Ever wonder what death is like?

Sign in to follow this  

I would imagine it to be the total opposite of life, an eternal emptiness of nothingness of which you are unaware of and don't exist in, as I believe in no supernatural afterlife. I like to focus on life, death is the literal enemy of life and not something to occupy your life with thoughts of.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

I have to agree, Not really too afraid of dying, but I wouldn't want to die alone

"Fat People Not Good"

I really don't think dying alone would be as scary as living alone forever.

Dying alone seems like it would just be a quick deal, but if you had to live with it? Bleh

I am not scared of death, but the thought of forever after that makes me scared. I think of dying...my body is gone forever but what about my soul? my bodily aura? where does that go. Heaven? Hell? Summerland?, I just dont like the thought of it. When you die your brain ceases to be, but if that is the case and you go somwhere else, how do you percieve to think and even talk? Death to me is eternal blackness, and me knowing that I am dead, and yet I cant say or do anything but sit alone in the blackness...knowing but not knowing where I am. Thinking about life and death confuses me to no end...what happens? I dont know because I dont talk to dead people.

This is the end of the line, and I'll rip you apart for what's inside.

Compensating wealth for what's more and more worthlessness.

The end of fear, the end of your life, I'll kill you right now, fucking die.

I think Ayn Rand said something like, "I'm never going to die; the world will just end."

That always makes me feel better. Also, being alive is a form of energy (I guess) and energy cannot be created or destroyed. Who knows? Maybe it's fun to be a plant.

Death is what a camera sees when you turn it off.

In less metaphorical terms, death is non-existence of the consciousness. Processing in the brain shuts down, the same as a computer when the power is cut. The inability to comprehend this end in function is caused by the way the brain works. It only takes in basic information, and forms complex conclusions based on experience. The consciousness, by logical certainty, cannot experience it's own non-existence, and cannot understand a state of being which is not based on it's own experiences. Imagining death is like imagining a sixth sense. The imagination immediately will relate this new concept to one of the existing 5 senses. The same goes for death. Just as the consciousness cannot truly imagine a new type of sensory input, the conscious brain relates death to the only experience it knows, which is life. This inevitable and involuntary connection is what leads to the conclusion of the afterlife. The consciousness cannot imagine it's own non-existence, so it subconsciously rejects it, filling in this hole with known experience.

yes, i do. quite often in fact. for me just imagining what death is like is terrifying, everything that you know just suddenly being over? that's scary. like trying to grasp the idea of what nothing is. nothing is nothing, no black, no white, the human brain can't comprehend what true nothing is. now i'm speaking from a stance of a non-religious man, so please don't take my viewpoint into offence.

okay, there is a part of me that does want god to exist, my Christian upbringing along with many unexplained things that...i just can't bring myself to settle with the conclusion that god does not exist. for me, that's some sort of sign. now, what follows is my imaginings of what death is like for a man going to heaven.

you just finished your last three breaths. immediately you wake up in an environment straight out of a Tool music video, or maybe something like the movie "Lovely Bones", this is Purgatory. you meet god, he looks just like you. now his personality is what's important because if his personality is sort of hostile than he already judged you, and you fail. but if he's acting like the kindest thing you've ever seen, like one who would give a stranger a hug, than you can breathe, you're in the clear. anyway, you've got so many questions to ask him, but you've forgot them. in fact, you can't really remember anything, you don't even remember talking about your sins with the man. god does this because he doesn't want you to grieve those you've left while living it up in heaven. you don't know it, but this entire process took 20 years, what felt like a 10 minute encounter actually took decades. then you ascend you feel weightless, your body feels amazing, and you're extremely happy and you don't need any sort of reason.

i do have a personal Heaven, but i'm not going to share that. i'd like to keep that to myself. you probably expect me to tell you what i imagine what death is like for a man who's going to Hell. truth is, i haven't really thought about it. i'm not really worried about going there.

anyway, as always, this ended up a little longer than intended, but i was on a roll. :)

any questions? i'll answer them. i'm very open to my beliefs.

I contemplate death on an hourly basis... Never very successfully because of this feeling that I can't get over that I won't allow myself to die.

Not the physical me, but the me that I am, the one that composes these segments of text that you're reading, the one that dreams through time, that part that senses the existence of God despite all the things that try to conspire to remove my faith...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

...I remember giving in for a brief moment being at total peace with my impending doom. I took a full breath of water into my lungs as I blacked out. That feeling of accepting the water into me was one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced. I came too on the side of the pool...my older brother had saved me and I was coughing up water.

When I was in a darker time in my life I did contemplate suicide....the only thing holding me back at one point was the knowledge of how much my death would hurt the people I cared about. I realize that to get to that point in your life where you just want to end it really sucks and it seems like the best option....but suicide is also one of the most selfish things a person can do as far as I'm concerned.

I had a similair drowning experience, and I fully agree that suicide is selfish.

We can never see ourselves as others see us. Even the mirror shows us in reverse.

If there was any logic in this world, it would be men who ride side-saddle, not women.

Death is pretty much just absence of life so that's pretty much it. As far as existence is concerned, once you're dead, you're gone and whatever afterlife there is... well, we can only speculate, but for my part it gives hope and comfort knowing there might be more. I don't see it as an excuse to want to die or not live life to the full extent though, this life still matters of course.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I just hope afterlife contains a brand-spanking-new copy of Half Life 3.

All I need. Plus maybe some pizza.

Are we talking about death or dying?

Your going to piss and shit yourself first, as you lose bowel control. After that the mind is still said to show activity for quite a while. Then every cell in your brain slowly dies off, due to the inability to transport toxins and waste products away from and fresh oxygen towards it. Brain tissue effectively suffocates, but I don't think it compares to drowning.

Hold your hand straight up in the air and move your hand and fingers around for as long as you can. Blood will drain away and the muscles in you hand will go through much of the same process. That has to be an approximate experience. That and passing out. Maybe. I don't know.

So yeah, better make the best of things now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 55 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.