Webcomics Discussion Thread

Sign in to follow this  

So, this being a forum loosely involving video games that is on the internet, I'm sure there are a good few number of people here who are fans of webcomics.

So I guess that's why I'm making this.

So I suppose here is a nice place to discuss developments about/gush over your favorite webcomics.

My personal list of favorites:

Homestuck (And MSPA in general, really)

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja

XKCD

Brawl in the Family

Dinosaur Comics

F@NB0Y$

Concerned (One of the best Gmod comics I've seen)

Anyone else?

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

I don't really read webcomics to be honest, but I might check out those.

Oh cool.

I guess I should explain what they are first...

Homestuck - A story set up in the form of a text adventure game (but with pictures... And flash animations w/ music) about 4 kids who play a game that has some huge consequences. Be warned, this thing is like 3000+ pages long already (it's only started 2 years ago) and updates like 5 pages a day. Plus it's one of the more confusing stories out there. This isn't like one of those comics that updates like maybe once a month. This is quite the opposite. This is also my favorite in the list.

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja - A comic book style comic about an Irish ninja doctor and his 12 year old mexican gunslinger sidekick named Gordito who grew a mustache out of sheer force of will and rides a velociraptor named Yoshi. While it may sound ridiculous (and it certainly is) it actually has a really good story, excellent characters, and hilarious moments. This isn't just lol random awesome things happening for no reason like Axe Cop, this is an actually structured story that is simultaneously ridiculously awesome. A HUGE recommend.

XKCD - Pretty well known. Stick figure comic about science. Not AMAZING, but certainly amusing. About as nerdy as it gets. It's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, though. Especially if you're not a computer person...

Brawl in the Family - A gag comic that updates twice a week about the characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Most early jokes revolve around Kirby eating silly things and him changing into humourous forms. After that, though, it certainly has some clever humour, and a certain charm if you're a Nintendo gamer.

Dinosaur Comics - A rather strange comic that has the same 6 panels everyday, just with different text. Not nearly as bad as it sounds. Mostly about complex philosophical arguments brought down to hilariously simple levels. Not an archive binge-worthy comic, to be sure, but a nice thing to look at every day. Again, not for everyone.

F@NB0Y$ - A gamers on a couch comic done right. Has humourous characterization mocking the 3 main types of console fanboys (well, one is a girl) and fairly interesting stories. Two of the side characters are a PC gamer and a table top gamer, but they don't show up too often. Not the best on this list, admittedly, but again, it has it's own little charm. Also, it's not exactly updating much anymore, maybe only once or twice a year at most. Worthy of a look at, at least...

Concerned - One of the best Gmod comics I've seen. Follows the adventures of one Gordon Frohman (That's FROHMAN!) as he bumbles his way through the half life 2 universe. Has a lot of humourous lampshade hanging of the series, as well as a generaly goofy sense of humour. If you've sworn off Gmod comics for good, then you might not like this, but it's certainly fairly well done, and uses the Gmod tools very well. Already finished.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

I'm not too fond of XKCD, but Homestuck is the most entertaining and interesting of webcomics that I've read. When Andrew Hussie described it as a combination of EarthBound, SPORE, and the Sims, that was a pretty accurate representation of the comic's complex story. It's also interesting when you take into account that Hussie makes his living off of MSPA, and so many different aspects of Homestuck and Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff have saturated the Internet and developed into established and well-known memes.

Sometimes XKCD. I follow TheOatmeal.com religiously; but I'm not sure that counts as a webcomic. That's about it.

Of all the webcomics I have heard of or seen, I have probably read XKCD the most. I have found it to be quite amusing sometimes.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Descriptor, somehow I managed to read every one of the comics you listed, good choices. I wish F@NB0Y$ still updated though. Anyway, I think I have too many webcomics I keep up with to list them all without losing interest, so I'll pick some of the better ones that I figure more people will enjoy. I'll provide links, but most of them link directly to the main page, so if I say something about read from the beginning, just move to the first comic.

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal: Great daily (even Saturdays and Sundays) comic that is pretty consistently hilarious. No characters to worry about and periodic nerd jokes. It was originally a single panel comic, but that's starting to rarely be the case these days. Be sure to mouse over the red button under the comic for an extension of some sort. Um, but don't check out today's, it may disturb you.

The Book of Biff: This comic is actually consistently single panel, and I'd consider it pretty awesome. It follows Biff in his random daily activities, but in a sort of off the wall way. It's hard to explain, but I enjoy it.

Blank It: This comic is more of a series, so you'll need to read it from the start. It manages to be quite hilarious at times, and callbacks are really important. It follows two guys lost in some endless expanse of something. Anything else I might say could spoil things for you.

Boxer Hockey: Boxer Hockey is a great webcomic with an excellent art style and great humor. It follows a team of Boxer Hockey players and all their crazy antics. I should also explain Boxer Hockey since it's very peculiar. Two goals, three runners, blunt instruments, and genetically engineered frogs used to score. It's another story driven comic that you should read from the start.

Nedroid: Nedroid is awesome, that is all.

Nerf Now!!: Gaming comic with lots (perhaps too much) of fan service. Most notable for TF2 Comics, I think.

Moe: Moe is awesome, but don't know how to describe it very well. For a comic as random as this, you wouldn't expect much in the way of story arcs, but they're there. The only downside is a lack of a consistent update schedule.

Everyone should check these out because I have excellent tastes in everything, especially webcomics.

i read MSPA (homestuck) and Dr. McNinja. both of those are awesome. especially MSPA.

i also read kid radd, but that stopped quite a while ago, annoyed i wasn't there while it was going.

i can't think of any more but i may of forgotten something.

eddsworld aint bad

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

Gone with the Blastwave

It's a comic about a post-apocalyptic world where three factions, Red, Blue, and Yellow, fight over a seemingly never-ending, bombed-out city. It's great because the two soldiers have the same relationship as Mike and Dave do in Civil Protection.

Man, I wish Gone With the Blastwave updated more frequently. Such a great comic. I hadn't thought of the comparison to Civil Protection, but you're totally right.

XKCD

Shortpacked!

Dumbing of Age

Questionable Content

Evil, Inc.

Erfworld

Order of the Stick

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

I visit xkcd every so often. not so much lately.

I have, however, been following Least I could Do. Crude humor but I love it. XD

Retired Forum Moderator