothing wrong with that. Modern cards are built to withstand 200F or more with no trouble. I have a very good custom cooler on my R4850 and it still reaches 150F, I can't keep my hand on the heatsink. If your computer has trouble the videocard might not be to blame, especially if the X300SE keeps having trouble as well, it might be the cpu, motherboard, psu or even a software problem. Check for video artifacts for starters.

If you're looking for custom graphics cooling, I love the swiss made Arctic Cooling heatsinks, look for Accelero S1 or Accelero S2 heatsinks. I buy them for $15-20 in europe and accesory 80mm fans (Turbo module) for about $8. The heatsink change is pretty easy and quick. But I don't know if they sell them in the US.

this is where something like adding a donation paypal thing would help you. I bet the fan base has some people that would be willing to get a few dollars, heck it would help you and help us with the assurance that you would have your technology up-to-date or not broken

Do what i did, hook up a car radiator to your computer, never have heat problems again!

I had same problem but my father fix that.

Ross, How about you just get mini desk fans and place them on the parts that get hot, it works for me for when I have to play like Half Life 2 , or Portal or whatever else is busy on the screen (I literally have two desk fans cooling my computer, I need a bigger PC case)

anyway, hoped I helped

Nicholas Carslake

Same advice here as above.

Buy an arctic Cooling Accelero S1, you can put a low rpm (quiet) 12cm system fan on it easily with quickstraps. Of course you have to put it on the VGA, but that's fairly easy.

The S1 is about 25$ a 12 cm system fan 5-10$, so this is pretty cheap and despite that it's good.

I have a setup like this on my 8800GT and the GPU temperature can barely go above 60 Celsius degrees, under load of course, it idles around 40 C.

Also you should check if the system case has adequate ventillation, how clean things are; dust can really mess with heating, clean out everything. Maybe that's all you really need.

And on a side note, high operating temperatures shorten the lifetime of your hardware, and not just the VGA, heat has a bad "habit" to radiate, also warm air tends to flow away from the hot surface, so it can damage say capacitors on the mainboard, which (ordinary cylinder shaped ones) are particularly sensitive to high operating temperatures.

Clean out your stuff (blow off the dust). After that install some software like Rivatuner,Speedfan and check the temperatures, 60 Celsius degrees is the preferred max temp imo, so if the GPU, or CPU is much above that you should consider upgrading your cooling solutions.

So that's that, I hope it helps. Keep up the great work I really enjoy your videos.

You have a Nvidia card so to manually set the GPU fan to 100% just:

1. right click desktop select Nvidia control panel

2. select the performance tab on the left

3. go to device settings on the left

4. select GPU in the middle

5. under cooling click the bubble that says manual

6. push the slider to 100%

Hope this helps I had heat issues forever. I got sick of it and got me a case with a jumbo 25cm fan on the side and a jumbo solid copper zalman cpu cooler and i leave most of my fans cranked to 100% most of the time.

I've got a Radeon X1550 and a G-Force 7600 GT sitting here on my desk. I pulled them both out of systems I cannibalized, you're welcome to them. They are literally just sitting here on my desk, kinda dusty, and without anti-static bags.

You should make a chip in thingy for a Radeon 5850

I was actually just going to suggest taking out the card, and vacuuming it (that always helps on clogged up fans and heatsinks), but many other people in here have other good suggestions. Anyway I'm sure you have already tried that.

Myself I have a factory-overclocked 8800GSX from eVga, bought it 3 years ago and my computer never crashes. Lucky me. ..And I thought 60C idle - 65C load was hot - and there are people here saying that their cards go 80-120C!? Jesus man... Anyway as suggested a hot gfx card can really damage the rest of your pc.

I lost a harddrive because it was too close to my card, then the new harddrive I got from the vendor started having the exact same issues (same placement in the tower). That's when I pulled myself together and moved the hdd to a different slot..

Now if your card is hotter than usual, it almost always is a dust problem, otherwise applying new cooling paste betwen the fan and your gpu's processor can make a world of difference if there isn't enough as it is.

Even though I'm not exactly a rich guy these days, I would be happy to throw a few dollars your way without expecting to get anything back. As others have said - it should be considered as a thanks for all the cool stuff you have already made.

Take care

Somebody give him some fucking money.