Signatures getting removed

Guys, take it to the MLP thread, this is completely off topic. Back on the signatures, I still haven't been told whether it would be possible to have an option in the UCP to hide signatures altogether. This option could be on by default so no new users would complain.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't understand how I was off-topic. I was arguing that we should be aloud to keep signatures for the listed reasons. He then gave an argument and I gave a counter-argument. While I didn't mention signatures, it was what is known as an inferred thesis to the post.

But I think someone should make a UCP navigation guide so people realize they can block what tyey don't want to see.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

You were talking about ponies, which I don't think is the main reason why signatures got removed. Anyway I looked and there actually already is an option to display signatures. So if that would be on "no" by default, there should be no complaints and the users who DO want to see signatures can still use/see them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ponies were actually a major factor in the signature removal. A lot of people were complaining about MLP and extra large signatures. Read all of the posts on page 1 and you'll see what I'm talking about. And yes, that sig display option is in the UCP, that's why I said we need a Navigation guide for it.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

Ponies were actually a major factor in the signature removal. A lot of people were complaining about MLP and extra large signatures. Read all of the posts on page 1 and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I know he was getting complaints about it, but I didn't think that was an actual reason why he removed the signatures, because quite frankly its a really stupid reason.

And yes, that sig display option is in the UCP, that's why I said we need a Navigation guide for it.

But I didn't know that until just now ^^

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, it is a stupid reason, isn't it? That people have to bother Ross because they don't enjoy another person's tastes.

That is exactly why we need a Navigation Helper, because even you, a long-time user, didn't know it was there until just now.

My opinion on this matter:

While it is understandable that large signatures are very distracting and can

make page size larger than monitor size (Rainbow Dash), a signature is kind of a form of self-expression that a forum-user has. If you complained about Rainbow Dash's sigs, that's understandable, but most of the people with sigs (a lot of them from KT) had modest-sized images, whether they were of ponies or something else. Complaining that a My Little Pony fan has ponies in their area of posting that allows them to freely express themself, is downright immature and ridiculous. Don't complain because you don't like what they like. Pony spam in threads, on the other hand, has been dramatically reduced from the forum war we had before, and as far as I see, you can't complain if a pony image is relevant.

In short, signatures should allow pictures, but the picture sizes should be limited. And if a person exceeds that limit, warn them once, then ban them. Something this insignificant should not become cumbersome to Ross. Anti-Bronies, grow up and stop complaining about how many forums are being overrun by ponies, because that's not happening anymore. Bronies, check the size and relevance of your pictures before posting. And, if you have a minor complaint, don't email Ross. That's like calling the President because Jehovas keep knocking on your door. PM a mod before you go about making a huge deal out of small issues.

Thank you for your time.

Really when the forum was created, I just added in signatures because that's generally what people expect in a forum. I don't use them myself in other forums and I think most of what's on a signature would be better for a person's profile page. After seeing huge images and lots of animations since, I've kind of regretted having that. For me, forums are all about information and communication and seeing pictures everywhere (of anything) can interfere with that. Many forums don't even have signatures or avatars, it's not unheard of. I'm trying to appease the majority of people for things I don't have a strong opinion on, signatures were initially like that. The majority of the complaints I was getting were about the images and not MLP, but a significant portion was about that.

As for the ponies, even without the complaints (but especially because of them), I'm still not sure what to make of this. What I DID notice was that on multiple threads I was interested in reading, I was seeing 20+ pony pictures per page, when the discussion had nothing to do with that. I was seeing so many pony pictures just from signatures, avatars, etc. that it was outnumbering every other kind of picture type. Since I'm not interested in ponies, living or otherwise, this felt rather weird to see on my forum. So even though people were just expressing themselves, the reality was the forums here were getting flooded with pony pictures, which isn't what I want the forum to be about. It's the same thing if these forums had pictures of marijuana leaves all over them, moreso than any other kind of image. It's not related to the videos, it's not related to my own interests, yet it's somehow dominating my own forum.

Anyway, I think removing the signatures makes all of this a non-issue, makes the forums more readable (for me at least), and makes it so I don't have to ostracize any group, which is a losing battle in itself. Today people are upset over ponies, tomorrow it's PETA, the next day it's ewoks, etc. This makes things less of a headache for me so hopefully I have more time to focus on the videos themselves. I'm happy for everyone to watch my videos who are interested in them, regardless of whatever else they're interested in.

I understand your siding and I can respect it. The way I always saw it was that aslong as it was relevant, any picture was tolerable. But with the Point you made, I understand how, even if the response is relevant, the same types of pictures with just different responses can be tiresome. Though I feel signatures shouldn't be scrutinized for this, I get where you're coming from.

I agree with you to some extend. And I understand how signatures can become very annoying to some people, but that is why I suggest to simply set display signatures to "no" by default. That way the people who are new or are annoying by signatures don't have to deal with them, but the people who DO want to see/use signatures can simply turn it on. It should be really easy to do and would please both the people who want and the people who don't want to see signatures.

Edit: Ninja'd

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ross: i find that difficult to argue with, in the end this is your forum. how am i going to tell you what to tolerate on it? in the meantime you need as little stress as possible, i know you can't please everyone, life's a bitch like that. well, i'll leave you to your voice acting man. ;)

unrelated: i'm really looking forward to the next CP, stay good Ross. :)

edit: double ninja'd

I agree with you to some extend. And I understand how signatures can become very annoying to some people, but that is why I suggest to simply set display signatures to "no" by default. That way the people who are new or are annoying by signatures don't have to deal with them, but the people who DO want to see/use signatures can simply turn it on. It should be really easy to do and would please both the people who want and the people who don't want to see signatures.

Edit: Ninja'd

This option does already exist and always has...

This may seem selfish on my part, but only allowing signatures from me then I could regulate size, etc.

>.>

I know that, what I am saying is to set it DEFAULT to off, so every new user that comes to the forums doesn't see any signatures.

Edit: Ninja'd again o.o

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The reasons behind the removal of images from signatures seem fine to me. Although I am sure it's possible to auto-limit the size of images added to signatures, I've seen it before. Anyway, that's a non-issue now. :)

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

>.>

I know that, what I am saying is to set it DEFAULT to off, so every new user that comes to the forums doesn't see any signatures.

I feel so ignored.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Freeman would kick your assess with a crowbar if he knew what so called grown up men are fascinated with.

Oh, Really?

tumblr_lpxfsoRcH11r1bkuso1_500.jpg

I'm reading through all of the posts to see if there's any possible way images will be re-allowed in signatures.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Also known as "Username"

>.>

I feel so ignored.

I think it's simply that images in signatures are now disabled, and things are currently going to stay as they now are.

EDIT:

Rainbow Dash, please keep to the topic, thanks. :)

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Lack of signatures doesn't bother me any, but I guess some people put more thought and work into theirs than others. Understandable, but at the end of the day only one person here actually owns this forum.

Ross, I have a poll/petition in the Free-For-All. Do you think, if a large majority say they want images in signatures back, you could restore them?