Role-Playing Games

9 hours ago, BTGBullseye said:

FYI, there are 6 games in the Avernum series, all based off the original games called "Exile".

Thank you Captain Useless Trivia.

As for Avernum, looks interesting, but I'm not a fan of isometric games, especially RPGs. I know my brother was big on Diablo and Baldur's Gate, so something like this might be up his alley.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Should've written up a reply sooner TBH

On 7/28/2019 at 3:09 PM, Psychotic Ninja said:

More or less. It's not exactly black and white. I still enjoy TES, and Witcher 3 (although I was kinda getting tired of it towards the end, and kinda rushed through the story), I just kinda lean more towards JRPG's. Which is kinda funny, cause Final Fantasy XV acts more like a Western RPG than a JRPG. And yeah, I do consider something "Go to this location and bring back this important item" a Fetch Quest.

You may enjoy the Souls series + Bloodborne. They have a bit of a learning curve and are honestly often terrible at explaining new concepts and mechanics, but it is a really solid ARPG series with less of an emphasis on quests and more of an emphasis on bosses. There's also Sekiro, though that one's less of an RPG and has slightly different mechanics.

the name's riley

Tried Darksouls 1 and Bloodborne. Not a fan of the stamina meter. I'm also not big on "difficult" games/games with a learning curve. That said, I also really enjoyed Kingdom Hearts 2 (Final Mix) and 3 Critical Mode. The story might not be your thing, but KH2 and 3's Critical mode is very fair (unlike the other titles), and if you want added difficulty, you can try Level 1 Critical Mode. The only real downside is you have to beat KH2 once, to unlock it's Critical Mode. Not sure about KH3, seeing as it was added in later (for free).  Now, if there was a Souls like game, without a stamina meter, I might look into it.

Edited by Psychotic Ninja (see edit history)

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I have a love-hate relationship with Bloodborne. I loved everything about it, but this game did not return my affections, and I just could not 'git gud'. I floundered through it however, and somehow beat it, only just barely, and then put down the controller and never touched it again. It's absolutely a game I have fond (horrible) memories of, and it's a fashinating lovecraftian universe I would love to inhabit a bit longer, but that game just does not want me in there...