What are you listening to?

The sound of my laptop cooler fan, and the space heater...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Death by tinnitus. (written by my own ears as they try to give out on me)

Seriously? You have tinnitus, Bullseye? Have you been hitting that cowbell too much?

Also, Christopher Walken has a fever and only you can cure it...

Seriously? You have tinnitus, Bullseye?

Yes... It's actually caused by the fact that I've always been able to hear much higher frequencies than normal... Until I started getting tinnitus I was able to hear as high as 31kHz... And then any time the old CRT TV was on, I could hear the tube running, same for almost any electronics. I could even tell when a monitor was going to die about a month before it gave any physical signs of failure, just because of the sound it made.

On topic: Back to the trance station...

Yes... It's actually caused by the fact that I've always been able to hear much higher frequencies than normal... Until I started getting tinnitus I was able to hear as high as 31kHz... And then any time the old CRT TV was on, I could hear the tube running, same for almost any electronics. I could even tell when a monitor was going to die about a month before it gave any physical signs of failure, just because of the sound it made.

But WOW, that's amazing! I could always hear the sting of a TV as well, but never heard anything that high. I guess I'm glad now...

Seriously? You have tinnitus, Bullseye?

tinnitus aside, this is actually normal for a lot of people. 20hz-20khz is the average hearing age of adults after the decline in hearing range takes place due to aging. I was always able to hear the ringing in the tube TV and monitors but as of the past few years I no longer hear it. Although according to my last hearing test, my hearing is still above normal in range detection. I don't really believe it because I'm practically deaf in my right ear.

ANYWHOTHATSNOTTHEPOINTOFTHISTOPICNOWFORWHATIMLISTENINGTOINMYSTILLCAPABLELEFTEAR. (google thinks this is spelled correctly.)

GjnHGk98QRk

Retired Forum Moderator

I can still perceive audio as high 24kHz, but only "hear" it as high as 17.5kHz... (perceiving audio and hearing it are two different things, trust me)

Again, tinnitus, and the sound of my laptop fans..

I can still perceive audio as high 24kHz, but only "hear" it as high as 17.5kHz... (perceiving audio and hearing it are two different things, trust me)

Again, tinnitus, and the sound of my laptop fans..

I understand that actually. I had a sound class last quarter and when I messed with some of the electronic instruments I occasionally made some "sounds" that I couldn't really hear but could tell was there. Can't really say how, sorta like a pressure in my head if that makes sense.

IfFi4Q7ueA8

(this song is super smooth for any guitar fans :P)

Retired Forum Moderator

Yup... It's the vibrations of the parietal bone that translate into a sensation for a lot of extreme high frequencies... (over about 19kHz from my experience) It varies by the individual, and how much they pay attention to the difference in sensations, but it averages a 5-6kHz range starting between 17kHz and 22kHz.

Camel returning to their classic sound here...

gNmDOKNHIb4 PB6KOW9lUbc

Rhythmically written in the metre of a walking camel...

Regards