Video encoding experiment

For those of you how met a problem with playing ANY video-format under WindowsOS, please, use kmplayer or PotPlayer (main programmer leave project kmplayer and starts his own).

IMHO, PotPlayer - one of the best player and easily can play almost ANY video- and audio-formats. PotPlayer >> the rest of all other video-players.

My voice for MP4 as cross platform format — windows, macos, ios, windowsphone, (for linux and android im not quite sure, but macos based on the same unix system as linux-family)

Computer Specs:

Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo: 2.00GHz speed

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

2.00GB of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS (integrated into the system board)

I have K-Lite Standard installed. I tried running the formats in MPC-HC and Windows Media Player. If I did have stuttering, it usually wasn't at any place in the video specifically.

It sounds like your laptop just has a hard time decoding h264 at full speed. To fix that I highly recommend coreavc (commercial, but around on torrent). Any "stuttering" you experience in the HD videos will most likely disappear with that. I'd also recommend that you remove the klite pack and replace it with CCCP, but that's not entirely necessary.

I had a feeling that it was my own setup rather than the files themselves. It's not really designed for performance. I'm looking into CoreAVC; I'll probably get it. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm curious as to why you would recommend getting CCCP over K-Lite. I'm not trying to be condescending; I'm just enjoying learning how all this stuff works.

I had a feeling that it was my own setup rather than the files themselves. It's not really designed for performance. I'm looking into CoreAVC; I'll probably get it. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm curious as to why you would recommend getting CCCP over K-Lite. I'm not trying to be condescending; I'm just enjoying learning how all this stuff works.

I recommend CCCP over other codec packs like klite because it is generally the most stable and supported ffdshow-based codec pack available. Klite used to be king back in the days of, well, klite. With all the movies downloaded from p2p, a codec pack became necessary and the one with the associated name became most popular. Awhile after klite died, the codec pack became pretty bloated and cluttered and ended up causing problems for people with being unstable. More recently though I see it has cleaned up its act and is a decent codec pack overall. I still recommend CCCP over it because CCCP tends to be simpler with one flavor (unlike klite's 4 different packs) that is still fully complete for all decoding needs. It also tends to be more widely used and comes with a useful settings dialog that is helpful for basic users.

But if what you have is working fine for you without problems, it's not that important to make the switch. Though coreavc would definitely provide a massive performance boost in your case. As long as it overrides ffdshow's avc filter, you should be fine.

You can actually have CCCP and CoreAVC installed simultaneously and reap some of the benefits of both.

That's what I implied. Either cccp or klite with coreavc. Otherwise he'd be missing ffdshow.

For what it's worth, I encountered minor stuttering on CCCP (though I used CCCP 2 years ago on XP without any problems), K-Lite, and the CoreAVC trial on MPC-HC when doing testing . The only solution I've found so far that's worked (thanks to a viewer helping me out) was using MPC-HC with the MadVR renderer, and even THEN after unchecking the "present several frames in advance" option or it. As he explained it to me, this has to do with some Direct3D functions and how they're called. It's likely Nvidia's drivers are a culprit in this, I'm just glad I was able to sort it out. I'll check out Potplayer though and do some tests on it to see how it performs, I hadn't heard of that one before.

I'm pretty new to all of this video format stuff, but hopefully I can still be helpful.

Computer Specs:

Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo: 2.00GHz speed

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

2.00GB of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS (integrated into the system board)

7236163.jpg

I just... I don't even...